Worst Ever Senior Finals Moments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worst Ever Senior Finals Moments
    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Spain 2012.
Torture.
We didn't get a kick.
The end of a tournament in the most humiliating way

Spain were arguably one of the best international sides ever!

And to think Georgia (2017 away) had more possession than this Spain team is more worrying.

I had to google that as it seems unbelievable-

33% v Spain (not sure how we got that much!)
Only 26%  v Georgia.

Does picking the ball out of the back of the net and walking it up the field count?
Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 9:52am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Spain 2012.
Torture.
We didn't get a kick.

And to think Georgia (2017 away) had more possession than this Spain team is more worrying.

I had to google that as it seems unbelievable-

33% v Spain (not sure how we got that much!)
Only 26%  v Georgia.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 9:14am

Spain 2012.
Torture.
We didn't get a kick.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 6:23am

Spain 2012.
Torture.
We didn't get a kick.

We played another game after that (I know we were knocked out after that result but our tournament wasn't over) 
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 3:10am
Spain 2012.
Torture.
We didn't get a kick.

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 9:35pm
Belgian game was grim lads. Maybe cos I totally stayed off the gargle before the game means it remains in my memory more than many of yiz. 3-0 was kind to us. We were utter sh*te.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I don't remember the Belgium game being that bad, we should have had a penalty and a possible red card for alderweireld after he kicked long in the head, I think they scored from the counter on that move.

Now I'd say that would have gone to VAR and who knows I'll agree Belgium were the much better team but that game could have been a hell of a lot different had decisions gone our way 

That was an awful game.  Playing  aimless hoofball to Shane Long. The defence was a mess as well.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Crosby87 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crosby87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 7:02pm
Oh man. I remember my final in Quantum Mechanics senior year.... I hadn't gone to class in months because it was at noon and I watched a 90210 rerun every day at noon on what was then the FX Network.

That was a tough day. 
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

I don't remember the Belgium game being that bad, we should have had a penalty and a possible red card for alderweireld after he kicked long in the head, I think they scored from the counter on that move.

Now I'd say that would have gone to VAR and who knows I'll agree Belgium were the much better team but that game could have been a hell of a lot different had decisions gone our way 

Yeah twas nil all at half time in bordeaux? 

It was indeed. I remember thinking we had half a chance against a very good Belgium side but in theory our midfield were chasing butterflies.

Completely outclassed in the end.
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 5:33pm

Yeah twas nil all at half time in bordeaux? 
Touts Out!
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 4:58pm

Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 4:26pm
Deleted as I now read the thread Embarrassed
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 4:17pm
to quote freewheeler... regarding finals, McGrath's header hitting the post in Gelsenkirchen followed then by Kieft's jammy offside goal (when offside meant offside), absolute sickners.

thats was bad luck for a good team. but its football.. saipan was really really really bad .. that was our generations civil war total f'up by everyone including that ex-irish times reporter.. dirty b*llix..it was his interview/article
packie mistake in orlando was very dissapointing  but werent at the races after italy and i remember being in orlando after that thinking how to get home ....
Come on Irelind
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Still can't forgive Shay Given for Euro 2012.    

In fairness there was more than just players playing through the pain barrier. The nonsense for leaving Coleman at home etc made the tournament a real farce.

Dave O'LEARY was left out of the Euro 88 squad as was Liam BRADY.  I didn't have a big issue with Coleman as he was young and had a poor season at Everton.  Trap probably overtrained the players and should have dropped Dunne and Given and taken the decision out of their hands.

Given said he couldn't jump off his left leg FFS and was getting treatment off the German team doctor on the day of the Croatia match unknown to everybody.  He went way down in my estimation that day.

Brady was suspended for the first two games but got injured and wouldn't have made it anyway.

Back to the thread, regarding finals, McGrath's header hitting the post in Gelsenkirchen followed then by Kieft's jammy offside goal (when offside meant offside), absolute sickners.

Soviet game, we had the most blatant peno ever when Dasaev nearly broke Galvin in two and then still at 1-0 when we had the Soviets on their knees, Aldo missed an absolute sitter from a Galvin cross. That gets forgotten in an outstanding performance from us.

