You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Connor Ronan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 20>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 10:22am
Ronan has shown courage with his loan spells and he showed raw talent for our underage teams.
I always thought he was very light of stature, even when he was 21 in the 21's and playing younger lads.
Even then, his quick feet and football brain worked well and made up for his lack of brawn.

Now he looks more physical and is showing that the various loan spells have done him good in preparing him for senior football.
I don't know if he will press on further from where he is now but the signs are good that he can follow McGrath to better pastures (assuming Wigan are in the Championship next season).

I've been a fan since his 21's campaign under Kenny and hope to see him in or around the seniors soon, and this run of form is coinciding very nicely with our upcoming freindly window.

Edited by Fozz - 10 Feb 2022 at 12:35pm
Sponsored Links

10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 10:26am
Yeah he is a good player who is still improving..should defo be in the squad for the March games. 
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 11:06am
needs to be in the next squad at very least
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 12:32pm
Jonny Hayes earned a move to Celtic off the back of his performances for an Aberdeen side that regularly reached Europe after failing to make the grade in England. He was heavily criticised for his Ireland performances (I didn't even think he was that bad).

Ronan might turn out good enough, he might not. Just temper the hype a bit. I see lads criticising Wolves for not giving him a chance and mismanaging his career. This is his first decent loan spell in Britain after getting into his stride in a league comparable to the LoI (Slovakian league) and the Swiss second division! 

Jack Taylor is another lad who people were saying is a cert for the March squads since Peterborough achieved promotion. He's struggled a lot since making the step up.

You don't even have to look outside the squad for examples of why you should reserve excitement. Jamie McGrath played at the same level as Ronan before making the required steps up. I think he's been excellent for us so far but now you have lads questioning him and saying that Ronan should supplant him in the side!

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 10 Feb 2022 at 12:33pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Ronan has shown courage with his loan spells and he showed raw talent for our underage teams.
I always thought he was very light of stature, even when he was 21 in the 21's and playing younger lads.
Even then, his quick feet and football brain worked well and made up for his lack of brawn.

Now he looks more physical and is showing that the various loan spells have done him good in preparing him for senior football.
I don't know if he wil press on further from where he is now but the signs are good that he can follow McGrath to better pastures (assuming Wigan are in the Championship next season).

I've been a fan since his 21's campaign under Kenny and hope to see him in or around the seniors soon, and this run of form is coinciding very nicely with our upcoming freindly window.

Yeah of that U21s team Ronan was probably the player I most wanted to see push on and break his way into the senior squad. Had the attributes we lacked when it came to midfielders. The way we're set up now might suit him to a tee playing in that two behind the striker.

Could see him with someone like MK Dons next season, especially if they don't get promoted. They'll need to replace Scott Twine if he leaves and Ronan could suit the way they try to play. Fans have even said 4-2-3-1 would be their best formation but play three at the back atm as they've three in form CBs.

Ronan would even provide that ball playing midfielder in that double pivot if played deeper. Could see him back at Grasshopper given the links with Wolves.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Jonny Hayes earned a move to Celtic off the back of his performances for an Aberdeen side that regularly reached Europe after failing to make the grade in England. He was heavily criticised for his Ireland performances (I didn't even think he was that bad).

Ronan might turn out good enough, he might not. Just temper the hype a bit. I see lads criticising Wolves for not giving him a chance and mismanaging his career. This is his first decent loan spell in Britain after getting into his stride in a league comparable to the LoI (Slovakian league) and the Swiss second division! 

Jack Taylor is another lad who people were saying is a cert for the March squads since Peterborough achieved promotion. He's struggled a lot since making the step up.

You don't even have to look outside the squad for examples of why you should reserve excitement. Jamie McGrath played at the same level as Ronan before making the required steps up. I think he's been excellent for us so far but now you have lads questioning him and saying that Ronan should supplant him in the side!

Suggesting he should be in the squad is not hype. He has been a good performer for Ireland through all the age groups & Kenny is a fan. He is now playing regularly & beginning to fulfill his potential. No harm giving him 30 mins against Lithuania to see how he goes. Nobody said anything about him supplanting McGrath in the side so don't know where that came from. Can't see why the two could not play together in the future if needed as they have at St. Mirren on occasion. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 3:09pm

Has anyone said Ronan should be in the team ahead of McGrath or are you making stuff up again?

