Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2019 Copa America

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 10:59am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Colombia abysmal tonight. Chile march on after a penalty shootout and it was much deserved. 

Brazil Argentina game coming up midweek. I'm predicting Brazil by 3 or 4. A proper battering.

I reckon Sanchez scoring the winning penalty could be a big turning point for him, confidence was down I can really see him kicking on now.
LOLLOL
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Colombia abysmal tonight. Chile march on after a penalty shootout and it was much deserved. 

Brazil Argentina game coming up midweek. I'm predicting Brazil by 3 or 4. A proper battering.

I reckon Sanchez scoring the winning penalty could be a big turning point for him, confidence was down I can really see him kicking on now.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were on the United thread touting Sanchez as going to be a great player for them next season ala the Bhob. Actually there's a lot of similarities in thinking between yourself and Bhob. Only big difference is you have the cojonas to stick around when you are consistently wrong about United players, and for that you should be commended LOL 

I watched Antonio Valencia in the Copa and I am now in total agreement with you. He is the best RB in the world and has been for the past 5-10 years. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 10:19pm
Chile will win this outright without scoring another goal, it’s that sort of tournament
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 10:30pm

Fancy Qatar to get the result here. Argentina will sh*t themselves 2nd half.
The only team to score a goal in the quarter finals ClapClapClap

As You Were
Three in a row
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I look forward to the SF vs Brazil. This is a truly awful Argentina side. It's sad to see for the likes of Messi and Aguero. I always love seeing Argentina being strong and competing with the best but they are a complete rabble the past 2 years. They are still a long way off fixing that.

I'd genuinely fear for them that Brazil will bludgeon them in midweek. They should camp 10 back in their box imo, and just leave Messi up front and pray he does something by himself. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 12:40pm

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I look forward to the SF vs Brazil. This is a truly awful Argentina side. It's sad to see for the likes of Messi and Aguero. I always love seeing Argentina being strong and competing with the best but they are a complete rabble the past 2 years. They are still a long way off fixing that.

I'd genuinely fear for them that Brazil will bludgeon them in midweek. They should camp 10 back in their box imo, and just leave Messi up front and pray he does something by himself. 

This is an Argentine side firmly in transition, to call them awful is a bit OTT.

They have slowly but surely grown as the tournament has progressed and factoring in that the likes of Taglifico, Lo Celso, Martinez, Foyth, Paredes, Dybala (not starting but getting minutes) etc who are all very inexperienced at international level have been asked to step up which was never going to be easy!

Not to mention having a relative novice in charge Scaloni but overall since he's taken over he has to a point steadied the ship (without being overly flash)

Simeone, Icardi, Correa, Pavon etc all left at home too so there is definitely plenty of talent coming through.

The age old problem for them is that they have had numerous brilliant attacking players but are let down by a dodgy defence, but we shall see over the next few years how well they do. 

On the semi final itself, you would be crazy to not have Brazil as favourites against the Argies for sure, yet at the same time I wouldn't write off them completely either given it's a derby game.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 12:55pm
Having watched Argentina a few times in this tournament, I can say that they are still an awful side, while improving very slightly on the total shambles they were last summer at the WC. They haven't impressed greatly in any of their matches they've played and the opposition really haven't been up to much. 

Brazil are a far better all round side to them and if they score early, they will hammer them. Argentina need to take this game to the gutter to have any chance of progressing.
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 1:01pm
It is the classic of the Americas anything ca happen. Di Maria played full of energy in his cameo. Messi got a few slaps on his face last Friday. Very physical south America streetwise football. Uruguay got 3 goals robbed by Var being the last one from Suarez a fair one! and the cavani goal was on the same line! Riot is VAR doesn't offer anything! On the other hand how tho game is changing in CANADA they gave away a lead vs Haiti and the media and press are destroying the mapple syrup eaters!!!!
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 1:04pm

Having watched Argentina a few times in this tournament, I can say that they are still an awful side, while improving very slightly on the total shambles they were last summer at the WC. They haven't impressed greatly in any of their matches they've played and the opposition really haven't been up to much. 

Brazil are a far better all round side to them and if they score early, they will hammer them. Argentina need to take this game to the gutter to have any chance of progressing.
No wrong Hans...you don't know anything about playing against Brazil. ...giving up the ball and the terrain will kill you ....u have to fight Brazil further and pressure them to make mistakes is the only secure way to beat them. Of course they can score in a counterattack...it is football!!
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 1:08pm
Pressuring further Brazil in the pitch, makes Brazil to commit mistakes... is the only chance you have got. Give in ball ,space and Time is crazy because Brazil has always been a confidence team.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 1:09pm

Argentina's opposition werent up to much? How so?

Paraguay only lost on penalties to Brazil playing 30 odd minutes with 10 men. The same Paraguay side that drew with Argentina?

Venezuela drew with Brazil also? Who Argentina beat 2-0.

Colombia were mightily unlucky to be gone home after a superb group stage. 

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 1:15pm
Colombia sh*t 💩 their pants...vs Chile. Chile got better in the second ball, the rebounds, they were all over them and they were ready for a brawl and a fight. Colombia looked a fancy boy team . Colombia thought it wrongly.
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 1:55pm
You tell em Gerry Clap
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Argentina's opposition werent up to much? How so?

Paraguay only lost on penalties to Brazil playing 30 odd minutes with 10 men. The same Paraguay side that drew with Argentina?

Venezuela drew with Brazil also? Who Argentina beat 2-0.

Colombia were mightily unlucky to be gone home after a superb group stage. 

Usually when I read stuff like this I presume that lads haven't watched the full match and are basing their views on the result. Brazil on another night put 5 past Paraguay. They were that much better than Paraguay.

I watched nearly every minute of Argentina's group matches plus bits and pieces of their QF. The standard of their play both defensively and offensively is poor. Actually going forward they are really poor imo, they just aren't a smooth team. You can see that they are in transition and are way off the finished article. Defensively actually they have improved as the tournament has gone on.

Brazil are by far the closest to the real deal in the Copa this year.Same as last year's WC. They are just a tiny bit off being a top quality side. They are way ahead of Argentina, I'm not sure why anyone thinks that is a surprise. Is it because Messi is with Argentina? 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 3:10pm
Ive watched the vast majority of Copa America matches this year, Brazil being wasteful in front of goal is nothing new under Tite and has been a trend for large parts of his tenure. Switzerland, Costa Rica and Belgium at the world cup last year, Venezuela and Paraguay at the Copa America prime examples.

Playing with two holding midfielders against perceived minnows at home hampers their attacking threat imo. (Peru game aside)

Re Argentina offensively, since Martinez has come into the team they have looked more dangerous. Messi dropping back so deep into his sides own half against Colombia was a big warning sign that something needed to change and Scoloni has done to his credit.

Reaching the semi finals will probably be seen as "ok" in the Argentine publics eyes.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Brazil arent a superior team either?

Edited by Green Devil - 30 Jun 2019 at 3:16pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 3:32pm
I'm not saying they are superior though. I'm saying that Brazil are far far superior to Argentina. I think that's where we are all in a wee bit of disagreement.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 12:49am
Leo Messi out tonight
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 1:10am
Originally posted by Gerry Geary Gerry Geary wrote:

Leo Messi out tonight
I can’t find that anywhere online. Everywhere has him listed as playing.

I’ve money on Argentina to progress tonight.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic