You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2019/2020 English League Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

can't fault either of the last two suggestions.  Are you saying no more than 6 changes PM or have I taken you up wrong?
Other way. If it is going to be made meaningless it should be formally meaningless. Completely scrap the FA Cup too.

Don't see the point in that.  Let teams take it seriously if they want.  No one is forcing anyone to attend

De-values the prestige of the competitions. Both English cups are at an all time low

The League Cup is generally dead since it went to Carabao and on the debut season they managed to tweet the draw before it was taken place - Not suspicious at all!

And the FA cup suffers from fixture congestion from the festive period, no teams want to play strong sides when you’ve just had 5 games in 11 days so the competition depends on a fairytale run or a pie eating fat man on the bench
Sponsored Links

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:51pm

To be honest,  I am getting closer and closer to not seeing the point in football and that hurts. The game really annoys me now, nearly everything about it.

Top level football is grim alright and that's without getting down to the problems of lower league clubs.  My watching of EPL and especially Champions League has severely diminished in the last few years.  Used to enjoy the lower league football when in England. Good to be able to support the Harps now im back in Ireland.  The sums involved in top level football and the corruption from the leaders both worldwide and domestically makes you wonder what's the point sometimes alright
killer kilbane View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:05pm
The FA Cup can easily be fixed as I said already by making it Champions league spot. As for the league Cup I suppose it serves a purpose if only for the smaller clubs to get the opertunity to go to the likes of Old Trafford and give themselves a chance. Also an opertunity to win silverware 
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:06pm
I enjoy the community spirit at Cambridge and local non-league here, but seeing Cambridge make six changes to play Brentford reserves is yet another nail in the coffin. Why bother? Is the league that important that nothing else matters than being mid-table in the fourth division? 
I know they won, but where is the satisfaction when the opposition are concentrating on finishing somewhere between 10th and 16th themselves.

I do miss the LOI, but it never felt the same after City died. We also had some monumental weirdos in the support. I know I am an odd **** and we live in a world where you are considered one if you care about LOI/ English lower and non-league football, but it sometimes felt like being at a Wiggum family reunion, with the exception of a few, a couple of whom post on ere occasionally.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by killer kilbane killer kilbane wrote:

The FA Cup can easily be fixed as I said already by making it Champions league spot. As for the league Cup I suppose it serves a purpose if only for the smaller clubs to get the opertunity to go to the likes of Old Trafford and give themselves a chance. Also an opertunity to win silverware 
An opportunity for who? One of the conglomerates at the top of the tree who don’t really give a f**k about it!
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:18pm

With the seeding system in place so that lower league clubs can't be drawn against each other in the 2nd round it's a big ask of them to even get past the 2nd round.

And that they've just already played 3 games in 10 days, most don't give a f**k about the 1st round never mind the 2nd round as PM described Cambridge's lineup.
killer kilbane View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:19pm
Was thinking more the likes of Birmingham, Bradford and Cardiff who all made the final in the last ten years. You are spot ob big clubs couldn't care less bout it
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:24pm

I enjoy the community spirit at Cambridge and local non-league here, but seeing Cambridge make six changes to play Brentford reserves is yet another nail in the coffin. Why bother? Is the league that important that nothing else matters than being mid-table in the fourth division? 
I know they won, but where is the satisfaction when the opposition are concentrating on finishing somewhere between 10th and 16th themselves.

I do miss the LOI, but it never felt the same after City died. We also had some monumental weirdos in the support. I know I am an odd **** and we live in a world where you are considered one if you care about LOI/ English lower and non-league football, but it sometimes felt like being at a Wiggum family reunion, with the exception of a few, a couple of whom post on ere occasionally.

Thank god I'm not the only one who thinks this. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:45pm
It appears that some of them are on the BoM these days!
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:53pm

To be honest,  I am getting closer and closer to not seeing the point in football and that hurts. The game really annoys me now, nearly everything about it.

"You are Victor Meldrew and I claim my five pounds!" (Or should that be "Maldrew"?)

Anyhow, some people enjoy lower- or non-league football because it's closer to the game's roots and not money-obsessed etc.

Others enjoy top-level football because the standard of skill, athleticism and tactical excellence etc is better than it's ever been.

Some people (like me) can enjoy both, each for its respective appeal.

While some people are never happy unless they're moaning about some bloody thing.

Back to you, Vic...
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:03pm

I think you'll find that Brentford's horizons are considerably higher than that, this season at least.

For example, they broke their transfer record three(?) times already this window, whilst holding onto 2 of their 3 star players in the face of PL interest (Benrahma and Watkins) and extracting top dollar from Brighton for Maupay, after turning down a record bid (both ways) from Sheff U.

If nothing else, they'll have a shiny new £100m stadium to move into next season, which they'd just love to host PL football in.

Of course, they're still fairly long odds-against getting up this season, but it certainly won't be for want of trying.

Which concentration on the league at least partly explains their fielding a reserve team last night.

Edited by Territorial - 14 Aug 2019 at 7:03pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 10:04pm
Is this just an English thing or does this happen in the other big leagues - Spain/Italy/Germany etc

I think the cups should remain but with a few changes -

Absolutely no replays - the tie gets decided on the night
The lower placed team always plays at home
Only the final at Wembley 
No VAR

Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 12:41am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

With the seeding system in place so that lower league clubs can't be drawn against each other in the 2nd round it's a big ask of them to even get past the 2nd round.

And that they've just already played 3 games in 10 days, most don't give a f**k about the 1st round never mind the 2nd round as PM described Cambridge's lineup.

2nd round isn't seeded
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

2nd round isn't seeded

2nd round has been seeded since the first very year of its existence ffs LOL

Rule has been more relaxed from this season onwards though to include the geographical location of the clubs. In other words trying to draw more local derbies to make people 'interested'

Edited by coyne - 15 Aug 2019 at 11:54am
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 2:26am
how have Grimsby drawn Macclesfield then?
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 2:29am
I take it you absolutely ignored the last part of the post
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 12:07am
First post

"With the seeding system in place so that lower league clubs can't be drawn against each other in the 2nd round"

second post

"its been relaxed from this season onwards"

which is it?
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 9:30am
Easy win for West Ham tonight or will Newport some of their FA cup form?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic