You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gavin Kilkenny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 28>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 10:44am
https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/parker-has-a-big-decision-to-make.14703/

This thread is interesting. Some posters reckon he shouldn't be dropped. But plenty more say he just suits certain games in that he does a good job of keeping the ball moving and keeping the tempo up against teams that sit and let them have the ball.

Is the physicality point a concern in the long term? I always felt Jack Byrne and Daniel Crowley were going to struggle if they weren't playing with teams that play a 10 because they might not be physical enough for deeper roles. I just checked and it looks like Crowley and Byrne are 5 foot 9, with Kilkenny being 5 foot 7. 

Maybe a little time to add more strength to his frame would help. I should also keep in mind that he's spent most of his time as a more advanced midfield player so he might not be as used to the battle in the heart of midfield too. 
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 11:43am
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

The Bournemouth fans are raving about his performance yesterday, some are saying he should be starting for Ireland already and others saying he could go on to be a PL player. 

Pearson Lerma Cook Marcondres Christie Billing he's competing with a country mile the strongest batch of midfielders in the Championship and let's be honest a far stronger bunch then Ireland have available to them. 
He also suits the way Kenny wants to play especially against teams we will want to dominate against. 

He's potential and it's great he got a run out yesterday. They should go up but even if he isn't used next year by them the worst he will get is a loan again to a decent Championship team. At his age it's a decent spot to be in definitely has potential to be a PL footballer. He'd also be tailor made for continental Leagues lack of physicality would suit him. That will also come with age hopefully he's very raw in that position don't forget.
gally View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 11:46am
https://www.dorset.live/sport/football/football-news/bournemouth-player-ratings-vs-bristol-6070524

Come on, join the club, what a great write up

Edited by gally - 17 Oct 2021 at 11:47am
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/parker-has-a-big-decision-to-make.14703/

This thread is interesting. Some posters reckon he shouldn't be dropped. But plenty more say he just suits certain games in that he does a good job of keeping the ball moving and keeping the tempo up against teams that sit and let them have the ball.

Is the physicality point a concern in the long term? I always felt Jack Byrne and Daniel Crowley were going to struggle if they weren't playing with teams that play a 10 because they might not be physical enough for deeper roles. I just checked and it looks like Crowley and Byrne are 5 foot 9, with Kilkenny being 5 foot 7. 

Maybe a little time to add more strength to his frame would help. I should also keep in mind that he's spent most of his time as a more advanced midfield player so he might not be as used to the battle in the heart of midfield too. 

I'd say that Jack Byrne height is inflated. Smallest 5 foot 9er if that was the case.

Ultimately height doesn't matter if you have a strong core and good centre of gravity. I'm thinking of Billy Gilmour for Scotland. That chap who went to PSG in the summer isn't the tallest but has done alright 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 12:03pm
Does he offer more than Arter at the moment, I'd say yes.

Still a lot of stuff to work on but he's playing for probably the best team in the championship and doesn't look out of place. In fact hes getting better ever game.

Big season for the lad and he's made fantastic progress, surely we can all agree on that.
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Does he offer more than Arter at the moment, I'd say yes.

Still a lot of stuff to work on but he's playing for probably the best team in the championship and doesn't look out of place. In fact hes getting better ever game.

Big season for the lad and he's made fantastic progress, surely we can all agree on that.

Probably best he gets minutes with u21
Landsdowne90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landsdowne90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by gally gally wrote:

https://www.dorset.live/sport/football/football-news/bournemouth-player-ratings-vs-bristol-6070524

Come on, join the club, what a great write up

Fully signed up member here. Nice little review 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 7:32pm
Starts again away to Stoke. A little bit of a formational shift on the last game but the main point is that Pearson is back on the bench but Kilkenny hasn't been sacrificed for him. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 8:40pm
Hes been very good in the Bournemouth midfield again today, uses the ball very well, wins the ball a lot. Helps control the midfield.

Not suggesting he a second coming or anything but I'd have him in the ireland team ahead of hourihane, arter and molumby.  If any of knight, Cullen, hendrick or mcgrath are not in the team I'd have kilkenny.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 9:32pm
Pearson comes on for kilkenny after 82 mins to see out the game. very good game from the young lad. Pearson expected to start ahead of him but he gets the nod. 

He keeps this up playing for a very good Bournemouth side then needs to be in the seniors.
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 9:36pm

Pearson comes on for kilkenny after 82 mins to see out the game. very good game from the young lad. Pearson expected to start ahead of him but he gets the nod. 

He keeps this up playing for a very good Bournemouth side then needs to be in the seniors.
Ya He was very good . Very tidy in everything he did all game . Got booked after 2 minutes but kept his composure well after that . No real point in having Arter in the squad ahead of him now 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 9:59pm
Bournemouth have far stronger midfield options then we do the strongest in the Championship by a mile so the fact he's so prominent in their side bodes very well. 

Watched a bit of this tonight booked early against a side that were always liable to expose his weak points he did so well for 83 minutes bodes really well for him. Wondering will Molumby start tomorrow now. No harm to see some of our younger midfielders progress.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 9:28am
Like Norwich last year I struggle on what I want to happen. In one way it's amazing a team is sitting top of the EFL Championship but also you know if they get promoted they may not get as much game time, see Andrew and Adam. Then again the experience of being in the PL is amazing for any young player even if not playing but ultimately we want our lads playing.

If they go up how likely is it that Scott signs a few lads and our boys don't get game time. Sometimes they just feel they're better off with experience. Let's take Gavin v Kelleher. For me, regular game is far more beneficial for a players development than the odd game in every 10. That is why ultimately he is thriving and therefore showing his excellence for Ireland. Couple that with his confidence and we have a superb talent coming through.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 11:25am

Hes been very good in the Bournemouth midfield again today, uses the ball very well, wins the ball a lot. Helps control the midfield.

