Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Éire v Switzerland 05.09.19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 56>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

It was a great header
it sure was , perfectly aimed , he'll get more for us 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Sponsored Links

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I think the goals that were scored reflect the team that scored it.

Swiss - passing move through the middle of the ireland midfield and defence, a couple of one twos, with one touch football and a pin point side foot into the corner of the net 

Ireland - under pressure, kicks ball aiming roughly for the opposition area, ball hits first man and loops high into the air, lands on the back of mcgoldks head and goes in 

It was a great header

Yep, to generate power and direction is very difficult. Reminded me of Cas's goal against England in 1990.....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:50pm
I really can't help but think that this qualifying campaign was a missed opportunity to overhaul the whole set up (of course it's great we're still in with a chance of qualifying) and gave Stephen Kenny a free hit at blooding as many players into the set up as possible, while also implementing a style of play.

In the short to medium future it will most definitely get worse before it gets better, I said some time ago that while we may continue to grind out results against better opposition our luck will soon run out and we will then spend a number of years in the international wilderness. 

World Cup 2014 Qualifying - 0 wins from 6 games against Germany, Sweden and Austria
Euro 2016 Qualifying - 1 win from 6 games against Germany, Poland and Scotland
World Cup 2018 Qualifying - 2 wins from 6 games against Serbia, Wales and Austria
Euro 2020 Qualifying - 0 from 2 games Denmark and Switzerland

3 wins in 20 games against the better sides in our qualifying groups.

4 wins in 24 games if you include play off games against Bosnia and Denmark.

The odd victory and plucky draws will start turning into defeats very very soon and I would be shocked if we took anything off Denmark or Switzerland in our last two games.

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I really can't help but think that this qualifying campaign was a missed opportunity to overhaul the whole set up (of course it's great we're still in with a chance of qualifying) and gave Stephen Kenny a free hit at blooding as many players into the set up as possible, while also implementing a style of play.

In the short to medium future it will most definitely get worse before it gets better, I said some time ago that while we may continue to grind out results against better opposition our luck will soon run out and we will then spend a number of years in the international wilderness. 

Let's look at the FAI perspective. 

All they care about is qualifying for Euro 2020 because Dublin is a host city, they don't care how Ireland qualify or who's in charge aslong they get there.

Things will most certainly get worse under Kenny because that's when the squad is under a transitional period. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

All they care about is qualifying for Euro 2020 because Dublin is a host city, they don't care how Ireland qualify or who's in charge aslong they get there.

Things will most certainly get worse under Kenny because that's when the squad is under a transitional period. 

Which is short sighted beyond belief imo.

We are in essence delaying overhauling this group of players and style of play, which is way past it's sell by date for another 2 years at least.

We still won't qualify anyhow, I have seen nothing to suggest we can actually beat Denmark or Switzerland.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:21pm

We are in essence delaying overhauling this group of players and style of play, which is way past it's sell by date for another 2 years at least.

We still won't qualify anyhow, I have seen nothing to suggest we can actually beat Denmark or Switzerland.

Agree with everything you say GD, but Coyne has a valid point. In the short term its all about the €€€ especially considering the FAI's financial concerns. Frustrating as it is, better to look to after EURO 2020 for any type of improvement 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Stevens suspended now for the Georgia game.

Who should replace him in the starting XI? 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:25pm
We've got 3 really tough games left and we need to win at least one and not lose the others.

Barring injury or suspension the team last night is the team that will play the last three games.

Even if the highly rated parrott gets a couple of games and even the odd goal with Tottenham from now until then  it's unlikely hes going to be included (maybe a cameo for the last 5 mins)

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:25pm
McClean I would say will slot in at left back and Judge or Brady will play left midfield.

Although I would personally rather see O'Dowda.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Agree with everything you say GD, but Coyne has a valid point. In the short term its all about the €€€ especially considering the FAI's financial concerns. Frustrating as it is, better to look to after EURO 2020 for any type of improvement 

I understand completely re the whole €€€ point of view from the FAI but that will never change.