Italia 90, Egypt was truly sh*t and we were never gonna be allowed to beat the Italians so I'd give Packy a bit of a break on the goal.  I wouldn't give him a break however for Jonk's goal in 94, horrific.

I wouldn't put Gdansk in 2012 as a particularly sickening game, Spain were at the top of their game back then and we were carrying a few players and we were ruthlessly exposed and that I saw Iniesta at his brilliant best tempers that game a lot for me. The other two games we were horrific, absolutely.

2002 for worst moments it doesn't really go past Saipan for me, what a crock of sh*t.

France 2016, Bordeaux is down there with Egypt and Norway for the sheer ineptitude of the performance.   At least we didn't lose against Egypt or Norway and they proved crucial points, but Jaysus we were absolutely deplorable in Bordeaux.  People were giving out that many of us went on the lash that night, but for Jaysus sake we'd witnessed 90 plus depressingly bad minutes, we needed something to make that day somewhat less sh*te.

Good thread. Clap

Edited by FREEWHEELER - 20 Jun 2019 at 4:12pm
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 10:58am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

full time v Sweden

thought we'd completely f**ked it and didn't expect us to get anything from Belgium or Italy
Come on, that's not even on the radar.
This

Sure, we came out of the ground after the Sweden match thinking 'we should have won that game'. But one of our worst moments at a tournament?  Not a chance! LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Ah, the '94 one was an absolute howler, '90 was a bit unfortunate. Ball came to him swerving from the original shot and he saved it, was a bit unlucky it rebounded straight to Schillaci. 

It's become a bit of revisionism to chalk it down as a howler by some, no one was saying that at the time. The Jonk one was a horror show. You can see in the difference to his reaction to each goal which would be judged a big error by players. 

Yeah fair enough. I certainly don't think '90 falls into the 'absolute howler' category but it surely is an error, admittedly exacerbated by the unfortunate slip which immediately proceeded it. I'm sure if you asked the man himself he would accept he could have done better with it. There was fierce power on the strike and it was moving though, they are both mitigating factors as you point out.

Also no-one was saying anything like that at the time as the team was pretty much beyond criticism by that point. The term 'revisionism' often invokes negative connotations but that's generally due to it being confused with negationism (denial or distortion of factual events). There's no harm in using the passage of time to review something a bit more objectively and without the rose tinted glasses that we all rightly had on back in the day. Not that I'm looking to scapegoat the man either, I fully accept he was a fine keeper who bailed us out on several occasions and at the end of the day we simply weren't able to cause the Italians enough problems to deserve to progress anyway.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 10:36am

2012 will live long in the memories of sh*t shows alright.

I remember thinking before the tournament like most nick 4 points from Croatia / Italy and we'd scrap through as we weren't getting anything against Spain.

I remember hearing the Spain v Italy result and thinking go out and get the win over Croatia and we're in a good position.

3 minutes in and it was just down hill, St. Ledger gave some little hope but as soon as Jelavic score it just was terrible.

As said didn't expect anything from Spain game but we were simply dreadful, I haven't even watched it back in years but if I remember correctly Spain went easy on us in the second half and in sense 4-0 was probably flattering as it could have been more.

The Italy game as people have said it was a dead rubber not giving some other players a chance to play in a major tournament was probably Traps downfall.

Overall as people said the preparation for the tournament was a farce, we overtrained, certain players were injured/not 100% fit and I believe the team stayed in the Ayia Napa of Poland i.e. party central not great for preparing for a tournament

In my darker moments, I felt the eventual outcome of Euro 2012 was inevitable. The Russian games in 2010 and 2011 should have given us a clue. A fortuitous penalty decision in Dublin potentially stopped a 0-5 defeat that night, and but for some heroic defending and blind luck, we escaped from Moscow with a 0-0 draw after being hammered. We also looked blunt at home against Slovakia. We really made it to the finals on the back of wins against Armenia and Estonia, and when we met teams at the peak of their fitness and ambition, we were slaughtered.

I did watch the Spain highlights last year, and it makes for deeply uncomfortable watching. Our backline looks like something out of a Benny Hill sketch, as they were bamboozled by Spanish skill.

The Italy selection still baffles, and its always worth watching the video on RTÉ discussing the players left behind or on the bench. 
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 10:24am
Trap naming his starting 11 v Croatia a week before the game. 

Genius Clap
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic