You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gavin Kilkenny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 28>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 5:40pm
Starting against Yeovil. Travers rested and on the bench.
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 12:20pm
Bournemouth bidding for Joe Rothwell, which could send Gav further down the pecking order.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 12:26pm
Has only featured once in Bournemouths last seven games which happens to be their worst run of form this season with four losses and two wins.

Not surprised Bournemouth are linked with a few signings at the moment, and Rothwell is out of contract in the summer too so chances are he'll sign then if they can't get him now.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 10:34pm
Should Kilkenny look at getting a loan?
Only featured in half their league games this season, and as pointed out above, Bournemouth are in the market for another midfielder (not just Rothwell, but others too like Lawrence from Derby).

He turns 22 in a couple of weeks and this is his first season of senior football. He's well behind where he could/should be in terms of senior appearances.

Edited by Greenie50 - 25 Jan 2022 at 10:35pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 10:51pm
It would need to be to the right club if he's dropping down a division. He suits the way Bournemouth play but could struggle in the lower leagues.

16 appearances by January is well ahead of where he'd have been expected to be last July. He should probably stay where he is, Bournemouth haven't been great since he dropped out so it's possible that he might get back in.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 11:04pm
If he wants to push for a senior call up this year a loan would be his best bet. Parker has only used him once in the last two months in the league. Though he's still making the match day squads so things could be worse for him and Cook missed the Hull with injury.

Connor Ronan played deeper for St Mirren this evening and has played as the 6 when with Grasshopper. Being name checked by Kenny I feel he'll be the new face we'll see for the midfield spots in March.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

It would need to be to the right club if he's dropping down a division. He suits the way Bournemouth play but could struggle in the lower leagues.

16 appearances by January is well ahead of where he'd have been expected to be last July. He should probably stay where he is, Bournemouth haven't been great since he dropped out so it's possible that he might get back in.

In any normal season that's OK, but it's the fact he's 22 now & it's his first season in senior football & he's only played 22 senior games total.

If he got another 15 or so games between now & the end of the season that would be fine, 30-odd games total.

But it could easily go the other way. He's only played 1 game since November & Bournemouth are looking for another midfielder... Could end up without much gametime for the rest of the season.

Swansea are looking for a midfielder...
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 11:54pm
Kilkenny has had a big year in that he's proven he's more then able for Championship level in the right team at his young age. 

I do think he's a lad that would really benefit going to a continental League with his technical ability and stature even more so then a Josh Cullen he's a lot like Elbouzedi in this case to my eyes. Championship is a very pyshical League.

Edited by kevin100 - 25 Jan 2022 at 11:55pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 1:29am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Kilkenny has had a big year in that he's proven he's more then able for Championship level in the right team at his young age. 

I do think he's a lad that would really benefit going to a continental League with his technical ability and stature even more so then a Josh Cullen he's a lot like Elbouzedi in this case to my eyes. Championship is a very pyshical League.
Kevin, you're a prolific mover and shifter. Is there anyone you don't want out foreign? 
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 9:52am
I don't believe going abroad helps Kilkenny. Did it get Elbouzedi a place in the Irish squad? Yes it has benefitted Josh Cullen but he's the exception.
There was a lot of hype around Kilkenny earlier in the season but he's struggling for game time now. Perhaps top level Championship team is a step too high at the moment. Maybe regular game time at League 1 would be more beneficial

Edited by greenshoots - 26 Jan 2022 at 9:52am
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

I don't believe going abroad helps Kilkenny. Did it get Elbouzedi a place in the Irish squad? Yes it has benefitted Josh Cullen but he's the exception.
There was a lot of hype around Kilkenny earlier in the season but he's struggling for game time now. Perhaps top level Championship team is a step too high at the moment. Maybe regular game time at League 1 would be more beneficial

Its his first senior season, he was getting MOTM in some games too, they haven't faired much better with him out of the team, he was dropped from the squad completely and worked his way back in, he can do that again.

