You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Éire v Switzerland 05.09.19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 56>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Trap - dinosaur.
O'Neill - dinosaur
McCarthy - dinosaur
Kenny - no dinosaur -

Kenny who is going to turn a bunch of potential youngsters (who mostly have never played a senior game of football in their lives (plying their trade for teams outside top divisions)) into this tiki taka, creative and dynamic team who will out play players who have been performing at the top levels of football for years.

We haven’t qualified for a World Cup in 20 years. What do we have to lose? I suppose we’re going to find out. 

But we need institutional progress and development. The Swiss changed, the Swedish changed, the Portuguese changed, the Belgians changed, the Austrians changed, the Welsh changed, even the f**king English changed. We stood still, now we struggle to beat them. We had a good twenty years where we could kick them around the place and get results.

As a caveat, I like McCarthy and I think he’s done a job improving performances and lifting the players. He also deserves respect for his past as a player and manager in green.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

Crosby87 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crosby87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 3:52pm
I find it funny that people really think Mick is going to step aside if they qualify for Euro.

There is no way he won't want to stay on for WC. Handshake agreements are meaningless. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

While watching the game last night I was thinking to myself, maybe it wasn’t just trap or o’neills fault.
I do think we are a bit more positive under Mick but our biggest shortcomings are nothing tactic related, it’s the players. Some of our players struggle to control basic passes. So everything is much more laboured and forceful, rather than slick.

When they're at their clubs they're surrounded by at least a couple of footballers who can control a ball and have good technique I suppose. Must make a difference, and make them look a bit better

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 3:55pm
And we are top of the group with 3 games to go, qualification is in our own hands (albeit a difficult task).

Kenny is using the 2 years as 21's manager to develop the next gen of players into his style, so that when they do step up in the next few years they'll be ready.

I think this is a good approach by the FAI.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 4:07pm

While watching the game last night I was thinking to myself, maybe it wasn’t just trap or o’neills fault.
I do think we are a bit more positive under Mick but our biggest shortcomings are nothing tactic related, it’s the players. Some of our players struggle to control basic passes. So everything is much more laboured and forceful, rather than slick.
You can’t fault the players, they give it their all apart from henderick who I think is too much of a passenger at times. He can be great in bursts, which makes it even more frustrating. 

I think if we had one top level central midfielder we would be so much better. Not sure who that player could be even looking at the U21.
Did like that guy hodge. Imagine we had Rice and Grealish still, think that would be the difference between being a distant 3rd best in the group vs being the best or close enough 

Our squad is simply not as good as that of Denmark or Switzerland. But there's no disgrace in that and Mick even admitted last night we're not the best team in the group.

We could do with a couple of top class midfielders instead of the journeymen we have, but it is what it is and we're doing very well to remain in contention.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Crosby87 Crosby87 wrote:

I find it funny that people really think Mick is going to step aside if they qualify for Euro.

There is no way he won't want to stay on for WC. Handshake agreements are meaningless. 

The state of every performance so far. Pure pure grit and determination has got a point against Switzerland and Denmark. By right this group should be over by now. 

I think the general public like Mick, but I don't think there's going to be any clamour to keep him on. There might be some good times over the next 9 months. We may qualify for the euros. We may even get out of the group again. Fundamentally I think people want change. People see the new crop of players coming through and want a new manager who hopefully will play a more progressive style. 

maybe it will be a completely failed experiment and we will just know our place in the footballing world, but this idea of not even trying something different and instead just hoofing the ball for the rest of our days really isn't a long-term tactic.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 6:13pm

Trap - dinosaur.
O'Neill - dinosaur
McCarthy - dinosaur
Kenny - no dinosaur -

Kenny who is going to turn a bunch of potential youngsters (who mostly have never played a senior game of football in their lives (plying their trade for teams outside top divisions)) into this tiki taka, creative and dynamic team who will out play players who have been performing at the top levels of football for years.

True HB.
Post-2022 qualifiers if we fail to qualify 
Kenny - dinosaur -

Eh not exactly true.
When we refer someone as a dinosaur it’s regarding the extremely outdated 5 in midfield system. It’s about 3 and a half years out of date.

As discussed only a few pages back results under Kenny are expected to decline but if he keeps the dinosaur system then its a completely pointless appointment. I’m prepared to accept less than ideal results whilst trying out his own ideas and players and I hope the rest of the fans will as it’ll be a transition period for Irish football.

Edited by coyne - 06 Sep 2019 at 6:14pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 6:36pm

And we are top of the group with 3 games to go, qualification is in our own hands (albeit a difficult task).

Kenny is using the 2 years as 21's manager to develop the next gen of players into his style, so that when they do step up in the next few years they'll be ready.

I think this is a good approach by the FAI.

To be fair, there team have 11 points (barring a Gibraltar miracle)

But totally agree here.

