Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gavin Kilkenny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 28>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 12:00am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

There's also
Adam O'Reilly(20) Preston North End
Daniel Grant(20) Huddersfield
Eiran Cashin(19) Derby County
Ben Greenwood(18) Bournemouth

Think Adams development has not what he would have expected, personally I'd like him to leave PNE and even sign for a top LOI side for a couple of seasons and try and get back over again in two years time. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 1:50am
I think O'Reilly showed enough at Waterford to suggest he should continue in England for now. However, if he doesn't get a chance at Preston in the next few months, he should head for League 1 or League 2 because I think he'd do very well at those levels and work his way back up to the Championship in time.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 9:46am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

There's also
Adam O'Reilly(20) Preston North End
Daniel Grant(20) Huddersfield
Eiran Cashin(19) Derby County
Ben Greenwood(18) Bournemouth

There’s no doubt plenty others flying under the radar that I’m not even aware of. O’Reilly is one id forgotten about. 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 7:01pm
Positive impression of him yesterday. I hope he makes this defensive CM berth his own. I worry about having a smaller player in that role as he’s likely to be targeted physically. Players like Eunan O’Kane and Liam Kelly have looked good in deep midfield roles in the championship but quickly lost the confidence of their manager when shown up for pace and power by stronger teams.

Kilkennys advantage is that he has a good rate of acceleration which can get him out of trouble. Also at 5 ft 8 he’s not that short, although a couple of extra inches wouldn’t go amiss (as the actress said to the Bishop).

Three MOTM performances on the trot is pretty remarkable
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 3:50pm
Watching the match here...Kilkenny gets a lot of the ball and looks very assured in keeping it moving.

Was robbed of possession late on on the halfway line leading to Forest hitting the post, but apart from that he has looked solid.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 5:02pm
Another 90 minutes for Gav. Good test of character for him as Bournemouth survived an onslaught from Forest for the last 30 minutes after having Brooks sent off.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 11:41am
Interesting breakdown this. Look at his passing here in the first part. So effortless the quality of it. We don’t have ball playing midfielders with that quality on the ball to put it mildly.  

Interesting breakdown of what he can work on too not being the biggest getting shoved off the ball once or twice. He’s in no better League to toughen up from that aspect then the Championship tbf.      https://twitter.com/rastafarimoore4/status/1426852978301022211?s=21
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 3:14pm
It's a good analysis, but I'd quibble with a couple of things.

On the pro side.

The first clip, he had all the time in the world to make that ball. He wouldn't normally get that time and space and standing off. Impressive ball all the same.

On the con side.

In one of the clips he critiques him on, he wins a foul and gets a free kick. You could give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

In another, he rushes in (think Molumby/Arter-esque) and allows the player to get the wrong side of him. It's not in a particularly dangerous area, though, and he crucially has support to mitigate any threat. In the end, the flag is raised and no chance is created by the opposition team.

It's all very promising, though. He has shades of Hoolahan about him.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 7:14pm
Kilkenny starts again today and seems to have worked his way into a good Bournemouth team. 

Reports on his performances have been glowing too.

If he puts in another shift today, if makes it very difficult to pick Molumby or Brady ahead of him. 

I know he hasn't got experience in the senior team yet but he is making a strong claim for a place in the squad surely

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Kilkenny starts again today and seems to have worked his way into a good Bournemouth team. 

Reports on his performances have been glowing too.

If he puts in another shift today, if makes it very difficult to pick Molumby or Brady ahead of him. 

I know he hasn't got experience in the senior team yet but he is making a strong claim for a place in the squad surely

Has to be in the 23 man squad anyways for sure he’s earned it. Has a lovely passing range and will suit the way Kenny wants to play. 

Won’t be thrown in from the start against Portugal but will likely come off the bench and might start one of the other two games. Cullen aside midfield slots have been blown wide open. Pity Jack Taylor at Peterborough has been injured see could he play his way into contention and Jake Doyle Hayes is a wild shout too for a cap in the next 12 months certainly looks a prospect. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 10:07pm
For all we are short in midfield I'm not sure I would be rushing Kilkenny in there just yet. Maybe a squad callup and a cap in one of the later games at most, but it would seem almost unfair to send him in for his debut against Portugal. 

I wouldn't be overly surprised if he was left with the under 21s for another while either, first we need to see if he can keep his place at Bournemouth once their missing players return and take it from there. Still 21 so plenty of time for him anyway.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 10:22pm
Yeah Id hold off for October camp / double header vs Azerbaijan and Qatar.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 10:30pm
Kilkenny will definitely get called up. He'll get called up for the same reason that Jack Byrne has been getting called up to squads. We literally have nobody to play the role that he can play. In Jack Byrne's case it's the traditional number 10. For Kilkenny it's the deep lying playmaker. 

Hourihane has been tasked with this job and has been an absolute disaster. A deep lying playmaker that doesn't really want to be on the ball and when he is on the ball seems to be more interested in passing it sideways and backwards.

I do agree I don't think he'll be thrown in against Portugal, but we badly need to start blooding a midfielder who's going to link to defence with the attack. It's starting to be a major weakness in kenny's style of play. And he knows it. 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 6:59am
With regards to deep lying play making ability, have a look at this pass from Kilkenny. I'm not sure how this didn't go viral. It is incredible.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 7:42am
No question he has the potential to play that deep lying ball playing midfielder role for us in time as he develops, although for that to work you really need a big midfield enforcer back there alongside him to support him and to do the leg work that gives him the space to do his thing. 

I don't know that there are any obvious candidates for that job at the moment, McCarthy as a stopgap maybe but he's not really the answer. Molumby could potentially do it in time but he needs to find a Championship club and nail down a spot there first.

Molumby and Kilkenny, with Knight as a box to box midfielder in a 3-5-2 could be a decent combination for us at some stage, but given Knight's injury and Molumby's club issues probably none of the three will start against Portugal.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 7:48am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

No question he has the potential to play that deep lying ball playing midfielder role for us in time as he develops, although for that to work you really need a big midfield enforcer back there alongside him to support him and to do the leg work that gives him the space to do his thing. 

I don't know that there are any obvious candidates for that job at the moment, McCarthy as a stopgap maybe but he's not really the answer. Molumby could potentially do it in time but he needs to find a Championship club and nail down a spot there first.

Molumby and Kilkenny, with Knight as a box to box midfielder in a 3-5-2 could be a decent combination for us at some stage, but given Knight's injury and Molumby's club issues probably none of the three will start against Portugal.

Cullen does a lot of dirty work, always wants the ball, think they could form a great partnership. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

With regards to deep lying play making ability, have a look at this pass from Kilkenny. I'm not sure how this didn't go viral. It is incredible.

I think we need to calm down. 

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 9:02am
He will be Paul McGrath, Roy Keane, Liam Brady and Andy Townsend all rolled in to one.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 28>
  Share Topic