You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joe Hodge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 40>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 9:27am
Both played pretty well I thought. Ronan is the best set piece taker in our squad and unlucky not to score. Hodge very tenacious and just has great instincts always knows where danger is as well as tidy on the ball, I think playing next to him gave Neves more freedom.
Sponsored Links

SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 7:03pm
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/i-feel-like-i-can-do-a-bit-of-everything-joe-hodge-gets-wolves-break-42138391.html

Have a feeling he'll be 'concentrating on his club football' when international time comes around 

Hopefully he won't string us along like the other 2
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/i-feel-like-i-can-do-a-bit-of-everything-joe-hodge-gets-wolves-break-42138391.html

Have a feeling he'll be 'concentrating on his club football' when international time comes around 

No chance.
This lad is with us and shoulda been in the squad.

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 10:35pm

Not sure how you could respond to that article draw that conclusion. 

You might have that expectation and I respect your right to remain skeptical but did you even read the Independent article? 
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 12:13am

I also have a feeling that this might be the case. 
Here we go again
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 12:46am
Why ?
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 1:47am
I suspect his first team game time will be limited post Xmas and I look forward to seeing him with our U21s in the new year! Giving him a cap now would make zero difference to his ultimate choice of allegiance which none of us can second guess!
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 7:38am
The scepticism here comes down to an inconsistency in Kenny's selection - picking Ferguson but not Hodge. The very reasons he gave for picking Ferguson also apply to Hodge (where might he be by March etc), plus we know from previous comments that Kenny was a big fan of Hodge coming through the age groups. And that Kenny has spoken previously of wanting to avoid any repeat of the Declan Rice situation. So why not pick him and get him involving the senior setup?

One possibility is that Kenny is just being hugely inconsistent in how he is dealing with the two players. The other is that he's covering for Hodge not wanting a call up. It's one or the other. No idea which is the case but both are equally possible I would say. 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 8:38am
But has anyone read the interview in the Independent? I know we have dealt with two complete and utter narcissists before but there are quotes and quotes about how his ultimate aim is to get into our senior side in that interview. 

Oh, and this is a friendly too in case anyone has forgotten. 

I don't blame anyone for being skeptical but this lad is saying he wants to senior call up but appreciates that there are lads like Cullen and Molumby there who deserve it and he is working to get the call up and it is his objective. Can't we re-open the discussion when he says or does something that actually implies he will jump? 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 9:35am
He wouldn't get in England's U21s never mind the senior team. Don't know why people get worried. He knows if he wants to play international football it's happening with us and would be blessed to get caps with England.
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

He wouldn't get in England's U21s never mind the senior team. Don't know why people get worried. He knows if he wants to play international football it's happening with us and would be blessed to get caps with England.

You would have said very same about Rice.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 12:35pm
That he wouldn't switch, possibly because he accepted caps for our senior team. That he'd be blessed to get caps for England, not in a million years as England were crying out for a number 6 like him to come in and replace Henderson long term.

Eric Dier, Fabian Delph, and Lotus Cheek were the other midfielders for England at the 2018 WC. England are in a much much better position midfield wise than they were when Rice jumped ship.

You're seeing talented young players choosing not to declare for England these days because of the level of competition there is, so I can't see Hodge doing the opposite and choosing to switch which will likely end his international career at senior level.

Edited by J89 - 13 Nov 2022 at 12:36pm
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 3:36pm
Well, he's at the Aviva today watching Derry vs Shels

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 3:39pm
Fair play to him for travelling over having been on the bench for Wolves yesterday. Definitely tips the needle more towards inconsistency from Kenny than any reluctance from Hodge.
engpad View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 3:45pm
Is he over and meeting up with the squad then or what if he's at the cup final today? I know he was at Derry briefly but would be surprised if he was over just to support them given the lack of time he was actually there. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by engpad engpad wrote:

Is he over and meeting up with the squad then or what if he's at the cup final today? I know he was at Derry briefly but would be surprised if he was over just to support them given the lack of time he was actually there. 

Would be great if he's over meeting up with the squad and taking in the cup final while there. Interesting if he's here just for the cup final given he didn't get to play with Derry and wasn't there long.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 3:59pm
All the signs are this lad is invested in our football.
He travelled and played in that U20's match when the likes of Okoflex and Sotona didn't bother.
He's learned the national anthem!
At the cup-final today.

Kenny should have called him up.

Edited by Fozz - 13 Nov 2022 at 3:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 40>
  Share Topic