I don't think Mick is a dinosaur either, the first half seen us try to play the ball out from the goalkeeper which you would never see under MON 
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 7:21pm
What was last nights attendance?
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

What was last nights attendance?

44,111 was the official figure
Crosby87 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crosby87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 7:46pm
Looked like 44,093 to me. 
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Some people are going to be very disappointed ifStephennKenny doesn’t have us playing like Brazil and qualifying for finals.
Do you mean all the experts on here gufct ? LOL

I have not once heard anyone on here say they expect Ireland under Kenny to play like Brazil and qualify regularly for finals. It is an embarrassing comment that you and a couple of others keep parroting on here. It's childish beyond belief.

We are in an absolutely grim place football wise. McCarthy is a dinosaur. Unless we get an incredibly kind playoff draw we won't make Euro 2020. As Green Devil was saying the shortsightedness of the FAI and fans on this is scary. We lost 12 months under MON where we could have started to transition the squad, we are losing another 12-18 months under McCarthy.

That time lost will kill us in future. We are now years off putting together a squad capable of qualifying for a major tournament and actually competing competently there.

Btw, this whole free hit thing that keeps getting mentioned is nonsense. Why is it considered a free hit when you have more younger players in a squad? Maybe we'd actually be a better football team without some of the more established players? 

Just keep repeating the same verbal diarrhea about lots of people being disappointed when Kenny doesn't turn Ireland into Brazil though. Utter f*cking nonsense.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 06 Sep 2019 at 7:58pm
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 8:25pm

Trap - dinosaur.
O'Neill - dinosaur
McCarthy - dinosaur
Kenny - no dinosaur -

LOL LOL LOL

This level of nonsense is a sight to behold
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:10pm
My feelings on last night.

Hard not to feel slightly deflated after it. 

Can’t explain why but watching it unfold has made me feel that way. 

Like after 90mins - you take it of course especially when going 1 down. 

Switzerland haven’t played us in a while so just did the usual (top seed sh*t) of turn up and expect to beat us. We wouldn’t roll over for anyone. If we didn’t roll over for the world champions we won’t roll over for the Swiss. 

This is where I have main gripe with Mick. With MON before him and Trap before that. Like they were missing key players. We are at home. They haven’t played much (in this) due to NL carry on. They didn’t want to be there. 

Tear f**king in to them. Go after them. Hound them. Don’t sit back and allow them to stroke it around like some mid summer pre season sh*te. Kenny I hope, will go after teams. How many times do we come in at HT & say Jesus we aren’t bad and they’re “ insert any generic top seed here” sh*te. 45 mins is a long time in football. You don’t allow them to get away with it, have the crowd quieten and leave their manager tear them a new one in the dressing room. Which is exactly what happened. 

They came out and actually played. 45 mins too late for me but they played. Dominated us and generally looked a level or 2 above us. 

Look I’ll put it this way. If you score that goal playing junior football from centre back lads would want to be asking questions. Never mind at this level for f**ks sake. Lovely move, finish etc but how did it happen? 

Only positive for me is that under Mick we actually play slightly better ball. We still have the same mentality (should be a given when you play for Ireland) that we have that never say die attitude. How many late goals have we got over the years? 

We shouldn’t have to concede to play. That’s what angers me. It’s the same every time. Bollocks and a cop out. Oh 1-1 is great. It could have been so much better. But as usual with Ireland we live to fight another day.

For me I thought Duffy was superb, Hourihane was decent and Whelan had a good 2nd half.
Was Robinson injured or just wrecked? Did anyone else feel Hourihane came off too early?
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

My feelings on last night.

Was Robinson injured or just wrecked? Did anyone else feel Hourihane came off too early?

Robinson has a strain. Out of the squad with McGoldrick vs Bulgaria. 
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 2:54am
Originally posted by greenscene greenscene wrote:

Might sound silly, but I think the result that may cost us most in this group was the 3-3 between Denmark and the Swiss. Would have really been in our interests for one side to take 6 points in the 2 meetings between them

doesn't sound silly at all. Even a 0-0 would have been fine, it's the fact that in an increasingly likely scenario of a 3 way tie on h2h, they have a 3-3 between them

before the group I'd have said we'd be lucky to score 3 goals in the 4 games against SUI and DEN but nearly achieved that already so what do I know LOL
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 10:32am
When Switzerland had the ball, they seemed to have acres of space and loads of time on the ball. We never looked like that. Not sure if that is players, style, tactics or all 3.

With regards to it being a wasted opportunity not having Kenny in charge now, who do people think he would have (or should have) started Thursday night,  and in place of whom?

Edited by Lenny82 - 07 Sep 2019 at 10:32am
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

When Switzerland had the ball, they seemed to have acres of space and loads of time on the ball. We never looked like that. Not sure if that is players, style, tactics or all 3.

With regards to it being a wasted opportunity not having Kenny in charge now, who do people think he would have (or should have) started Thursday night,  and in place of whom?

That is the question that never gets answered. 
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 56>
  Share Topic