You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speeding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

They need to change the speeding policy in my opinion.

I was done for speeding between Kill and Rathcoole 112km in a 100km zone (that stretch can also change from 120 to 100. My point is that I was fined for speeding on a Motorway doing 12% more speed than allowed. 80 + 3 points.

Someone else can do 80km in a 50km zone in a built up area with the risk of kids running out on the road or cars pulling out from a side road. 80e + 3 points.
Or, and this is a f**king mental idea, stay within the speed limit and get no points!
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I was done for speeding between Kill and Rathcoole 112km in a 100km zone (that stretch can also change from 120 to 100. My point is that I was fined for speeding on a Motorway doing 12% more speed than allowed. 80 + 3 points.

Someone else can do 80km in a 50km zone in a built up area with the risk of kids running out on the road or cars pulling out from a side road. 80e + 3 points.
Or, and this is a f**king mental idea, stay within the speed limit and get no points!
The Germans definietly have it right with the "do what the f**k you want on the motorway but no speeding in built up areas" approach. Punish spedding where appropriate, no point having a bunch of speed traps on a motorway.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 11:40pm

The speed limit between Kill and Rathcoole is 100km it has never been 120km.Speed limits in Ireland are a joke 80km out by Lucan when 100km would be fine.The roadworks around Naas/Newbridge 60km is a joke the same type of roadworks in the UK is 50m/ph and that's reasonable and fair. 

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 11 Jul 2019 at 11:41pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 11:54pm
Speed limits are generally nonsensical all over this country. Most of them were set in the 70s/80s when car braking distances were about 6 times longer than what they are now. Long, straight dual carraigeways where it would be perfectly safe to do 100km/h have been set at 60/70/80 just so the state can collect revenue handily. 

Equally, there are plenty 'B' roads in the country where limits are set at 100km/h and you would nearly want to be a WRC driver to start attempting it, you hear less about those roads as nobody gets caught for speeding for 2 reasons, first it would be  nearly suicidal to go any faster, and second the physical difficulty of going faster than that means the speed vans are at nothing while out revenue collecting, they'd be lucky to catch anyone at all even if they stayed on it for 24 hours. 

Speed limits in built up areas or where there are dangerous junctions- fair enough- don't think anyone should have an issue with that, but you never really see a speed van in those type of areas, they are generally situated where the limit has been set lower than it should be in the first place instead. 

Our road traffic death numbers have improved vastly since the 80's & 90's, and that's mainly down to the standard of road and little else, it certainly isn't due to driver behaviour improvements, though to be fair, the current test is a lot more comprehensive than it used to be. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 12:32am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Not the point. I am not arguing about being fined for breaking the limit. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
daboi89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daboi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Speed limits are generally nonsensical all over this country. Most of them were set in the 70s/80s when car braking distances were about 6 times longer than what they are now. Long, straight dual carraigeways where it would be perfectly safe to do 100km/h have been set at 60/70/80 just so the state can collect revenue handily. 

Equally, there are plenty 'B' roads in the country where limits are set at 100km/h and you would nearly want to be a WRC driver to start attempting it, you hear less about those roads as nobody gets caught for speeding for 2 reasons, first it would be  nearly suicidal to go any faster, and second the physical difficulty of going faster than that means the speed vans are at nothing while out revenue collecting, they'd be lucky to catch anyone at all

this was exactly my point. ill take my 3 points and 80 fine and be wary in future.

but the stretch of dual carriage way where i was done is insane to limit it to 100. when the road turns woeful 10 mile down the road, but maintains its 100 limit   but its handy revenue for them
daboi89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daboi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 7:38pm
3 and a half weeks now and still no letter/summons has arrived
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 9:36pm
Question for the thick thread, perhaps, but do you get a fine and points on the licence if caught by a speed van or just the fine?
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Question for the thick thread, perhaps, but do you get a fine and points on the licence if caught by a speed van or just the fine?
both
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

both

sh*te. Now the anxious wait for a letter.

Think I was approx. 3 or 4 over limit.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 10:43pm
80 euro and 3 points - no impact on insurance but let them know when you;re renewing.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 11:56am

both

If you were in a 50 zone you’ll be grand! They usually give you 10% leeway well up North anyway.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 4:10pm

both

If you were only 3/4km over the limit you’ll be grand. If however you noticed the van, hit the brake and then checked the speedo and were only 3/4 over, you could be in trouble of they nabbed you before you tapped the anchor. In an 80 kph zone, as the copper that oversees our speed system says...88 you’re great, 89 you’re mine...
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 4:28pm

both

If you were only 3/4km over the limit you’ll be grand. If however you noticed the van, hit the brake and then checked the speedo and were only 3/4 over, you could be in trouble of they nabbed you before you tapped the anchor. In an 80 kph zone, as the copper that oversees our speed system says...88 you’re great, 89 you’re mine...

I thought at 88 you go Back to the Future no?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

both

I thought at 88 you go Back to the Future no?
That would have been miles per hour 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic