You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speeding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daboi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speeding
    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 10:36am
A rare post for me these days

Currently waiting in knock airport for a flight back to work London

Got stopped on the N4 outside Sligo town this morning.   Dual carriage way , one of the safest and straightest roads in the west .

Looked in my rear view at 9am this morning and there was a loan ban garda behind me (unmarked 161 white mondeo Estate) with blue lights blazing and head lights flashing like something out of f**king SKYs roadwars.

Pulled in and she comes to the window and says, licence please you were doing 130 in a 100 zone.

Handed her the licence and she f**ks off into the car. Comes back a few mins later and she says €80 fine and 3 points. I said no bother

"Can I have a copy of the gatso gun calibration certificate"

To which she leans in the window and says

"Is it 3 points or 6 points you want , slow down"

And f**ks off back to her car

Sligo Gardai

Edited by daboi89 - 09 Jul 2019 at 10:39am
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:29am
You didnt finish the story. So did you get any fine or not? Did she back down when you asked for the calibration cert?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
daboi89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daboi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:43am
I almost started laughing when she said about the 6 points . I didn't respond tho.

She didn't produce any calibration cert

Said I had 28 days to appeal as she left
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:45am
were you doing 130 in a 100 zone?
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
daboi89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daboi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

were you doing 130 in a 100 zone?

Yes Liam

I have admitted my speed in the first post . Although I have no idea what speed I was going on. Apparently handing my licence over when she asked for it is an admission of guilt .

I stayed silent throughout.

Edited by daboi89 - 09 Jul 2019 at 11:48am
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:07pm
This is the only line - that's her saying it - it's why I asked, as I presumed like others that maybe there was a doubt to the speeding

Pulled in and she comes to the window and says, licence please you were doing 130 in a 100 zone. 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:25pm
Point is, if you want to challenge the calibration, you'll need to go to court. You go to court, you don't get the benefit for paying the fixed charge notice and the lower number of points. It's automatically higher points if you go to court and lose.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:25pm
I got my first ever penalty points in the post yesterday too.

129kmh in a 120km zone (M7 outside Portlaoise).

3 points and €80 fine.

I'm hearing it doesn't affect insurance etc until you get over 6, anyone any experience?

darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:41pm
So that 10% leeway is a myth is it? 
The dark side.. And the light
daboi89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daboi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Point is, if you want to challenge the calibration, you'll need to go to court. You go to court, you don't get the benefit for paying the fixed charge notice and the lower number of points. It's automatically higher points if you go to court and lose.

She wasn't wearing a body camera

So there would be no record of me asking for a calibration cert . And it would be difficult to prove I asked for it and she handed me back my licence said I had 28 days to appeal when the letter comes and fuked off.

I'll just accept it . Bit what annoys me is the shooting fish in a barrel term.

It's 14km of new carriage way. Identical to motorway . With 2 roundabouts for 20km. Just sit With a radar gun and you'll have your quote in no time.

Then again I was over the limit. Which isn't too difficult on that particular stretch

Edited by daboi89 - 09 Jul 2019 at 1:03pm
daboi89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daboi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

3 points and €80 fine.

I'm hearing it doesn't affect insurance etc until you get over 6, anyone any experience?

That's a farce.    129km on a motorway
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by daboi89 daboi89 wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

She wasn't wearing a body camera

So there would be no record of me asking for a calibration cert . And it would be difficult to prove I asked for it and she handed me back my licence said I had 28 days to appeal when the letter comes and fuked off.

I'll just accept it . Bit what annoys me is the shooting fish in a barrel term.

It's 14km of new carriage way. Identical to motorway . With 2 roundabouts for 20km. Just sit With a radar gun and you'll have your quote in no time.

Then again I was over the limit. Which isn't too difficult on that particular stretch

Whether you did or didn't ask for a calibration cert is completely irrelevant. She has no obligation to give you the cert. When they might have an obligation is if you don't pay the fixed charge notice and it ends up in court and you specifically seek disclosure of it at that stage. That's a long way down the track.

It probably isn't relevant if you make an application to cancel the FCPN. What you can do is make that application anyway but I'd prepare to be disappointed:

https://www.garda.ie/en/Roads-Policing/Fixed-Charge-Notices/Cancelling-Fixed-Charge-Notices.html
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 7:28pm
Hi Meath boy you broke the law end of. Pay up
Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

3 points and €80 fine.

It depends on the insurance company.  Mine went up €60 approx at renewal (for first 3 points). 
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:50am
Yeah any points will affect the premium with some insurers. Mightn't be much for 3 but still more than likely be some hike. Any excuse to get more money
Some people just deserve a slap
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:56am
Slightly off topic, but not so long ago I got a legitimate parking ticket as half the car was parked in a bus lane on the Lisburn Road in Belfast. Got my mate whos a mechanic to do me out an invoice to say that my fuel gauage was faulty and I then appealed the ticket saying I had run out of fuel and had to walk to a garage to get some and had no other option but to leave the car there, with the invoice as evidence for this. The ticket and fine was scrapped Big smile
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 3:41pm
They need to change the speeding policy in my opinion.

I was done for speeding between Kill and Rathcoole 112km in a 100km zone (that stretch can also change from 120 to 100. My point is that I was fined for speeding on a Motorway doing 12% more speed than allowed. 80 + 3 points.

Someone else can do 80km in a 50km zone in a built up area with the risk of kids running out on the road or cars pulling out from a side road. 80e + 3 points.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

They need to change the speeding policy in my opinion.

I was done for speeding between Kill and Rathcoole 112km in a 100km zone (that stretch can also change from 120 to 100. My point is that I was fined for speeding on a Motorway doing 12% more speed than allowed. 80 + 3 points.

Someone else can do 80km in a 50km zone in a built up area with the risk of kids running out on the road or cars pulling out from a side road. 80e + 3 points.

would tend to agree with the general thrust

when I did the speed awareness course in lieu of points they emphasised the greatly increased chance of survival being struck at 30mph or indeed 20 as against 40mph whereas an accident at 70mph and 80mph is unlikely to be much of a  different outcome
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic