Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Éire v Switzerland 05.09.19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 56>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

The internationals really bring out all the fruits on here with their expert theories on who THEY think should play and why LOL  Really hope Mick reads this forum so as to help him sort a team out 

Is speculating and offering 'expert' theories not part and parcel of being a fan. 

If your a fan of fantasy football maybe LOL
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 10:45pm
Mick’s philosophy is silly imo. He is annoying me a bit

For example, here are his comments on Parrott this week:

Parrott "Problem"

"I was interested to see him in the pre-season games," he said.

"And I was even more interested that he wasn't even involved in the first day of the season.

And if he is, he might cause me a problem. If not, he'll go with Stephen [Kenny] and the U21s.

"I've been happy with the strikers that have been playing to be quite honest.

"If he gets in, in the next couple of games and plays, he's going to cause me a problem and cause Stephen a problem.

"If he's playing in the first-team, then I certainly have to consider him, to have him in the final squad and then to play him."

He basically is saying if he even plays then he will have to strongly consider him to play. Why does he have to wait for Poch? If he thinks the lad is potentially good enough then should he not just take a look at him in training by calling him into squad and keeping him around for training? 

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Parrott "Problem"

"And I was even more interested that he wasn't even involved in the first day of the season.

And if he is, he might cause me a problem. If not, he'll go with Stephen [Kenny] and the U21s.

"If he gets in, in the next couple of games and plays, he's going to cause me a problem and cause Stephen a problem.

"If he's playing in the first-team, then I certainly have to consider him, to have him in the final squad and then to play him."

He basically is saying if he even plays then he will have to strongly consider him to play. Why does he have to wait for Poch? If he thinks the lad is potentially good enough then should he not just take a look at him in training by calling him into squad and keeping him around for training? 

You should be annoyed. Those are the comments of an absolute spoofer. No doubt about it.

Parrott plays 2 mins in any of the last couple of PL games and he's suddenly a far better player than if he hadn't done. That's our Micks logic. 

The next 6 months is a time killing exercise until McCarthy is gone. Then we can actually go and try put a football team together.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 10:58pm
I'd stick with Duffy and Keogh as a partnership for the Swiss game. Don't think it's the game to be trying what would basically be a new CB pairing. Also, Egan has minimal experience at international level.

Egan should get a chance in the friendly.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 11:38pm
It's a bit of a dilemma for the irish team at the moment 

On one hand we have very experienced internationals that have their best years behind them but we can't afford to move on from them.

And on the other we have a very promising bunch of young lads with very little experience but are highly rated by their clubs

There seems to be this 10 year period where the strength in depth for ireland just wasn't there and very few youngsters took the step up.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Parrott "Problem"

It's a slightly less blunt version of what O'Neill and Trap used to say before him. They're all risk averse managers, they don't like taking too many chances, especially on younger players.
We're decent enough..
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 12:38am
The idea that international football is peak football is what gets me.

It's not the step up it used to be. For most players it's a step down. In Troy Parrott's case if you're finding yourself in the Tottenham first team squad, working day in and day out with elite footballers, not to mention taking shooting practice with one of the best goalscorers in world football, then we really should be just sticking him front against Bulgaria and saying: off you go, Troy. Give it a lash. 

constantly looking for some else's approval is such post colonial, inferiority complex w@nk. Fook everyone else, do WE think Troy or anyone else is ready??

Stephen Kenny's arrival cannot come quick enough. Put an end to the perpetuating low self esteem that's dogged the senior team for years now. 

johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 12:43am
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

This is the kind of nonsense on here that drives me mad. This, and the 'Eamonn Dunphy said it so it can't be true' line. Painful stuff.

It's the kind of thing that is used on here as an argument against having by far our most in form club player Doherty in our starting 11 at all. Imagine that, he's just binned because we are so stale, so conservative, and so incompetent in coming up with solutions tactically to field our most in form player. 

On Egan, it's just a case of tried and trusted. McCarthy wouldn't move from his previous selections even if we qualified for the Euros and Egan was in the PL team of the season. We've been here before with conservative managers and by God are we here again.

Btw, I don't for one second believe that the higher up the league ladder the Irish player he is, the more entitled they are to a starting place in the Irish side. I actually really like Keogh as a defender (I'd pick him before Duffy in the Irish side), but on here it seems to be the exact opposite where wondering whether the likes of PL players like Egan or Doherty should start is just totally dismissed. Worse still, dismissed on the basis of basically nothing but a ludicrous mindset.

Nobody has dismissed Egan or Doherty though, in fact I'd say most posters here would find room for Doherty somewhere in the team, even on the right wing. Of course fans discussing teams and selections is part of being a fan, as are theories as to who should play instead of who, but with this manager, they are mainly pointless exercises and belong in the realms of fantasy. 

Pointing out that Egan or Doherty or Parrott are unlikely to play V Switzeralnd isn't being dismissive of them as players, nor is it being dismissive of posters who have those opinions, it is merely pointing out that none of it will happen. Surely reality has to count for something ? 

I've pointed this out plenty times on other threads, and was told in one of them that this reality was irrelevant. Aye, of course its irrelevant to that poster's opinion, but its very relevant to what happens on Sept 5th when 11 lads that the manager picks go to play Switzerland. 

