You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gavin Kilkenny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 28>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsYourUncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

If he makes it, Kilkenny will join a select group of Irish internationals ( e.g. Miller, various Murphys ) whose name is also that of a beer.
Would he be the first to share a name with a county?
Sponsored Links

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by RobsYourUncle RobsYourUncle wrote:

Would he be the first to share a name with a county?

No theres been a Monaghan.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 7:46pm
And Charlton midfielder Sean Clare is unaccountably English.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

And Charlton midfielder Sean Clare is unaccountably English.

Daryl Clare. Irish B international only. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 7:57pm
The footballer with the most Irish sounding name ever wasn't even Irish. Kerry Mayo.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 8:14pm
Likewise Kerry Dixon and Jack Cork. Tyrone Duffus, Courtney's brother, did play for us at underage level.

Edited by Green Cockade - 25 Oct 2021 at 8:25pm
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 8:23pm
I think over the next 6 month to 12 months we'll have a much improved selection of midfielders to choose from.

This campaign just about came too soon for the likes of Cullen, Knight, Molumby, Taylor and Kilkenny. By the time the NL starts we'll be in a good place at keeper, defense and midfield. We just need one of our strikers to really break through now.

Edited by Maccatacca - 25 Oct 2021 at 8:24pm
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

I think over the next 6 month to 12 months we'll have a much improved selection of midfielders to choose from.

This campaign just about came too soon for the likes of Cullen, Knight, Molumby, Taylor and Kilkenny. By the time the NL starts we'll be in a good place at keeper, defense and midfield. We just need one of our strikers to really break through now.

That's probably news to him
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 9:01pm

Certainly not too soon for Cullen. He's been arguably our best player over the entire campaign 
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 9:14pm

C'mon
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

C'mon

Not meant as a slight on Josh.

Cullen has been good throughout this campaign. 

When I say it's been a campaign too soon for him I mean that in a few months time we may look back at this period as a time when himself and a few other players really nailed down their place in team and we will benefit from this greatly in the upcoming Nations League campaign.

This campaign has been all about player development and about developing a style of play so has in a way come too soon for some players who I think will be significantly involved in securing good results for us in the months to come.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 10:18am
Cullen seems to have landed the role as the deep lying midfielder for Ireland. Can we realistically play Cullen and Kilkenny in the same team? Surely they will be competing for the role rather than playing alongside each other....
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 11:11am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Cullen seems to have landed the role as the deep lying midfielder for Ireland. Can we realistically play Cullen and Kilkenny in the same team? Surely they will be competing for the role rather than playing alongside each other....

Feels to me like they'll be competing. And that the other player in there would be Hendrick or Molumby if he can kick on. 

There's real balancing act though which depends a lot on the two behind the striker. If you're playing more attacking players in there then you might like two lads sitting. However, I think Jamie McGrath played that role exactly how Kenny would need it and covered a lot of ground further back than one of the more attacking players that can play there would. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 11:14am

Wouldn't think it's an issue. While both players have no problem sticking the boot in, Cullen is more defensively minded and Kilkenny would have the traits of deep lying playmaker. 

Kilkenny strikes me as the player that Kenny wanted Hourihane to be when he played in that role. Only Kilkenny is a lot more mobile. 

I could see the two of them working very well together in theory.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Wouldn't think it's an issue. While both players have no problem sticking the boot in, Cullen is more defensively minded and Kilkenny would have the traits of deep lying playmaker. 

Kilkenny strikes me as the player that Kenny wanted Hourihane to be when he played in that role. Only Kilkenny is a lot more mobile. 

I could see the two of them working very well together in theory.

I see it the same as banjaxed. Cullen and kilkenny like to close down players quickly and offer for the ball. Kilkenny is more the playmaker, his range of passing is really good and with Cullen next to him he can focus in that a little more. 

I think they should compliment each other very well.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 11:47am

Cullen has really landed that role because we don't have anybody else to really to do it effectively. Kilkenny in next to Cullen takes pressure off him to be the deep lying midfielder because he'll have Kilkenny there whose taking to the role like a duck to water since Parker moved him back there.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 2:10pm
But when Kilkenny plays for Bournemouth, its in the center of a 3 man midfield. He plays deep, wins the ball back, sprays it around etc... If he's doing that for Ireland, what does Cullen do? Each football team should have 1 link player like that but I dont think it needs two. It's all about balance in a team and for me its one or the other.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 3:54pm
Competition for places is important & I've recently been wondering what we'd do if Cullen is injured, because the other options for the 6 are basically:

-McCarthy (31, moved to SPFL, always injured, wouldn't be surprised if he retired from International football after this campaign officially wraps up). - 3 starts this season (72, 69, 45), currently injured.

-Arter (32, League 1, often injured, probably won't be around much longer) - 4 starts (90, 83, 80, 45), currently injured (?).

-Hourihane (31, not going well at SU, lacks mobility, doesn't show for the ball, isn't comfortable on the ball, not fond of a tackle) - only 4 starts this season (88mins vs Qatar, 90mins vs Barrow (EFLCup), 65mins vs Hull, 38mins (!!!) vs Millwall).

Kilkenny is outperforming those 3 lads by a significant margin so far this season. For the top team in the Championship he's started 9 games & only not completely the full 90 twice (72', 83'), and is usually one of the top performers in those games.

As Banjaxed said, Kilkenny is the type of 6 Kenny wants Hourihane to be (but isn't), he's like the opposite of what Hourihane actually is - very mobile, wants the ball, comfortable on the ball, not afraid to stick his leg in etc.

Whether you're playing Kilkenny with Cullen or instead of Cullen, you can do either, it depends on who else is available & who the opposition are.
Cullen won't be available for every game anyway, & I'd be a lot less worried if I saw Kilkenny filling in rather than Hourihane.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 28>
  Share Topic