You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plans for All-Island League by 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plans for All-Island League by 2021
    Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 9:37am
More details on this in the papers today. This group weren't ready to go public  just yet but got mentioned by Noel Mooney on an podcast last week and have had to react to that and start doing press. They're one of the stakeholders that the YBIG Mandate have met and have had ongoing engagement with. Their plans are well developed and very impressive although their timescales are very tight imo. Any thoughts from the LOI section of the board?

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Sponsored Links

mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 10:00am
linfield wont join , so some of  the others in the north wont wont either... which will make it a 'semi - all ireland league' ... some teams in the north have too much to loose.. guaranteed euro spots every year
Come on Irelind
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 10:04am
I don't see any nordie papers running with it.  Can't see it happening especially by 2021.  10 million prize money seems a bit far fetched.  

Would like to see it happen though.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 10:28am
Don't like it at all, would mean smaller clubs like my own stuck in second or third divisions for extended periods of time, wouldn't be able to compete with the bigger clubs.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 10:32am
Is there any appetite in the north for this at all??
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 10:51am
Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

linfield wont join , so some of  the others in the north wont wont either... which will make it a 'semi - all ireland league' ... some teams in the north have too much to loose.. guaranteed euro spots every year

Northern clubs don't seem to care about Europe, also the north is losing a spot now anyway because they have been so poor

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 11:06am
More appetite in the North than down here apparently. 

If prize money at the top end is more than Euro money there's no way the likes of Linfield would pass that up. 

Smaller clubs would have a Division 1 North or South to compete in with a path to the top league which is more attractive than being a yo yo club at the moment. 14 teams in the top league including 5 from NI is only one less ROI club than in the top league at present.

I believe the €10m is long term aim. Starting point is €3.7m through TV, sponsors and cross border initiative funding. 

Our advice was 2021 was too soon and another year or two would be needed to flesh it out. 

It's in the Irish papers today as the group met with Dan McDonnell, Mark McCadden, Johnny Ward and Neil O'Riordan yesterday. There was a piece in the Belfast Telegraph earlier in the week. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 26 Jun 2019 at 11:09am
adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 11:42am
My only complaints would be regarding the proposed schedule, as I'd be in favour of a February-November season. I would also prefer to see the playoffs played across two legs in the clubs own grounds rather than a one leg tie in Dublin or Belfast. 

Other than that, I'm all for this; if it paves the way for a proper pyramid system on the island, let them begin work on it. It can't be worse than what we currently have.

Edited by adineen98 - 26 Jun 2019 at 11:43am
Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 11:42am
I think it's a fantastic idea and offers the best chance for the league to make a huge step forward.

The money being sought is ambitious but we're currently operating not far off zero so anything would be a bonus.

Branding and image would be very important, I don't think the potential for trouble is as high as people think but harsh fines or points penalties would need to be doled out if they did occur. Also games in the lesser stadiums should be limited for live coverage, seeing these grounds on telly is bad for the overall image regardless of the product on the pitch. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 11:51am
Originally posted by adineen98 adineen98 wrote:

My only complaints would be regarding the proposed schedule, as I'd be in favour of a February-November season. I would also prefer to see the playoffs played across two legs in the clubs own grounds rather than a one leg tie in Dublin or Belfast. 

Other than that, I'm all for this; if it paves the way for a proper pyramid system on the island, let them begin work on it. It can't be worse than what we currently have.

The NI clubs won't give up the Stephen's Day fixtures, they're their biggest of the season. It's fair enough. Compromise would have to be part of this. Potential for some great Christmas derby fixtures at the business end of the league. Season would start in April so only giving away Feb/Mar for Nov/Dec. Regular season would end 1st Jan.

The play offs being a showpiece in a major ground is a positive imo and better than a two legged affair. Four clubs involved should generate good crowds plus casual interest. Look at the difference in attendance the cup final gets at present. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 26 Jun 2019 at 11:53am
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 11:58am
The prospect of this happening is too good. It has to be the future, the only way successful football structure in this country could work.

But history tells is it wont work and vested interests will scupper it. Dont forget the FAI split from the IFA, but almost got back together albeit for the sake of one position someone had to give up on some board somewhere. It could be like a homecoming. Anyway both associations can exist. 

Its too exciting. It can be real can it?

Picture big matches, big derbys. Big TV coverage across Britain and Ireland showing these matches. Picture Irish players wanting to be part of it all rather than wallow in the lower leagues in England. Without doubt it would be more blockbuster north and south than what We have. And if its successful you can see how it can only become bigger.

Edited by OohAah... - 26 Jun 2019 at 11:58am
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Don't like it at all, would mean smaller clubs like my own stuck in second or third divisions for extended periods of time, wouldn't be able to compete with the bigger clubs.

If bray win the first division they would be in a pmay off with he sixth best team in the nifl to be in this. They are currently aiming for the 14th place to receive more money than one round of europa league would net you. I struggle to see a better way for you guys to compete legitimately, bearing in mind the last time you tried to play with the big boys you nearly went bust.

Also I actually love the April-New Year's season, end of season games between big teams would be brilliant, and with the spilt you could prioritise rivalries and important ties for the Stephen's Day and NEW year's day ties. I think that's brilliant. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

If bray win the first division they would be in a pmay off with he sixth best team in the nifl to be in this. They are currently aiming for the 14th place to receive more money than one round of europa league would net you. I struggle to see a better way for you guys to compete legitimately, bearing in mind the last time you tried to play with the big boys you nearly went bust.

Also I actually love the April-New Year's season, end of season games between big teams would be brilliant, and with the spilt you could prioritise rivalries and important ties for the Stephen's Day and NEW year's day ties. I think that's brilliant. 

Fair point but don't see how this league isn't that exactly? No way €10m is feasible or sustainable, can't see how it would last or not end in tears. 

While the first season will have 9 LOI teams, who knows from there? We'd now not just be competing with Longford, Galway etc but also your Newry's and Larne's, not an overly attractive proposition for me.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

More appetite in the North than down here apparently. 

If prize money at the top end is more than Euro money there's no way the likes of Linfield would pass that up. 

Smaller clubs would have a Division 1 North or South to compete in with a path to the top league which is more attractive than being a yo yo club at the moment. 14 teams in the top league including 5 from NI is only one less ROI club than in the top league at present.

I believe the €10m is long term aim. Starting point is €3.7m through TV, sponsors and cross border initiative funding. 

Our advice was 2021 was too soon and another year or two would be needed to flesh it out. 

It's in the Irish papers today as the group met with Dan McDonnell, Mark McCadden, Johnny Ward and Neil O'Riordan yesterday. There was a piece in the Belfast Telegraph earlier in the week. 

not for me it isn't, much rather be in a league with six teams competing for four spots than this. At the minute we can compete at lower end of top tier or higher end of the bottom, in the new league we're likely scrapping around for years in the second tier.

Great for the bigs teams, see zero benefit for the smaller ones - just the rich getting richer.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 12:55pm
You could just merge with Cabo!!!!!
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

You could just merge with Cabo!!!!!

Brayinteely FC, catchy
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 2:00pm
14 teams is too many, the quality will be diluted. It seems great otherwise.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 2:08pm
Can't believe people like the idea of playoffs to decide the overall winner, what a load of sh*te.

Nothing better than winning the league at home in front of your own fans, leave the day out for the cup final

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic