You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gavin Kilkenny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 28>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Kilkenny is playing well in the championship but you are very much correct in the the Portugal is too early.

However, let's look at his competition in the team

Molumby - no time on the pitch, needs a new team

Hourihane - no time on the pitch, needs a new team.

Hendrick - no minutes on the pitch, needs to earn his place at club level

Brady - no club, probably injured

Browne - playing for a team at the bottom of the league, form has nosedived 

Jesus when you look at it that way, we dont have many good options!! Hadnt figured on us being so light in midfield right now....  I guess when Knight is back, he adds to this, but we defo need one of the experienced lads like Hourihane/Mccarthy/Hendrick etc to get some game time quick!

Gotta love that experience Thumbs Up

This experience that people speak of, in what way does it actually manifest when it comes to Hendrick or Hourihane, cause I'm not seeing it. 

Amazing how all that experience accumulated still has the 3 players mentioned going out of their way not to be in possession. In a supposedly possession based team. Love it.

Sponsored Links

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 5:16pm
F*ck experience at this stage, regardless of the opponent. It's not like we're calling on anybody decent for experience, its Hendrick & Hourihane!

As mentioned above, experience brings nothing to the table when you're talking about bringing in guys who doesn't add anything. I would rather see a young fella in form and playing with confidence coming in which will only benefit us for future games.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 5:20pm
Id start him, we are building for the future and no doubt he will be a big part of our future going forward.

Edited by JoxerDaly - 19 Aug 2021 at 5:20pm
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

F*ck experience at this stage, regardless of the opponent. It's not like we're calling on anybody decent for experience, its Hendrick & Hourihane!

As mentioned above, experience brings nothing to the table when you're talking about bringing in guys who doesn't add anything. I would rather see a young fella in form and playing with confidence coming in which will only benefit us for future games.

I'd understand the experience line of thinking when it comes to Coleman, McClean, Duffy as they offer genuine leadership and have stood up in a green jersey many times. Hourihane and Hendrick have not and genuinely its hard to think of anything they offer anymore, in particular Hendrick. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 10:46pm
Hourihane has 26 caps and one goal from a free kick. I know he has a fantastic left foot and contributes from set pieces but we've all watched him take set piece after set piece for ireland and the majority looked pretty ordinary. His performances have been pretty poor too.

Hendrick has 62 caps and I think his last good game was in 2016. 

If Kilkenny replaced them and played a brutal game against Portugal we're not really lowering the bar by very much. The fact that Kilkenny has played 3 odd games and is the best midfielder available to us is pretty damning.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 11:13pm
Hourihane has been such a disappointment the last 24 months. Always get the impression he plays within himself. There's talent there, but like many of our midfielders, the fear of being in possession, the fear of taking risks and the fear of doing something wrong just paralyzes them, resulting mediocre performances. 

Someone like Gavin who naturally looks to be on the ball is something we should exploit. A rare commodity in.the Irish midfield.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 11:30pm
The only problem I see is that we probably won't see much of the ball in Faro. At this stage it doesn't matter what three you play in the middle there's not a lot between any of them. Browne, Cullen, Kilkenny  probably has a good enough balance to it but it's important we don't give the ball away cheaply.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 9:38am

Hourihane has 26 caps and one goal from a free kick. I know he has a fantastic left foot and contributes from set pieces but we've all watched him take set piece after set piece for ireland and the majority looked pretty ordinary. His performances have been pretty poor too.

If Kilkenny replaced them and played a brutal game against Portugal we're not really lowering the bar by very much. The fact that Kilkenny has played 3 odd games and is the best midfielder available to us is pretty damning.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that. But in that case, for the Portugal game at least, I'd rather go for a Molumby type who has a bit of bite and will potentially try to win the ball and take the game to the Portuguese. Obviously the issue there is that he's not playing for his club, but presumably he has had a full pre season and will probably not be at Brighton by the time the window closes. Given that we're very short on decent options here, he should probably be in contention, along with Cullen, Browne and McCarthy if he shows up.

