You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Éire v Switzerland 05.09.19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 56>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 2:21pm
Shane Long not even on the bench again. 

Manager clearly doesn't rate him and sees obefemi as the better option 
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 6:00pm
Cant really say there's a stand out ireland player leading up to the swiss game.

Best we can hope for seems to be getting some game time at club level for a lot of them,

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Shane Long not even on the bench again. 

Manager clearly doesn't rate him and sees obefemi as the better option 

It's strange because he played Long quite a bit at the end of last season. Seems to be completely out of his plans now.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Cant really say there's a stand out ireland player leading up to the swiss game.

Best we can hope for seems to be getting some game time at club level for a lot of them,

Beat one I’ve seen was young Jason Knight today, what composure for an 18 year old
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 8:55pm
Still no game time for Shaqiri. Let’s hope it continues.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 6:27pm
It will be interesting to see how this weekend influences the squad selection, which will happen this week. Also, MM focus on picking players who are actually playing will make for interesting reading. As the likes of Cullen and Arter enjoy full games, the likes of Hourihane and Hendrick have spent more time on the bench. Which in turn, gives James McCarthy good cause to stake a claim on the basis of game time.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

It will be interesting to see how this weekend influences the squad selection, which will happen this week. Also, MM focus on picking players who are actually playing will make for interesting reading. As the likes of Cullen and Arter enjoy full games, the likes of Hourihane and Hendrick have spent more time on the bench. Which in turn, gives James McCarthy good cause to stake a claim on the basis of game time.

Both McCarthy and Hendrick can expect a full 90 in cup matches mid week.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Both McCarthy and Hendrick can expect a full 90 in cup matches mid week.

And a few more should also get gametime, likes of the 2 Longs and Clark for example. The timing of these EFL cup games have worked out OK for us, otherwise there would be lads heading to the squad that haven't kicked a ball in a competitive game since May.

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 11:01pm
Devils advocate, are fixtures (in a subordinate cup) against lower league opposition (save for Newcastle) actually the same as what some of the lads in the Championship are strong week in and week out. How many match day squads has Clark been in?

My interest is simply based on McCarthy’s own rhetoric.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 11:16pm

Devils advocate, are fixtures (in a subordinate cup) against lower league opposition (save for Newcastle) actually the same as what some of the lads in the Championship are strong week in and week out. How many match day squads has Clark been in?

Fair point, and they quite possibly aren't. Still, it's better than nothing and more competitive than a reserve game I suppose. Clark was an unused sub in 2nd Newcastle game, not on bench for today or the first one I think. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 11:20pm

Mick won't give a monkeys. As long they get decent minutes in any way a competitive match, that will do him. 
GINN2 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GINN2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 12:01am
Let's just reinstate Steve Staunton as manager. At least he tried to play expansive football Thumbs UpClapClap
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 4:58pm
Given Shane Long isnt making the bench, and there are 2 forwards on the bench  ahead of him, there's no guarantee at all he will even start the League cup match.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Given Shane Long isnt making the bench, and there are 2 forwards on the bench  ahead of him, there's no guarantee at all he will even start the League cup match.

Fine by me so long as Obafemi is one of the players who gets a chance ahead of Shlong for Southampton.

irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 12:24pm
sh*t tons of tickets still on ticketmaster for this one. Will be lucky to have 40k there i'd say which is brutal considering how important this game is. 
Here we go again
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

sh*t tons of tickets still on ticketmaster for this one. Will be lucky to have 40k there i'd say which is brutal considering how important this game is. 

Can only imagine what Bulgaria match will have. Especially if it’s a bad result on Thursday 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 12:50pm
How much is cheapest ticket for Bulgaria?
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 1:03pm
As a spectator , if I had to choose one of the games I think I'd lean towards watching the Bugaria game and just find out the result of the swiss game.

The Bulgaria game "should" see us bleed in some new players and maybe even employ a passing game from the back. Even if we lose this would be the more interesting watch.

We all know what the approach to the swiss game will be (and I understood why it needs to be that way) we'll most likely have Whelan and mcclean etc. Will most likely have a smaller share of the possession and will most likely look to go long as our first port of call.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 56>
  Share Topic