Could well be room in the squad for both players for the games in March.

Edited by BrendanD88 - 10 Feb 2022 at 3:10pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Has anyone said Ronan should be in the team ahead of McGrath or are you making stuff up again?

I've seen people infer that, Blandan. Why else would I have said it?

Two on the previous page if you aren't too lazy to have a look.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 10 Feb 2022 at 3:41pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Suggesting he should be in the squad is not hype. He has been a good performer for Ireland through all the age groups & Kenny is a fan. He is now playing regularly & beginning to fulfill his potential. No harm giving him 30 mins against Lithuania to see how he goes. Nobody said anything about him supplanting McGrath in the side so don't know where that came from. Can't see why the two could not play together in the future if needed as they have at St. Mirren on occasion. 

There are people saying he should be thrown straight into the team. Same as Taylor, Smallbone, Ebosele, Kilkenny, Coventry... Basically anyone who's fit and/or showing form for a couple of matches. I've read in other places people questioning why Wolves aren't giving him a chance in the PL despite a couple of underwhelming loan spells in England!

Knight, Browne, McGrath, Hendrick, Hourihane all showing form at intl and club level (Hourihane getting back to his best at a SU team chasing promotion). Cullen and Molumby options as well, though Cullen is obviously a DM. Depending on the system, Ogbene, Robinson, Parrott, Keane and Idah could play the position where he'd be best situated as well. Aforementioned Jack Taylor is also in the mix. Point being, we're not that lacking in options.

I'm not even completely against him being in the next squad but I think people are apt to get carried away about whoever's not in the squad at any given moment.

As I said, a few months ago it was Taylor, Kilkenny and Coventry, and now the calls for them are understandably less deafening.

Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if Kenny has taken a liking to McGrath and chooses Taylor for the next squad instead because he's slightly more well-rounded.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 10 Feb 2022 at 4:09pm
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 3:58pm
Blandan LOL
It would damage this forums' reputation
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 4:08pm

Not one person said he should be in the team, people mentioned he should be in the squad! Compulsive liar.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 4:12pm

Jaysus, where do you get your sh*te from?
The two I assume you are referring to are:

Scores his 4th goal of the season.
Could be an outside bet for a callup in March, in better form than McGrath at St Mirren.
and
Cracking goal. Think he is a much better player than McGrath just had a bizarre career path would like to see him get a call up.

Neither say he should be in the team ahead of McGrath.
One says he is in better form than McGrath (which he currently is), and the other says he's a better player, which is an opinion and again, is not a call to name him in any team ahead of McGrath.

There's plenty to debate and argue on here, but resorting to making stuff up to then debate back against is uncalled for.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Jaysus, where do you get your sh*te from?
The two I assume you are referring to are:

Scores his 4th goal of the season.
Could be an outside bet for a callup in March, in better form than McGrath at St Mirren.
and
Cracking goal. Think he is a much better player than McGrath just had a bizarre career path would like to see him get a call up.

Neither say he should be in the team ahead of McGrath.
One says he is in better form than McGrath (which he currently is), and the other says he's a better player, which is an opinion and again, is not a call to name him in any team ahead of McGrath.

There's plenty to debate and argue on here, but resorting to making stuff up to then debate back against is uncalled for.

Team/Squad. Figure of speech. People saying he's a cert for the squad in March with a view to being auditioned against Lithuania. When there's a finite amount of space for midfield players in a squad, who would you suggest dropping? McGrath, Knight and Browne have done nothing wrong. Hourihane is an established first teamer for a team in the Championship playoff positions. Hendrick's been fantastic under Kenny and got his move. Taylor has been namechecked by Kenny and featured in extended squads. Molumby's playing at a higher level and is due a run in the first team again due to Livermore's suspension. I outlined why I don't see it. Have people now decided against trying Will Keane in the #10 position having been (mostly) in favour of that? People's opinions fluctuate so much there's no point debating about this until March. At which point Taylor might score a worldie for Peterborough or Kilkenny will get back in for Bournemouth again.

