FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Éire v Switzerland 05.09.19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 56>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
williemc83 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williemc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 6:46pm
We're limited but we've clearly improved. Under O'Neill you wouldn't have seen the first half break made by McGoldrick and the cross into Robinson. The possession stats would have been far less than 43% and we wouldn't have had 3 shots on target. 

We're no world beaters and we're fortunate to be in the position we are in. McCarthy has us doing as well as we possibly can. The nonsense of Christie playing midfield is gone. The team is well organised and doing it's job. The chaos off the pitch isn't effecting the team and the manager and players deserve credit for that. 
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

The game reminded me of Austria at home under the last nutjobs. Talk the talk before the match, then lay down, go behind, and be completely outplayed for 75-80 minutes after ko. Kick and rush after that, nick a point, talk about a good job well done. 

Switzerland tried to beat Denmark, Denmark tried to beat us, we struggled to see off Gibraltar. Atm, we're getting by this group on luck. Nick a goal here, scrap a point there, our main goal threat is still a centre back off a set piece. As we saw in/after the last playoff, eventually luck runs out and when it does, we have to try and play some football. 

We weren't outplayed for 75-80 minutes though, were we? We gave as good as we got in the 1st half, before Switzerland got on top of us in the 2nd (which is to be completely expected considering they're the better side), and we then battled back when we went behind. It was a pretty good performance, where we mixed our usual grit and determination with some decent spells of play.

Exactly how I saw it. Decent first, half, under the cosh second but came back well. Similar to game in Denmark. 

Agree with Left foot's comment as well. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

The game reminded me of Austria at home under the last nutjobs. Talk the talk before the match, then lay down, go behind, and be completely outplayed for 75-80 minutes after ko. Kick and rush after that, nick a point, talk about a good job well done. 

Switzerland tried to beat Denmark, Denmark tried to beat us, we struggled to see off Gibraltar. Atm, we're getting by this group on luck. Nick a goal here, scrap a point there, our main goal threat is still a centre back off a set piece. As we saw in/after the last playoff, eventually luck runs out and when it does, we have to try and play some football. 

Thats some sh*te your talking there. 

For a change... 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

When Switzerland had the ball, they seemed to have acres of space and loads of time on the ball. We never looked like that. Not sure if that is players, style, tactics or all 3.

With regards to it being a wasted opportunity not having Kenny in charge now, who do people think he would have (or should have) started Thursday night,  and in place of whom?

That is the question that never gets answered. 

As always it depends on your perspective, ireland will play the usual suspects for the remaining 3 games, your whelans, mccleans, Brady if fit, hendrick etc

If we fail to qualify it would have been a complete waste of time and a missed opportunity to bleed in players like Manning, cullen, doherty, egan etc etc 

The usual suspect players are our best shot of qualifying as they have all the international experience (doensnt mean they are the best players available) 

But then when do we actually bleed new players into the team? One of the 3 friendlies we have per year? Surely we wont do it at the start of the new world cup campaign? 

Who are these other Whelans and McCleans that will be playing?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

When Switzerland had the ball, they seemed to have acres of space and loads of time on the ball. We never looked like that. Not sure if that is players, style, tactics or all 3.

With regards to it being a wasted opportunity not having Kenny in charge now, who do people think he would have (or should have) started Thursday night,  and in place of whom?

As always it depends on your perspective, ireland will play the usual suspects for the remaining 3 games, your whelans, mccleans, Brady if fit, hendrick etc

If we fail to qualify it would have been a complete waste of time and a missed opportunity to bleed in players like Manning, cullen, doherty, egan etc etc 

At what point do you stop being a development team and start playing the best available players and try your best to get a result?

The idea that the senior national team become some sort of sandbox for fans wanting to be football manager simply needs to stop.

Mick's priority is to qualify for the Euros. End of.

You play your best players, you pick the best squad.

Give or take - Mick picked the best available squad and played the best available starting 11 and did his best to get a result, and we did, although we all wanted a win, we got a draw against a much more technical side, and overall it was a good result.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 5:09pm
It was a good result, not a good performance.

Agree we were ok and even good at times in the first half but we completely lost our shape in the second half.

