You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joe Hodge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 40>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 9:23am
Can't be capping U17's for the sake of capping them ffs.

If anything that sort of tactic will deter them from joining us.

Edited by coyne - 08 Sep 2020 at 9:24am
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 9:33am
Yeah, I'm a huge Joe fan but the idea he should be in or near the Senior squad now is nonsense.
The highest level he has played at are U19 international and Club U18.

He turns 18 this month and may go on loan this season.
If he does and impresses, then he should be on the radar but even so, would be a huge step up.

Let's see how he gets on at U21 level in the 3 remaining games but all going well, by this time next year he may have a higher profile after some men's football and look somewhat ready for a call-up but a long way to go.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Yeah, I'm a huge Joe fan but the idea he should be in or near the Senior squad now is nonsense.
The highest level he has played at are U19 international and Club U18.

He turns 18 this month and may go on loan this season.
If he does and impresses, then he should be on the radar but even so, would be a huge step up.

Let's see how he gets on at U21 level in the 3 remaining games but all going well, by this time next year he may have a higher profile after some men's football and look somewhat ready for a call-up but a long way to go.
yeah and his head will be turned by that stage.if he was at any other club he would already be in and around the first team. 
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

yeah and his head will be turned by that stage.if he was at any other club he would already be in and around the first team. 

I'm not ignoring the Rice-factor here.
But the fact remains the lad is still a child and has yet to play men's football anywhere.

As we've seen, these NL games are not easy.
He needs to get playing games for a club somewhere and I am hoping he goes out on loan when he turns 18.
If he does, and does well, then he moves up in the pecking order.

Edited by Fozz - 08 Sep 2020 at 9:53am
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

I'm not ignoring the Rice-factor here.
But the fact remains the lad is still a child and has yet to play men's football anywhere.

As we've seen, these NL games are not easy.
He needs to get playing games for a club somewhere and I am hoping he goes out on loan when he turns 18.
If he does, and does well, then he moves up in the pecking order.

Why does he need to play games for a club somewhere? Any club he plays for will likely be better than us so why does he have to play for a better team to play for us? 

NL games aren’t easy and we sit tied for last. Funnily though Wales are in first and what players have they used? Oh right they just started Dylan Levitt who only has one first team appearance at club level. And he’s just to go along with the several others who made their Wales debut before club. Don’t give some sh*t about the NL games aren’t easy when the team winning our group is doing the very thing your against. 

He’s also not going on loan. No top club loans out second year scholars. He’ll be playing u23s this season. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 10:55am
Dylan Levitt is almost two years older than Joe Hodge though so I don't think that's a fair comparison.
Two years is a lot at his age.

I'm completely in favour of capping young lads if they are ready for it.
Smallbone I'd have had in the senior squad and capped in one of the two games.

But almost 18-year old Joe Hodge is simply not ready, much as we would love him to be.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 1:28pm
I'm with Citizen on this one. I think we should be calling up our most promising youngsters in the younger age groups, if they are that talented, get them in early. 
Whether they are dual players or not, I think there is a case for saying, central midfield and striker are two of our most 'missing' areas of quality in our squad. The older players can fill a gap but why not also have included your most promising centre midfielder (e.g. Hodge) or striker (e.g. Troy) and get them in before they have made the break through at their clubs (its much more difficult to break in at Spurs or City). 

Wales have done this brilliantly. They do have a good crop coming through but they have also propelled them rather than waiting around for them to happen at their clubs. Been saying this for a few years now but I think it's a great example to follow. 

It doesn't have to be total rely on youngers but you could make the case that someone like Hodge takes the place of Alan Browne and Troy takes the place of Maguire.

I for one would like to see more of that.

Add in the dual factor for Hodge and people like Smallbone, getting them capped earlier also helps to avoid a Rice situation or makes them make the call earlier rather stringing us on and eventually going to England

Edited by t_rAndy - 08 Sep 2020 at 1:30pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 1:33pm
Exactly. Robbie was called in early as eas Liam brady.   Talent is obvious at.times and If the manager sees talent get them into the squad.  

Kenny did that with u21s   He promoted people beyond their which didnt happen with Noel King.   

He will do the same I think with Seniors.  The playoffs are not the time for it but maybe the nations league games in November 
AKA pedantic kunt
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Exactly. Robbie was called in early as eas Liam brady.   Talent is obvious at.times and If the manager sees talent get them into the squad.  

Kenny did that with u21s   He promoted people beyond their which didnt happen with Noel King.   

He will do the same I think with Seniors.  The playoffs are not the time for it but maybe the nations league games in November 

Giles too 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Talent is obvious at.times and If the manager sees talent get them into the squad.  

How can you judge someone who hasn't even played at reserve level for his club yet.

I know Kenny's already seen him him at U17 level but the lads barely grown pubes and people are asking him to call him up. Let him develop! 

ROI section has been mad over the weekend but this is making me mald.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 2:29pm
So, serious point here: we have really struggled in midfield since Roy Keane retired. We had consecutive generations of true great midfielders in Roy Keane, Ronnie Whelan, Paul McGrath (pre-cb), Liam Brady, Jonny Giles, and a supportive cast of many brilliant players like Andy Townsend, Matt Holland...

We’ve never replaced Roy. In the last 15 years we’ve never found an international standard player who can be the backbone of our midfield. 

I AM NOT saying that Joe Hodge is that player, but we need to do something strategically to ensure that we are filling our midfield pipeline. We need to cast the net and do whatever we can to help our players reach their potential. No option should be off the table.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 2:43pm
I mostly agree with these sentiments and I reckon Troy will be in every squad going forward that he is fit for, despite not having done anything in men's football yet.
This is evidence of Kenny's approach and Hodge was called into the 21's camp at 17, so things are changing rapidly.

Joe is a step behind Troy though and has not even ever played above U19 level.
We have three U21 games left this year and every chance we will see him there.

irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 10:55pm
One of our most exciting youngsters off to Derry on loan. Great news for ensuring he stays with us too
Here we go again
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

One of our most exciting youngsters off to Derry on loan. Great news for ensuring he stays with us too
Moved your post here to the existing Joe Hodge thread.
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Moved your post here to the existing Joe Hodge thread.

Whoops, couldn't find it. Thumbs Up
Here we go again
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 11:35pm
This is great news.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 11:39pm
He was the standout played in both the u17 and u19 championships two years ago. Would be a great signing for the muckers. Hope he does well wherever he does end up but f**k DerryLOL
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 11:45pm
Brilliant news. Worth sharing this again:

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 40>
  Share Topic