FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Éire v Switzerland 05.09.19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 56>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Éire v Switzerland 05.09.19
    Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 9:13pm
With us a left-back down for these two games the only solution I can see is putting McClean there. Hourihane isn’t a left back, Cunningham isn’t good enough and Brady won’t be fit enough. 

Would be absolutely no harm drafting Connolly in for these games.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Sponsored Links

cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 5:31am
Hope Duffey's yellow doesn’t come back to bite us.  
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 3:50pm
I don’t think he got enough of the ball to make an impression unfortunately. I think you put him in a couple of the positions that McClean had in the game and he would have done more. I like his speed of thought.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 3:45pm
He wasn't great, but did well in previous games, I'd stick with him, shame he's injured for the Bulgaria game.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I wonder where Robinson is in Mick's thought following Swiss game? Was a bit of a disappointment. I'd say that's one slot still up for grabs. 

He was carrying a knock in to the game, he actually sat out training the day before. I actually didn't think he was that bad to be honest.

You're right though, it would be up for grabs but there isn't exactly a queue behind him knocking the door down, we are short of right sided attackers.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 3:01pm
 I wonder where Robinson is in Mick's thought following Swiss game? Was a bit of a disappointment. I'd say that's one slot still up for grabs. 
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Originally posted by BippityBoop BippityBoop wrote:

Didnt know where else to post this, but Granit Xhaka has confirmed that he will missing the Ireland game in October due to his wife due to give birth that week. 

well he's not having the baby is he ? 

LOL

LOL

Their Albanians are jumping ship at any opportunity. You'd wonder why they didn't choose to play with Kosovo when they had the chance
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Didnt know where else to post this, but Granit Xhaka has confirmed that he will missing the Ireland game in October due to his wife due to give birth that week. 

LOL

LOL
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:57pm

LOL

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
BippityBoop View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BippityBoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:54pm

Edited by BippityBoop - 09 Sep 2019 at 12:54pm
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

The game reminded me of Austria at home under the last nutjobs. Talk the talk before the match, then lay down, go behind, and be completely outplayed for 75-80 minutes after ko. Kick and rush after that, nick a point, talk about a good job well done. 

Switzerland tried to beat Denmark, Denmark tried to beat us, we struggled to see off Gibraltar. Atm, we're getting by this group on luck. Nick a goal here, scrap a point there, our main goal threat is still a centre back off a set piece. As we saw in/after the last playoff, eventually luck runs out and when it does, we have to try and play some football. 

Thats some sh*te your talking there. 
Have you not come across his other posts on here LOL as for Christy fckin Brown sweet holy baby Jesus what an insufferable fckin moron LOL
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

One big change from the Trap and O'Neill eras is we didn't play the ball long at all. Randolph rolled the ball out to the full back every time. That is a big improvement and explains why our possession stats are much higher under Mick.
he didn't do it every time, but I'd have said he kicked it long to the left of centre midfield far more than he rolled it out to Coleman or Stevens

Yes indeed, but it wasn't that huge aimless long ball down the middle.....it was more of a measured pass to the wingers and I definitely saw him roll the ball out to Coleman or Stevens a few times.
howieb View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by howieb howieb wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Originally posted by Paul Andrew White Paul Andrew White wrote:

We are Ireland we should demand it better. Fear no enemy. Our problem is confidence when on the ball.

It is. 

Some want each of our managers to pass the ball till the cows come home yet we can’t put five passes together most times.

That's because they're not allowed or encouraged to?

Instructions under Trap and O'Neill was to hoof the ball forward as quick as possible.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with retaining possession and playing some simple 5 and 10 yard passes.

Our kick and rush style just hands the ball back to the opposition straight away, for every Shane Long moment against Germany there are 50 needless passes given straight back to the opposition. 

It's all about finding a balance. 

Of course they are allowed and encouraged to pass the ball . When you don't have that technical player to see that pass and hold onto the ball it's very hard to retain possession when your been pressed by a team 
If you have a couple of technical players in the midfield that are comfortable on the ball and can open up space it's easier to hold onto possession and pass the ball . Unfortunately we don't have that type of player. 
It's easy to say pass the ball but when you are been closed down really quickly and don't have the ability to find a little pocket of space it's really difficult... 

It was tongue in cheek.

If you're honestly trying to tell me that Trap and O'Neill weren't guilty of forcing our players into minimal phases of play i.e. getting rid of the ball up the field as quick as possible you need to have a scan of the archives.

Its all a myth that every team presses from the front nowadays, most of the bottom 1 and 2 tier sides allow you to more or less have the ball in your own half and they put 9 men behind the ball, even 10 at times and camp inside their own half looking to counter attack.

No one is saying we should be hitting 800 passes against Denmark away, my point is retaining possession in certain areas and at times imo would definitely bring a far greater level of calm and patience to our play.

I fully understand that we're not blessed with the most technically gifted players in the world but there's no trust being put in these lads at international level (as if being allowed to play football is knocked out of them) to at least attempt to be more calculated and controlled in our play.

I agree Trap and O'Neill didn't trust our players to pass the ball .. I was talking about the team under Mick
howieb View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

He'll have to nail down a place at Millwall first, and maintain a decent level of performance. Even if he does that, I wouldn't think he will be considered for any of the next 3 games unless there's an injury crisis. He could very well make the squad alright, though on the other night, I think its only Connolly & himself you could say that about.

Very exciting prospect though, big fella, can run all day, does some amount of roaring at lads, sticks the foot in tackles, good long passer. 

We have so many promising players coming through but they have an awful lot to prove yet . They need to start playing first team football consistently to start with . The step up is huge . How many times have we seen a young player been talked up and nothing becoming of them . 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 2:18pm

The midfield trio for the 21s v Armenia all looked very promising. Molumphy stood out but I thought Coventry and Kilkenny were also technically tidy in possession and busy without it.
El Puto Amo
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 1:57pm
He'll have to nail down a place at Millwall first, and maintain a decent level of performance. Even if he does that, I wouldn't think he will be considered for any of the next 3 games unless there's an injury crisis. He could very well make the squad alright, though on the other night, I think its only Connolly & himself you could say that about.

Very exciting prospect though, big fella, can run all day, does some amount of roaring at lads, sticks the foot in tackles, good long passer. 
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Molumby could be a godsend in our midfield if he continues to excel. Exactly what we're missing both on and off the ball. Not to mention he comes across as a great leader and communicator. The "leading by example" player we need in the middle of the pitch. 

He’s very vocal on the pitch and is constantly badgering his team mates if they’re not doing enough. 

Is also a brilliant tackler. 

If he gets solid championship game time between now and Switzerland away then there has to be a decent chance of him making the squad. 

From the early signs it looks like he’s exactly what we need in midfield. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 1:24pm
Very true.
I can see him making the step up soon enough, hopefully at the expense of Arter.

He was very vocal the other night.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 56>
  Share Topic