The part that doesn't add up for me is that in this poll here, https://forum.ybig.ie/next-ireland-manager_topic55883_page49.html, one Mick McCarthy topped the ybig choice of next manager, while another conservative manager, Chris Hughton, was 2nd. They took 50% of the vote between them. We all knew exactly what we were getting, seemingly most posters wanted him (or another conservative manager if not Mick) but in these match/squad threads, most are complaining that the conservative, risk averse manager is doing conservative, risk averse things. 

That ship kind of sailed a while back lads. There are still valid arguments to be had over team selection, but they aren't exactly exciting, will McCarthy replace Whelan if he plays & gets fit, will Robinson come in for Brady if Brady stays injured/on bench, but we all know not one of them will make a significant difference to the way we play. I'm not quite sure is it that all the lads who voted for Mick/Chris don't appear on these threads, or is it that they have only realised now what type of manager we have. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 3:13am
Oh don't worry, you can be sure I knew what we were getting with McCarthy. His tenure will run as a perfect bookend to MONs awful last year or so and the FAIs troubles. A washed up manager for a time when we as a football country are completely washed up.

Most of the people who are dismissing talk of Egan Doherty or anyone else coming into the side aren't doing so on behalf of a Mick McCarthy mindset. They are clearly just dismissing the merits of certain players. 

As it is I will happily complain about selections over the next few months until we finally see the end of this dinosaur. Only for those God forsaken play offs, we'd only have 3 more months of his nonsense. Maybe in the likely event of us making those March playoffs, and having a pretty poor run in the rest of the group games, we might have a new face at the helm by then. One can hope I suppose.

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 7:36am
It’s better off Kenny takes over after Euro 2020 qualifiers/final tournament. He would have been thrown right into the deep end with the task of qualifying for Euro 2020 with no friendlies at all to get to know the squad. Since we are a host Nation you can nearly be certain that there would some cohorts of the fanbase and Irish media questioning his suitability for the job if we failed to qualify. At least with the current situation he gets 2 years working with the U21s and acquainting himself with the players that will hopefully be making the step up to the senior level in the not to distant future. He will also have 6 Nations League C games to start his reign which offers him the perfect opportunity to settle into the job. They are competitive games but not as important as actual qualifiers. Finally I don’t think there will be the same pressure to qualify for the 2022 World Cup. As long as he improves the style of play and gives younger players their chances, he should be given time. The FAI should be looking at Kenny’s appointment as a long term appointment where we should be reaping the benefits by Euro 2024.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:12am
Looking forward to people's heads falling off on here when Kenny also doesn't make silly decisions when manager. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Looking forward to people's heads falling off on here when Kenny also doesn't make silly decisions when manager. 
LOL
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:45am

If including 1 young striker in a squad of 23 is "silly"; then we don't really have much chance, do we?
We're decent enough..
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 9:10am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

If including 1 young striker in a squad of 23 is "silly"; then we don't really have much chance, do we?

That's not silly. Including a player who has not played one minute of senior football is though with Parrott's talent you might make an exception. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 9:27am

That's not silly. Including a player who has not played one minute of senior football is though with Parrott's talent you might make an exception. 

I think the whole Parrott arguement should boil down to Mick's opinion of Parrott and not Poch. 

Call him in, have a look. If through injuries Troy gets a break in Spurs team and does well, he would be getting a call up for October/November intern ational matches with prior (if limited) experience in the Irish set up. Also Mick can make a more informed decision on Troy if he does get game time at Spurs having already seen him in the flesh in next set up.

It's hard to see how the cons of calling him up even remotely outweigh the pros. 

As is a well worn debate, what exactly have the current forward line in the squad done to make them undroppable? 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I think the whole Parrott arguement should boil down to Mick's opinion of Parrott and not Poch. 

Call him in, have a look. If through injuries Troy gets a break in Spurs team and does well, he would be getting a call up for October/November intern ational matches with prior (if limited) experience in the Irish set up. Also Mick can make a more informed decision on Troy if he does get game time at Spurs having already seen him in the flesh in next set up.

It's hard to see how the cons of calling him up even remotely outweigh the pros. 

As is a well worn debate, what exactly have the current forward line in the squad done to make them undroppable? 

I'd say compared to Parrott, they've played first team football.
I'd wouldn't be playing him against Switzerland. However, I would be keen to have him around the squad and if impresses then I'd give him some game time in the friendly.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 9:41am

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I'd say compared to Parrott, they've played first team football.
I'd wouldn't be playing him against Switzerland. However, I would be keen to have him around the squad and if impresses then I'd give him some game time in the friendly.

Unless he's knocking in goals for Spurs, either would I. But substantial game time in Bulgaria friendly would give Mick greater clarity and confidence to put him into a future competitive game should things take off at spurs. 

Really, Josh Cullen, Nathan Collins, jack Byrne and Troy Parrott should be getting decent game time against Bulgaria. Otherwise, just scrap friendlies. Will be a total waste of blooding opportunity if only to give Shane Long  (and similar fringe players) another cap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 56>
  Share Topic