As for Ronan's form being class and better than McGrath's. That's conjecture. I doubt people here actually watch full St. Mirren matches. They just see the clips of his goals and decide that he's a world-beater. The same thing happened this time last year with McGrath and now people have cooled on him and decided the penalties padded his stats.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 10 Feb 2022 at 4:24pm
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 4:26pm

Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

There are people saying he should be thrown straight into the team. Same as Taylor, Smallbone, Ebosele, Kilkenny, Coventry... Basically anyone who's fit and/or showing form for a couple of matches. I've read in other places people questioning why Wolves aren't giving him a chance in the PL despite a couple of underwhelming loan spells in England!

Knight, Browne, McGrath, Hendrick, Hourihane all showing form at intl and club level (Hourihane getting back to his best at a SU team chasing promotion). Cullen and Molumby options as well, though Cullen is obviously a DM. Depending on the system, Ogbene, Robinson, Parrott and Idah could play the position where he'd be best situated as well. Aforementioned Jack Taylor is also in the mix. Point being, we're not that lacking in options.

I'm not even completely against him being in the next squad but I think people are apt to get carried away about whoever's not in the squad at any given moment.

As I said, a few months ago it was Taylor, Kilkenny and Coventry, and now the calls for them are understandably less deafening.

Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if Kenny has taken a liking to McGrath and chooses Taylor for the next squad instead because he's slightly more well-rounded.

You're the one throwing out all them names..of all the players you have mentioned he is probably technically the best. He is also a natural "10" who can play other positions behind the striker.  In the 10 position he is good with back to goal, is composed on the ball & is good at finding space between the lines..not sure you can say that about the rest bar McGrath maybe. Although we are not playing with a 10 at the moment he offers something different so is worth a spin in March IMO.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 4:31pm
Connor Ronan is technically better than all the current midfielders. His form aside he should be included on the basis that we literally have nobody in his position (bar unproven Jack byrne)

We have far too many like-for-like midfielders. I just think it's a no-brainer to have somebody sitting on the bench who fundamentally changes how we would play. Especially against sides that are hard to break down. 
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 4:33pm
I'm delighted to see Ronan doing well after some brave and successful loan moves abroad.  

He's always stood out, but glad to see he's bulked up a bit, as the fear is he'd be too light-weight (literally) for senior football. Not seeing that as a problem now.  Would posters agree that he's the closest thing to Wessi that we have?  

Funnily enough, with Wessi, I believe there was a perception (by Trap and MON and maybe others) that he was "light-weight" and would not get in his fair share of tackles and win back possession.  However, if you watched him, although he wasn't one for crunching tackles, he used to win back possession a lot - either in tackles or interceptions - as he was quick over a few yards.  

A case of the perception not meeting the reality, and I think his number of selections suffered because of that view.  

Edit: I think Trap and MON's trepidation may have been not that he didn't win the ball back, but rather that he'd get knocked off it easily - which I remember happening in bigger games that he started.  He was often better coming on when the opposition were a little tired and there was more space for him to do his stuff. 

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 10 Feb 2022 at 4:42pm
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

I'm delighted to see Ronan doing well after some brave and successful loan moves abroad.  

He's always stood out, but glad to see he's bulked up a bit, as the fear is he'd be too light-weight (literally) for senior football. Not seeing that as a problem now.  Would posters agree that he's the closest thing to Wessi that we have?  

Funnily enough, with Wessi, I believe there was a perception (by Trap and MON and maybe others) that he was "light-weight" and would not get in his fair share of tackles and win back possession.  However, if you watched him, although he wasn't one for crunching tackles, he used to win back possession a lot - either in tackles or interceptions - as he was quick over a few yards.  

A case of the perception not meeting the reality, and I think his number of selections suffered because of that view.  

Yeah has a bit to go but would agree. His goal last Saturday came from pressing the defender, winning the ball & scoring. A no brainier for him to be included in the next squad for me too.

Edited by 10 Box - 10 Feb 2022 at 4:44pm
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 5:27pm
HH is right though, so many players have a clamour to be included in squads on the back of a few good performances,

Maybe a better way is name who you would drop from the squad that Ronan would replace? 
It would damage this forums' reputation
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 20>
  Share Topic