You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joe Hodge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 40>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 4:01pm
If there are any midfield call offs there's still an opportunity to bring him in, which should absolutely be taken.
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

If there are any midfield call offs there's still an opportunity to bring him in, which should absolutely be taken.

sh*t if Will Keane doesn't make it call him up. There's five other CFs there so no need for six. Though it's a training camp so no reason that Coventry or Hodge shouldn't have went to train like Omobamidele and Lee O'Connor did last summer.

Edited by J89 - 13 Nov 2022 at 4:47pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 4:52pm
What is Hodge's connection to Ireland?

There is not too many players playing in England that would travel over for this game. Fair play to him.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 4:53pm
Irish granny, Bernadette Hanlen, from Dublin.

Edited by Green Cockade - 13 Nov 2022 at 4:54pm
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

He says in the Indo interview that his family wanted him to give it a go with Ireland even when he was with England. His father seems to be very close to his career. Easy to assume that it was a Louie Barry type job whereby he accepted a call up and caps that wouldn't tie him in a sentimental nod to a grandparent. Even so, he has stuck with us and sounds committed. 

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

What is Hodge's connection to Ireland?

There is not too many players playing in England that would travel over for this game. Fair play to him.

Yeah, it’s great to see Clap
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 12:07pm
To suggest it is one or the other is hugely simplistic. Loads of variables go into picking a squad. Loads of strikers are out injured. Ferguson is also a different type of striker than we have. 

Hodge looks good but then so does Coventry and Smallbone (Ronan to lesser extent). I suspect Smallbone will see plenty of game time and he wanted experience around him to give him a better chance.

Coventry/Hodge/Ronan need to get a move and get game time. Law of averages one of them will come good but they won't sitting on the bench.
It's not me it's you:-)
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 12:47pm
Hodge doesn't need a move he's 20 years old getting premier league and cup minutes. Maybe would help for Ireland but his situation is best for his development right now. Unless Wolves buy another senior midfielders there is 4 for 3 positions so Joe being 5th choice isn't at all bad providing Lopetegui rates him.

Hodge has a cameo in the welcome to Wolves video for Lopetegui. (Around 4th minute) Looks a shy lad you wouldn't think it by his play style though. https://youtu.be/1RQ7RPHSoeE
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

FAO Sham 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 1:39pm
LOL
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 3:02pm
LOL
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 5:30pm
We should definitely be integrating Hodge into the squad.  

Has been excellent for our underage sides all the way up, more often than not playing a few age-grades ahead. 

He is likely to be at the level to be a feature of our senior team in the future - these friendlies are precisely the time to get the likes of him (and Coventry and Ronan) involved.  

Even if it's just linking up with the squad and training, although I'd have no problem with Hodge (or Coventry or Ronan) get a run-out against Malta.  

Would defo have Ronan in too - his performances in the SPL last year speak for themselves (and, according to Kenny that is our standard, see Scales and McGrath).  

Also importantly, Ronan is the best set-piece taker we have (if Hourihane's days are done). More than most teams, we have a certain high degree of reliance on set-pieces and it's worth getting right.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

We should definitely be integrating Hodge into the squad.  

Has been excellent for our underage sides all the way up, more often than not playing a few age-grades ahead. 

He is likely to be at the level to be a feature of our senior team in the future - these friendlies are precisely the time to get the likes of him (and Coventry and Ronan) involved.  

Even if it's just linking up with the squad and training, although I'd have no problem with Hodge (or Coventry or Ronan) get a run-out against Malta.  

Would defo have Ronan in too - his performances in the SPL last year speak for themselves (and, according to Kenny that is our standard, see Scales and McGrath).  

Also importantly, Ronan is the best set-piece taker we have (if Hourihane's days are done). More than most teams, we have a certain high degree of reliance on set-pieces and it's worth getting right.

Robbie Brady says Hello!!!
Idah Dream!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 2:16pm
Haha.

When's the last time Robbie Brady took a good set-piece for Ireland?  Over 5 years?

He was poor in his recent appearance (he may even have been taken off them after a bit).  Big loopy corners. 

We are lacking reliable set-piece takers at present.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 2:23pm

Haha.

When's the last time Robbie Brady took a good set-piece for Ireland?  Over 5 years?

He was poor in his recent appearance (he may even have been taken off them after a bit).  Big loopy corners. 

We are lacking reliable set-piece takers at present.
The penalty against Armenia!

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 2:43pm
A peno is statistically unlikely to miss. 

I'm talking about free-kicks and corners - whipping the ball in at a low trajectory for our formidable headers to convert.  

We're great on the receiving end - Duffy, Egan, Collns , to name a few lads that can convert - but the delivery in has been poor for some time now, including Brady unfortunately.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 3:09pm

Haha.

Our first goal against Armenia in September was from a Robbie Brady corner ffs
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 7:57pm
I missed that game in fairness, though I see from the highlights it was a quality delivery. 

What's rare is beautiful. 

In his earlier matches back, the delivery was poor though - I think he was taken off them and Cullen (not known for set-pieces) tried a few which were also poor.  McClean then took over and that was far better at clipping them in at pace.

Anyway, Ronan could be a good option.  We'll see how many more matches Brady is around for.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 40>
  Share Topic