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Wouldn't disagree with any of that. But in that case, for the Portugal game at least, I'd rather go for a Molumby type who has a bit of bite and will potentially try to win the ball and take the game to the Portuguese. Obviously the issue there is that he's not playing for his club, but presumably he has had a full pre season and will probably not be at Brighton by the time the window closes. Given that we're very short on decent options here, he should probably be in contention, along with Cullen, Browne and McCarthy if he shows up.

Yeah Molumbys fitness wont be a big issue, hes had a full preseason and is playing away with the u23s in PL2 at the moment and could very well have a new club in next 10 days.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 2:20pm

But theres a strong chance you'll set the kid back and knock his confidence.

4 apps for Bournemouth and no senior mens international football. I cannot believe we are even considering the thought of him starting vs Portugal. A really really long shot. 

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

But theres a strong chance you'll set the kid back and knock his confidence.

4 apps for Bournemouth and no senior mens international football. I cannot believe we are even considering the thought of him starting vs Portugal. A really really long shot. 

It will be great if Kilkenny develops into this deep lying central midfielder that Scott Parker is trying to mould him into. He’s learning from someone who had all the qualities needed in a good all round midfielder and it’s great he sees the potential in Gavin. While he is a lovely ball player with lovely close control and has a great passing range I think he still has to prove the defensive side of his game over a longer stretch of games . For the Portugal game especially I think putting someone like a more physical naturally defensive minded player like Dara o Shea in beside Josh Cullen to try to try shore up an area where we are gonna be under huge pressure. Can’t see McCarthy making himself available for these games and won’t be surprised if he retires. Hourihane is so weak defensively too 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 3:03pm
I also think O’Shea has the ability to play in CM. It would be great if either he or Omobamidele can be that big physical presence in the middle. We have a lot of lads around 5 8 / 5 7
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 3:13pm
Rather than focus on what Kilkenny doesn't bring to the team, it's clear that he wants the ball (unlike most of our midfielders) His passing is better than most other midfielders available.

I agree that we're not going to see a lot of the ball vs Portugal, but when we do have it I would be more confident in Kilkenny picking a 30 yard pass than hourihane or hendrick would.

If we play Robinson, idah or Connolly. They've got a bit of pace about them to cause problems.

It might be all we've got in an attacking sense.

Edited by Left foot - 20 Aug 2021 at 3:13pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 3:35pm
He eats sh*t like Cristiano Ronaldo for breakfast.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

I also think O’Shea has the ability to play in CM. It would be great if either he or Omobamidele can be that big physical presence in the middle. We have a lot of lads around 5 8 / 5 7

Fully agree.

O'Shea is great on the ball and is well able to go past players from deep inside his own half. 

He'd do well alongside two technically gifted midfielders in a three. Now we just need to find two of those players LOL

O'Shea in front of the back four in a 4-3-3 would also allow us to shift to a back five if ever needed during a game.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 4:23pm
I think that gets thrown around a lot in relation to CB's who are good passers of the ball making good DM's but I don't agree. They'd have to receive the ball in tighter spaces and different body positions which don't always come natural to all footballers, and would have far less time on the ball than they normally would as a CB.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 4:41pm
The idea of playing O'Shea out of position ahead of Kilkenny makes no sense to me.

And look, Kilkenny should be nowhere near the conversation for this upcoming squad but we are where we are as regards the existing midfielders, so why the hell not.
Lash the lad in.

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I think that gets thrown around a lot in relation to CB's who are good passers of the ball making good DM's but I don't agree. They'd have to receive the ball in tighter spaces and different body positions which don't always come natural to all footballers, and would have far less time on the ball than they normally would as a CB.

Agree with that. Huge reliance on being able to receive the ball on the half turn, get turned and be positive in moving ball up the pitch. 

Our issue at the moment is that too many of our midfielders take the easy option, receive the ball and send it back from where they received it. This is ok once in a while when it's genuinely the only option, but this constant recycling of the ball in your own half is possession with no purpose.

Bravery is the key here. And a midfielder who will receive the ball, turn and make that risky pass.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 28>
  Share Topic