If we had an organisation where a huge portion of any prize money was pumped back into the LOI and our grassroots I would be less dismissive but the FAI are pinning their hopes on us qualifying to pay off stadium debt and other businesses/persons they owe money to. 
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:29pm

World Cup 2014 Qualifying - 0 wins from 6 games against Germany, Sweden and Austria
World Cup 2018 Qualifying - 2 wins from 6 games against Serbia, Wales and Austria

The odd victory and plucky draws will start turning into defeats very very soon and I would be shocked if we took anything off Denmark or Switzerland in our last two games.

I never really understand the qualifying 'free hit' type mentality. Why would that be a good idea? Surely the aim is to qualify for tournaments? I for one hate watching the World cup or Euros with us sitting at home. We are in a good position in the group and it is entirely possible we could go into the last game against Denmark at home needing a win to qualify. Considering where we were a year ago that would be an excellent campaign and who would write us off taking revenge on the cocky Danes? 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

McClean I would say will slot in at left back and Judge or Brady will play left midfield.

Matt Doherty will be back for the Georgia game, if McCarthy had any sense he would play him at left back or even look at Cunningham or Derrick Williams.
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:32pm
Pyro ClapClapClapClap

Looked to be a scrap in the middle of 114 at half time lastnight, anyone see what happened??
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

I never really understand the qualifying 'free hit' type mentality. Why would that be a good idea? Surely the aim is to qualify for tournaments? I for one hate watching the World cup or Euros with us sitting at home. We are in a good position in the group and it is entirely possible we could go into the last game against Denmark at home needing a win to qualify. Considering where we were a year ago that would be an excellent campaign and who would write us off taking revenge on the cocky Danes? 

It's rather simple to grasp, no?

We play a putrid brand of football, constantly riding our luck in games (nabbing draws especially) and are showing no signs of evolving with the majority of the rest of Europe in our style of play.

Seeing as we have an array of really good young players coming through, do you honestly think they'll be ready to slot straight in the first 11 in just over a years time when we're looking to replace a lot of the players who simply aren't of the required standard?

The bigger picture here is that if we don't qualify for Euro 2020 it will be read 2 tournaments qualified for in 18 years.

But aye, once we're grinding out draws and blagging the odd win against sides around our ranking or higher is going to come back to bite us in the arse.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:37pm

At a base level, not qualifying for the European Championships has now become something for the minow and the unlucky few. With 32 teams you really need to be qualifying. The WC is a little more hit and miss as you are competing, more often than not, for play-off positions. The WC therefore becomes a less reachable goal, and is likely to be seen as a more palatable “free hit”.

I also think that we are assuming way too much about what Kenny would like to do. For arguments sake, say many of the current squad enjoy a good season at club level. Into the bargain, if we qualify for Euro 2020. Between the two, it gives the vast majority of our existing squad a good claim at being retained in the post McCarthy era. Events and intentions may conspire to make Kenny a different Senior Team manager than we might expect.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:40pm

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Matt Doherty will be back for the Georgia game, if McCarthy had any sense he would play him at left back or even look at Cunningham or Derrick Williams.

Cunningham or Williams are not in the squad and are probably unlikely going to be either, and if they are, they will be there to make up the numbers.

Mick has a hard on for Judge, whilst struggling to get game time in L1 - he's going to play under Mick end of.

Which is why I think McClean maybe moved left back to accommodate Judge or Brady.

It will be interesting to see how plays there on Tuesday, as this might be an indicator of who starts against Georgia.

Edited by horsebox - 06 Sep 2019 at 1:40pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Pyro ClapClapClapClap

Looked to be a scrap in the middle of 114 at half time lastnight, anyone see what happened??
I think that is when carlowmans mot farthed 
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:45pm

Realistically, 5 points should be enough to secure qualification (an away win in Georgia followed by 2 more draws). I fancy Denmark to beat the Swiss which could potentially see ourselves and the Danes only needing a point in our final game. A backdoor playoff is almost a certainty should we fail to make the top 2. Plenty of room for optimism and before we know it, Kenny will be heralding in the new era with some serious prospects coming through. The future looks bright
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 56>
  Share Topic