Their midfield I actually really strong, there are some very experienced players in that team.

Kilkenny can fight for his place, he's already exceeded expectations  this season.

Yes also going by Bournemouth fans forums and twitter opinion plenty fans are under the view they are a superior team with him in the side for his ball playing ability. They have a lot of players that prefer to play in the 6 position as it is don't mind having to my eyes the strongest batch of CMs in the Championship. He's had a great season and if nothing else has established himself as a player with more then enough ability to play at Championship level. 

You may actually see him start vs Barnsley Bournemouth should own the ball in that game Parker might see it as an ideal game to have him dip back in. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 10:58am

Entitled to your opinion but this is bonkers reasoning. This is Elbouzedi who couldn't start consistently in League 1 and League 2 for Bolton and Lincoln prior to his move to Sweden. He's a lot closer to a potential squad place then he was this time last year to put it mildly.

Josh Cullen in the recent years along with Elbouzedi is the exception full stop. Prior to that we had Byrne Crowley and Kelly. It didn't work for Kelly almost certainly but Byrne and Crowley had successful spells in Holland prior to moving back to England where they went backwards.

Edited by kevin100 - 26 Jan 2022 at 11:01am
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 11:14am

Going abroad would help Killkeny alot. Ideally a less physical more technical league where he would be able to showcase his skill even more than he has been doing.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 11:15am
I've asked this before but will ask again - Where do people get the idea that there is interest from the continent in our players?
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 11:22am
Maybe I'm wrong guys but I dont see Elbouzedi getting a spot in an Irish squad anytime soon.

I'm a fan of Kilkenny, I too think he's had a good season. I was just pointing out that with some much competition for places in a Bournemouth squad that are top contenders in the league, he's gonna struggle for game time. The more experienced players will get in ahead of him. So dropping a division and playing very single week would be good for his development.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Kevin, you're a prolific mover and shifter. Is there anyone you don't want out foreign? 

Ebosele I'd rather stay in England then move to Italy for example as was reported last week German clubs and Italian club. 

It's very simple we have plenty players Kilkenny Brady Devoy Elbouzedi was an obvious one to my eyes shape or shaped like players who would be suited by moving to continental Leagues as opposed to English ones especially lower level English Leagues. 

Another example is Gilmour the Scottish kid think he's a top class prospect but I'd worry about him fulfilling his potential in England don't think he's suited to Norwich or god forbid for him the lower level English Leagues.

It's 2022 not 1992 I don't get this how this is some wierd notion. Look at any other country in Europe their national squad is full of players littered with players scattered across different Leagues in different countries. Even Austria who would possibly be the closest thing to the British Isles in terms of pool of players largely centred in one country/area would have a good 20% of their national squad outside Germany/Austria.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 11:29am
[QUOTE=Borussia]I've asked this before but will ask again - Where do people get the idea that there is interest from the continent in our players?[/QUOTE
]
Zach Elbouzedi, Zefi, Cullen and quite a few of our other players have made moves to the continent in the last 2 years. Italy, France, Belgium etc is the continent still righr? Is it something diff after BREXIT?
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I've asked this before but will ask again - Where do people get the idea that there is interest from the continent in our players?

Roy Keane inexplicably turned down big foreign moves towards the end of his career, didn't he? Robbie Keane turned down a Besiktas team that regularly qualified for the CL to go to America. Gary Breen was scouted by the likes of Barca and Inter. Hendrick, Long, Christie, Doyle and A. Connolly, off the top of my head, have been linked with continental sides, though I don't know how serious the interest was. There could be more links that don't go reported in the domestic press.

I think there's an attitude among Irish players that playing in the UK is the be all and end all, generally speaking. Footballers also tend to marry and have families quite young and the Irish ones have a reluctance to relocate, whereas this is generally not an issue for lads from other countries.

Not to generalise but young people in other European countries, when not growing up in hardship, learn four or five languages from a young age, so there's probably more enlightenment in terms of where you go to make your living from football.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 28>
  Share Topic