You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gavin Kilkenny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 28>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 7:51pm
He does look like a player and he is getting his chance with Scott Parker, who knows a thing or two about playing midfield. I would be optimistic about his future but he is not ready to start for Ireland yet. I think Ciaran Clark's omission was a poor call. He has played midfield before in the PL with Aston Villa and I believe would have been a better back-up holding midfield option than Harry Arter right now, as well as being a defensive option.
Sponsored Links

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

He does look like a player and he is getting his chance with Scott Parker, who knows a thing or two about playing midfield. I would be optimistic about his future but he is not ready to start for Ireland yet. I think Ciaran Clark's omission was a poor call. He has played midfield before in the PL with Aston Villa and I believe would have been a better back-up holding midfield option than Harry Arter right now, as well as being a defensive option.

Clark was fairly poor against Serbia there in March and that was when he was in decent form for Newcastle. Hasnt played much at all since. I dont think an out of form centre back playing in midfield is the answer.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

You killed Kilkenny! You bastards!

Clap
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 3:04am
I remember the last time Ireland played two defenders in centre-mid against Portugal in a qualifier.  

It was in 1995 in front of 75,000 fans in the p1ssing rain in Estadio de Luz.  

We'd deservedly beaten their "golden generation" (Figo, Rui Costa, Paulo Sousa, Fernando Couto, Vitor Baia) in Dublin, albeit with a decidedly fortuitous goal a few months earlier.  However we rocked up to Lisbon, sans Roy Keane, with Jeff Kenna and Steve Staunton playing centre-mid (when both were full-backs).

The pitch was huge and Jack's long ball tactics didn't work, as a ball from a defender wouldn't get much past the half-way, so even if you won possession, it took another long ball just to get to their box.  Portugal's passing game worked well with all the space.  We didn't get a sniff that night and when Rui Costa lobbed Alan Kelly with a sumptuous first-time effort, it was down-hill from there.  

That was the beginning of the end for Jack, and I think the biggest defeat Ireland ever suffered under Jack (at a time when defeats were rare).

Edit: I take it back: the 0-0 "defeat" to Lichtenstein was the beginning of the end, quickly followed by Harry's fish and chips challenge the day before we got beaten at home by a weak Austria team.

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 29 Aug 2021 at 3:10am
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 11:33pm
Interesting article in the 42 will Kilkenny suggesting that he has benefited from Bournemouth not getting promoted to the premier league.

I would say the Travers also benefited from this.

On the reverse I would say omobamidele and idah have lost out with Norwich getting promoted.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Interesting article in the 42 will Kilkenny suggesting that he has benefited from Bournemouth not getting promoted to the premier league.

On the reverse I would say omobamidele and idah have lost out with Norwich getting promoted.

Well for Idah, he started 1 game last year. (he was out for 3 months with injury).

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 11:16am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Well for Idah, he started 1 game last year. (he was out for 3 months with injury).

He was horse and its a shame as I think bar that injury he could have potentially kicked on and maybe would be more trusted in the epl. 

I can't see him getting much game time this season as the premier league is unforgiving. My point was that if Norwich didn't get promoted it would have maybe benefited his development.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 7:35pm
Omitted from the match day squad for the 2nd game running, disappointing!
Idah Dream!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Omitted from the match day squad for the 2nd game running, disappointing!

Yeah, mixed bag with Bournemouth in that it looks like Travers has number one shirt.

Kilkenny looked a good player in the games he's played but I fear he's not going to get a look in baring an injury crisis. Last year he didn't come off the bench but at least he was on it. 

January loan move likely on the cards.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 8:18pm
Had a quiet game Vs Hull and was subbed off, was dropped to the bench for their next game and has now been left out of the last 2 match day squads.

Bit harsh if its not injury going by his early form for them.

Shouldn't be in any rush to go out on loan though, he should get ample opportunity to break back into the side.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 8:56pm
AFAIK it's not injury related having read some comments from Parker at the wend. Not in the squad even with Lee Cook out injured does not bode well. On the plus side, Knight started tonight for Derby and Coventry for Peterborough.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 11:26pm
At least with a few games under his belt he's more likely to get a loan move if needed in January, teams will have something to go off in terms of judging whether he could add value for them.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 2:14pm
What has happened as the man that was being talked about starting against Portugal?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 2:27pm
Parker has brought the lads that were coming back from injury into the team.

Interview with Parker. Hasn't ruled out a January loan for Kilkenny.
https://www.dorset.live/sport/football/football-news/scott-parker-admits-january-loan-5926700.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by J89 - 26 Sep 2021 at 2:36pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 2:49pm
Bournemouth are top of the championship and it's looking likely they'll be in and around promotion to the premier league.

Kilkenny showed he can play in the chpionship and even won a couple of MOTM awards. However the Bournemouth squad is so strong at the moment and the young lads have been bumped.

A team lower in the championship would be a solid option for both parties 
 In January.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 2:53pm
Any chance of him starting against Portugal at home?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Parker has brought the lads that were coming back from injury into the team.

Interview with Parker. Hasn't ruled out a January loan for Kilkenny.
https://www.dorset.live/sport/football/football-news/scott-parker-admits-january-loan-5926700.amp?__twitter_impression=true

That's such a disjointed interview. Seems like Parker doesn't rate him. He might need a move in January 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Any chance of him starting against Portugal at home?

Your joke died first time round. Have some pride, man. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 28>
  Share Topic