You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plans for All-Island League by 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribesman91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 2:43pm
I think it's a great idea. I worry for Galway United though. If we don't make the cut for the Championship South, where do we play?
Sponsored Links

Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 2:50pm
It is a great idea and it may get support amongst teams like Cliftonville and Newry maybe even Larne who have a businessman in charge who could let his head rule his heart but as for the likes of Linfield, Crusaders, Ballymena, Ards, Carrick, Coleraine or even Glenavon and Glentoran supporting such a proposal would be highly unlikely. They are partitionists at heart. Happy to play in their wee country. An all island league would be another step towards a United Ireland and the Kerryman a secret Shinner. Sad but true.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Can't believe people like the idea of playoffs to decide the overall winner, what a load of sh*te.

Nothing better than winning the league at home in front of your own fans, leave the day out for the cup final

Play offs are for promotion, not for the top league. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 4:19pm
it sounds good, and its got to be better than what we have , both sides...
the setanta cup was great until linfield and the other 'big ' teams took their ball away...
i know the nord dont care about europe but 3 entries and at least 240 k from uefa is better than potentialy one otwo of them scraping the last eufa cup spot..
have they lost a spot.. wow thats a kick in the goolies , spose thats what happens when they 'dont care'

Come on Irelind
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 4:20pm
there are a lot of issues to iron out. I also don't want to get too excited about something that has the potential to be truly transformative for Irish football because that idea just seems too much of a dream. But i am impressed by the idea thus far.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 8:30pm
I'd love for this to happen for a whole host of reasons, all of which are a win win for all sides.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 8:36pm
it's a great idea!a lot less travel for harps too.  Doubt it will happen though
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 8:56pm
They still haven’t described how it can be one league with two associations with separate European places assigned to them though have they?
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 10:50pm
The Irish league fans are already against it.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 10:31am
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

The Irish league fans are already against it.
they all voted to leave in brexit.. this is a back door in again
Come on Irelind
BucksburnDandy View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BucksburnDandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 8:21pm
As an outsider, I would be far more likely to tune into the likes of a Linfield v Shamrock Rovers or a Bohs v Cliftonville match than watching either league just now. An all-Ireland league should match the majority of clubs in Scotland in terms of stature and size, even in spite of the popularity of GAA. Hope this happens.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 4:24pm
First real meeting off all the stakeholders tonight. Be interesting to see the result 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 10:08pm
Let me think about this, the working class northern protestant are most likely feeling a little isolated and vulnerable at the moment. I don't think they will be eager for this given the current prevailing political situation. Quite the opposite if truth be told. The last thing they'll support is anything with an all Ireland dimension.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Let me think about this, the working class northern protestant are most likely feeling a little isolated and vulnerable at the moment. I don't think they will be eager for this given the current prevailing political situation. Quite the opposite if truth be told. The last thing they'll support is anything with an all Ireland dimension.

"Money talks and bullsh*t walks"
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Yep, as typified by this NI club chairman who tweeted this the other day:

"Lots of media & PR around an All Ireland league, I find the current proposals lack substance and are unrealistic, some of our southern clubs joining @OfficialNIFL could be a way forward, we in the north have a very progressive league and we should be weary of tampering with it."

Oh, wait. That particular Chairman was Gerard Lawlor of Cliftonville LOL

Never mind, you can read more of what he thinks below:

Cliftonville chairman Gerard Lawlor labels All-Island League idea as 'pipe dream'

Cliftonville chairman Lawlor, who is also vice-chair of the the NI Football League, believes Irish League clubs should adopt a cautious approach.

"I have met Kieran (Lucid) a number of times to hear the proposals and plans, and I am still struggling to understand how it would all work," Lawlor said.

"There is no meat on the bones and I believe the idea is unrealistic at this moment in time.

"We have a very good product here in the NI Football League. Our league is strong and highly competitive, crowds are increasing, and we are building momentum.

"I just don't see why we should lose all that momentum by following this al-island idea that has very little substance behind it right now.

"I am not sure there is an appetite from clubs in the NI Football League. Our member clubs have been invited to Thursday's meeting and some may attend, some might not.

"I just have serious reservations over the idea, and I don't see where the revenue streams will come from to fund the league and the teams competing in it.

"It is very much a non-runner as far as I am concerned. The grass may look greener, but it generally isn't."

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cliftonville-chairman-gerard-lawlor-labels-17126488

And as for the Orange bastards at Linfield, they're so implacably opposed to anything which smacks of "All-Ireland" that they're boycotting the whole thing entirely.

No, wait, I've got that one wrong too.

Seems they sent their General Manager along to the meeting tonight "to see what's on the table".

Their GM is some fella called Pat Fenlon.

Anyone on here ever heard of him?

(Fortunately for Linfield, tonight's meeting didn't clash with this: https://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/football/linfield-and-dundalk-ready-for-unite-the-union-champions-cup-clash-1-9110869 )

Edited by Territorial - 24 Oct 2019 at 11:40pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 11:45pm
Do you ever find yourself arguing with yourself Terrence?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Not so much arguing I would say, more that he writes an article and then quotes it back to himself when he finds himself disagreeing with himself. He will then add a picture of a cat or the like to cheer himself up.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 1:26am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

No, I only argue with people like 'Cabra Hoop'.

You know, the poster who made an assumption about NI clubs being opposed to the concept of an AIL, without any knowledge or evidence of same.

In other words, he pre-judged the situation. And if he/she needs a definition of "pre-judged", it can be found in any dictionary, next to "prejudiced".

Edited by Territorial - 25 Oct 2019 at 1:33am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic