You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gavin Kilkenny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 28>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 5:46pm
Parker seems to be a fan, reading between the lines here.

Glad he’s getting game time in midfield. He’s always seemed to be a 10 who gets shunted to the wings. A ball playing centre mid is welcome
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 5:51pm
[QUOTE=JoxerDaly]So thats MOTM in his last 2 starts now, last one being his sole start in last seasons FA Cup. Could be a breakthrough year.[/QUOTE

I watched his last game and he was a stand out player, really good to see him doing well as he's at the age where he should be on the cusp of a breakthrough.

Fingers crossed at least a few of - 

Kilkenny, johannson JP Finn, Coventry, smallbone, 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 6:05pm
I havent seen really any of him. Who would he compare to in our previous players? Kinella Holland etc??
I love beer gardens
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 7:27pm
"The Wales midfielder forced a decent save from keeper Franco Ravizzoli and then wastefully blasted an effort over the bar from Billing's cross before finding his range for the opening goal from Gavin Kilkenny's delightful pass.

Kilkenny's quality was once again to the fore as the lead was doubled within two minutes of the restart, beginning a fine team move which saw Brooks and Smith tee up Solanke."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57951131

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I havent seen really any of him. Who would he compare to in our previous players? Kinella Holland etc??

Really difficult to compare with anyone yet, last years pre season he played in some of the Bournemouth games as a number ten and I remember him getting a decent goal, following that he was playing for ireland u21s on the right hand side (when he played) which was only OK in the games I watched.

This preseason he's been played in a holding midfielder role in which he would always look to collect the ball from the defenders and work it up the field. This is the first time I've heard of him playing that role and he doing really really well.

If he starts playing for Bournemouth (he's been on the bench most of last season without coming on) I think he'll be deployed there but I can see him being utilised further up the field once he gets settled.

Hes always had really good feet and spot the pass well, his teammates gave him the nickname kenniesta or something like that.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 2:39pm
Championship season kicks off tomorrow and its a good game from an ireland perspective with West Brom vs  Bournemouth.

We've got 4 players across both teams with Robinson, oshea and Travers, Kilkenny.

Really excited to see if kilkenny starts tomorrow, he's been an ever present in the preseason games and played very well. Really think this will be his breakthrough season. 
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 3:44pm
A big season for all 4 of them. Robinson needs a good season to keep him at the top of the queue for Irish strikers. O'Shea will have tons of competition soon at CB for Ireland, so he needs to push on. Be great to see Travers get a permanent spot and obviously yes would be brilliant to see Kilkenny start. His manager Scott Parker seems to really like him and if he gets into the team and plays well, he's likely to get a move further up the ladder eventually too. Exciting times ahead!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 4:52pm
Certainly excited for Kilkenny.
A stylish midfielder of the type we don't get many of at this level.

Would be a surprise if he were to get a start after last season when he barely figured but maybe he has just come on and is now ready.

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 5:03pm
A couple on this thread expect him to start due to injuries and a good pre season: https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/afc-bournemouth-v-west-brom.14243/

Seems interesting that Scott Parker is playing him in a more withdrawn role, given that Parker would have played in the engine room for a long time at a high level. He must have seen something and surely has the eye to see it. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 8:07pm
Travers' only competition at the moment seems to be another young keeper who has only played non league? Huge few weeks coming up for him so in that case, he has had a few chances to establish himself in previous seasons and hasn't taken them, he probably needs to take this one if it's to work out for him at Bournemouth.

Kilkenny has been very patient in waiting for his chance, hopefully he gets it now, if he doesn't then he desperately needs a loan move in the next few weeks.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Travers' only competition at the moment seems to be another young keeper who has only played non league? Huge few weeks coming up for him so in that case, he has had a few chances to establish himself in previous seasons and hasn't taken them, he probably needs to take this one if it's to work out for him at Bournemouth.

Kilkenny has been very patient in waiting for his chance, hopefully he gets it now, if he doesn't then he desperately needs a loan move in the next few weeks.

I think Travers started their first league game against Blackburn last season and wasn't seen again after a howler. Hopefully he makes a better first impression this time.
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 8:15pm

Ya if he plays a few dodgy games it’s hard to see him getting another chance there. I think they were trying to sign Woodman from Newcastle a few weeks back which wasn’t a great sign for Travers . 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

Ya if he plays a few dodgy games it’s hard to see him getting another chance there. I think they were trying to sign Woodman from Newcastle a few weeks back which wasn’t a great sign for Travers . 

You would hope Travers gets a run but to my eyes they will sign a keeper. So frustrating he was called back last season as the regular run of games on L1 would have been huge for him. 

O’Shea and Robinson will feature very prominently I suspect for WB and I think Kilkenny will get his breakthrough although might be a rotational option as Pearson Lerma and Cook get back fit. All those players have issues and Parker may not like one or two of them (Parker seems to be quite black and white either likes you are doesn’t) hence this might benefit Kilkenny. 

Also would be interested to see where Hourihane ends up. He likely will end up at a Championship club challenging for promotion.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 12:40am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I think Travers started their first league game against Blackburn last season and wasn't seen again after a howler. Hopefully he makes a better first impression this time.

Begovic missed their first game though injury, Travers was never first choice to begin with.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Begovic missed their first game though injury, Travers was never first choice to begin with.

He might not be first choice now either. The first choice could well be a new recruit. It's up to him to have a good game this weekend to tame management's potentially wandering eye. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 9:40am

Didn't have a great game that day. The season before that he was neck and neck with Ramsdale in pre-season but Ramsdale got the nod and made the jersey his own that year.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 6:47pm
Gavin STARTS tonight Thumbs Up
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Gavin STARTS tonight Thumbs Up

You beat me to it Fozz 😀

All four lads start today which is a great opportunity, especially for Travers and kilkenny 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 28>
  Share Topic