Not suggesting he a second coming or anything but I'd have him in the ireland team ahead of hourihane, arter and molumby.  If any of knight, Cullen, hendrick or mcgrath are not in the team I'd have kilkenny.

Dont see much point in calling him up for the November fixtures assuming Cullen, Hendrick, Knight, Molumby are all fit, when he can get 2 good competitive U21 games vs Italy and Sweden under his belt in the same window. If he's still featuring regularly for Bournemouth come March, then by all means let's have a look. I like him, but he's pretty small, a midfield 2 of him and Cullen wouldn't be the most robust. Time enough for the lad yet imo.
Idah Dream!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Dont see much point in calling him up for the November fixtures assuming Cullen, Hendrick, Knight, Molumby are all fit, when he can get 2 good competitive U21 games vs Italy and Sweden under his belt in the same window. If he's still featuring regularly for Bournemouth come March, then by all means let's have a look. I like him, but he's pretty small, a midfield 2 of him and Cullen wouldn't be the most robust. Time enough for the lad yet imo.

I dont think height should be a factor here, Cullen and Kilkenny are tenacious in the  tackle and close their man down very quickly. Being 5,8 instead of 6,0 is not going to be a gamechanger. Especially when you have Duffy and Egan at the back who win all aerial battles.

Honestly I think we should be giving kilkenny some time on the pitch for the seniors now. I've watched him a number of times and I would say he is an improvement on hourihane, arter, molumby and even mcgrath if I'm being honest.

We don't have an embarrassment of riches in the midfield. Hes been a good performer in probably the best midfield in the championship and all the games he's played he's been a top performer.

I appreciate he was dropped but he's also worked his way back in and kept Pearson out of the starting 11 yesterday. 

Before people start with the new midfield savior rubbish, I'm looking at this from the perspective of what we have available in the team now and where kilkenny would be an improvement. I'm not suggesting he's the new iniesta.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 12:09pm

I dont think height should be a factor here, Cullen and Kilkenny are tenacious in the  tackle and close their man down very quickly. Being 5,8 instead of 6,0 is not going to be a gamechanger. Especially when you have Duffy and Egan at the back who win all aerial battles.

Honestly I think we should be giving kilkenny some time on the pitch for the seniors now. I've watched him a number of times and I would say he is an improvement on hourihane, arter, molumby and even mcgrath if I'm being honest.

We don't have an embarrassment of riches in the midfield. Hes been a good performer in probably the best midfield in the championship and all the games he's played he's been a top performer.

I appreciate he was dropped but he's also worked his way back in and kept Pearson out of the starting 11 yesterday. 

Before people start with the new midfield savior rubbish, I'm looking at this from the perspective of what we have available in the team now and where kilkenny would be an improvement. I'm not suggesting he's the new iniesta.

No problem with him getting a chance in March, but I don't see any reason, barring injuries why we'd promote him to the senior squad prior to the final 2 competitive fixtures, especially given the competitive nature of the 2 U21 games coming up. What I would like to see is the U21s start to mirror the senior team's 3-4-2-1 set up. It's not like Crawford has proven himself to be a tactical genius and the 4-4-1-1 just isn't working for them.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 12:30pm

No problem with him getting a chance in March, but I don't see any reason, barring injuries why we'd promote him to the senior squad prior to the final 2 competitive fixtures, especially given the competitive nature of the 2 U21 games coming up. What I would like to see is the U21s start to mirror the senior team's 3-4-2-1 set up. It's not like Crawford has proven himself to be a tactical genius and the 4-4-1-1 just isn't working for them.

Seeing as McGrath, Ogbene, and Omobamidele all played a combined 10 minutes or so in the summers training camp I'd say it's better to be in training with the seniors rather than featuring in two extra games for the U21s. They're not qualifing for the Euros and Kilkenny is overage this time next year.

Get him in training with the seniors along with Jack Taylor before next Marchs friendlies I say. Doubt there'll be wholesale changes for March and we'll see some new players brought in with lads who are already playing.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Like Norwich last year I struggle on what I want to happen. In one way it's amazing a team is sitting top of the EFL Championship but also you know if they get promoted they may not get as much game time, see Andrew and Adam. Then again the experience of being in the PL is amazing for any young player even if not playing but ultimately we want our lads playing.

If they go up how likely is it that Scott signs a few lads and our boys don't get game time. Sometimes they just feel they're better off with experience. Let's take Gavin v Kelleher. For me, regular game is far more beneficial for a players development than the odd game in every 10. That is why ultimately he is thriving and therefore showing his excellence for Ireland. Couple that with his confidence and we have a superb talent coming through.

Kilkenny & Kelleher took the same path though. They both stayed at their parent clubs, waiting for their chance. Kilkenny got his chance because of injuries, but fair play to him he took it with both hands. The main difference is Kelleher being a GK won't get as many chances.

As far as getting Kilkenny into the senior squad next month, if he gets a couple more games before the squad announcement then yes bring him in.
For the September window I thought he should stay with the U21s, & wait to see if he could keep his place in the Bournemouth team.
This time around though I'd probably take him instead of Hourihane, he's doing all the things Stephen Kenny wants Hourihane to do (but Hourihane isn't up to -getting on the ball, spraying passes around, not afraid of a tackle, very mobile- Hourihane was apparently terrible last night for Sheffield United, totally anonymous, it might be a while before he gets another game).

Kilkenny is solidly outperforming Hourihane at club level so far this season.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 28>
  Share Topic