We rode our luck at times and were pretty lucky to get a point in the end 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 4:22pm

We weren't outplayed for 75-80 minutes though, were we? We gave as good as we got in the 1st half, before Switzerland got on top of us in the 2nd (which is to be completely expected considering they're the better side), and we then battled back when we went behind. It was a pretty good performance, where we mixed our usual grit and determination with some decent spells of play.
We're decent enough..
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 4:15pm

Thats some sh*te your talking there. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 4:05pm

VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 1:28pm

The usual suspect players are our best shot of qualifying as they have all the international experience (doensnt mean they are the best players available) 

But then when do we actually bleed new players into the team? One of the 3 friendlies we have per year? Surely we wont do it at the start of the new world cup campaign? 
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 10:58am

One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 10:32am

Edited by Lenny82 - 07 Sep 2019 at 10:32am
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 2:54am
Originally posted by greenscene greenscene wrote:

Might sound silly, but I think the result that may cost us most in this group was the 3-3 between Denmark and the Swiss. Would have really been in our interests for one side to take 6 points in the 2 meetings between them

doesn't sound silly at all. Even a 0-0 would have been fine, it's the fact that in an increasingly likely scenario of a 3 way tie on h2h, they have a 3-3 between them

before the group I'd have said we'd be lucky to score 3 goals in the 4 games against SUI and DEN but nearly achieved that already so what do I know LOL
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

My feelings on last night.

Was Robinson injured or just wrecked? Did anyone else feel Hourihane came off too early?

Robinson has a strain. Out of the squad with McGoldrick vs Bulgaria. 
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:10pm
My feelings on last night.

Hard not to feel slightly deflated after it. 

Can’t explain why but watching it unfold has made me feel that way. 

Like after 90mins - you take it of course especially when going 1 down. 

Switzerland haven’t played us in a while so just did the usual (top seed sh*t) of turn up and expect to beat us. We wouldn’t roll over for anyone. If we didn’t roll over for the world champions we won’t roll over for the Swiss. 

This is where I have main gripe with Mick. With MON before him and Trap before that. Like they were missing key players. We are at home. They haven’t played much (in this) due to NL carry on. They didn’t want to be there. 

Tear f**king in to them. Go after them. Hound them. Don’t sit back and allow them to stroke it around like some mid summer pre season sh*te. Kenny I hope, will go after teams. How many times do we come in at HT & say Jesus we aren’t bad and they’re “ insert any generic top seed here” sh*te. 45 mins is a long time in football. You don’t allow them to get away with it, have the crowd quieten and leave their manager tear them a new one in the dressing room. Which is exactly what happened. 

They came out and actually played. 45 mins too late for me but they played. Dominated us and generally looked a level or 2 above us. 

Look I’ll put it this way. If you score that goal playing junior football from centre back lads would want to be asking questions. Never mind at this level for f**ks sake. Lovely move, finish etc but how did it happen? 

Only positive for me is that under Mick we actually play slightly better ball. We still have the same mentality (should be a given when you play for Ireland) that we have that never say die attitude. How many late goals have we got over the years? 

We shouldn’t have to concede to play. That’s what angers me. It’s the same every time. Bollocks and a cop out. Oh 1-1 is great. It could have been so much better. But as usual with Ireland we live to fight another day.

For me I thought Duffy was superb, Hourihane was decent and Whelan had a good 2nd half.
Was Robinson injured or just wrecked? Did anyone else feel Hourihane came off too early?
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Trap - dinosaur.
O'Neill - dinosaur
McCarthy - dinosaur
Kenny - no dinosaur -

Kenny who is going to turn a bunch of potential youngsters (who mostly have never played a senior game of football in their lives (plying their trade for teams outside top divisions)) into this tiki taka, creative and dynamic team who will out play players who have been performing at the top levels of football for years.

LOL LOL LOL

This level of nonsense is a sight to behold
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Some people are going to be very disappointed ifStephennKenny doesn’t have us playing like Brazil and qualifying for finals.
Do you mean all the experts on here gufct ? LOL

I have not once heard anyone on here say they expect Ireland under Kenny to play like Brazil and qualify regularly for finals. It is an embarrassing comment that you and a couple of others keep parroting on here. It's childish beyond belief.

We are in an absolutely grim place football wise. McCarthy is a dinosaur. Unless we get an incredibly kind playoff draw we won't make Euro 2020. As Green Devil was saying the shortsightedness of the FAI and fans on this is scary. We lost 12 months under MON where we could have started to transition the squad, we are losing another 12-18 months under McCarthy.

That time lost will kill us in future. We are now years off putting together a squad capable of qualifying for a major tournament and actually competing competently there.

Btw, this whole free hit thing that keeps getting mentioned is nonsense. Why is it considered a free hit when you have more younger players in a squad? Maybe we'd actually be a better football team without some of the more established players? 

Just keep repeating the same verbal diarrhea about lots of people being disappointed when Kenny doesn't turn Ireland into Brazil though. Utter f*cking nonsense.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 06 Sep 2019 at 7:58pm
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Crosby87 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crosby87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 7:46pm
Looked like 44,093 to me. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 56>
  Share Topic