You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Connor Ronan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 20>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by gally gally wrote:

any idea about Joe Hodge?

Might make the bench due to lack of squad depth but Luke Cundle is the most likely of our u23 midfielders to get minutes. I think the club rates him but we already have several diminutive technical midfielders so he needs to get past a few before he's in real contention. Still very young, Might need a loan in January maybe.
Sponsored Links

SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by gally gally wrote:

any idea about Joe Hodge?

More than likely he'll spend the season playing U23s and training with the seniors. Would be sixth choice CM there atm.

Yeah it probably goes Neves, Moutinho, Dendoncker, * Ronan, Cundle and either Hodge or Harvey Griffiths who we also got from Man City. I do expect another hopefully from a Wolves fan perspective thats a guaranteed starter to compliment Neves.

* if we wanted a 3 in midfield might play gibbs-white on a deeper role in an emergency as we have more options up for the 'winger' positions.

Edited by SC92 - 05 Aug 2022 at 3:22pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 3:34pm
Coventry, Odubeko, Okoflex and Ferguson must have made the bench a combined total of at least 50 times over the last two seasons and Ferguson's 20 minute cameo in one game is the only meaningful game time any of them has had in the PL.

I wouldn't read into it if Ronan regularly makes the bench for Wolves. If he gets game time, great, but making up space on the bench hasn't translated into tangible progress for our other young players.

Coventry likely to make the bench for West Ham tomorrow BTW.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 3:43pm
Will Ferry is another that made the Southampton bench a load of times without ever getting on. But he might not make the Southampton squad this year. Hopefully with five subs being confirmed as a permanent thing now there might be more opportunities to get some of these lads on the field.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Coventry, Odubeko, Okoflex and Ferguson must have made the bench a combined total of at least 50 times over the last two seasons and Ferguson's 20 minute cameo in one game is the only meaningful game time any of them has had in the PL.

I wouldn't read into it if Ronan regularly makes the bench for Wolves. If he gets game time, great, but making up space on the bench hasn't translated into tangible progress for our other young players.

Coventry likely to make the bench for West Ham tomorrow BTW.

They were all underage players though that didn't have to be registered as part of their clubs 25 man squad lists for the season, thats the difference.

If Ronan and Coventry are to be named on the bench now they have to be part of the 25 which is a good indication they are at least now considered a tangible back ups / squad players at a minimum.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Will Ferry is another that made the Southampton bench a load of times without ever getting on. But he might not make the Southampton squad this year. Hopefully with five subs being confirmed as a permanent thing now there might be more opportunities to get some of these lads on the field.

I liked the look of young Ferry on the couple of occasions I have seen him play - maybe not robust enough defensively, but he looked to have a bit about him on the ball. I was surprised Crawford seemed to dispense with him early on in the U21 campaign. I doubt if he will get much of a look in at Southampton, but I wouldnt write him off from an Ireland perspective. Appeared to do ok on his first foray into mens football with Crawley last year.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I liked the look of young Ferry on the couple of occasions I have seen him play - maybe not robust enough defensively, but he looked to have a bit about him on the ball. I was surprised Crawford seemed to dispense with him early on in the U21 campaign. I doubt if he will get much of a look in at Southampton, but I wouldnt write him off from an Ireland perspective. Appeared to do ok on his first foray into mens football with Crawley last year.

As for Ronan, he's 25 in March, so it's really make or break time for him - he stepped up last season scoring 8 in 29 for St. Mirren, but it's another big step up to PL level. His dimunitive stature doesnt work in his favour, but he is a tidy footballer and looked to develop an eye for goal last season. I'm not sure he will make it at PL level, and I think he is unlikely to get much game time at Wolves, but a good Championship loan would be another step up and put him in the picture for Ireland.
Idah Dream!
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 2:11pm
On the bench along with Hodge
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

On the bench along with Hodge

What about Podge and Rodge? 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 11:59pm
Wolves splashing the cash on Matheus Nunes. With Moutinho injured Lage will probably still keep Ronan around unless they get a decent offer for him or Moutinho is back soon.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 1:12pm
Shame.  Similar situation to Coventry at present. 

Ronan's clearly ready for first-team football, but won't get that regularly at Wolves.

For his development it would be ideal to see him go to a Championship club or back to Jim Goodwin (and Jamie McGrath), this time at a bigger club in Aberdeen.  
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 2:00pm
The chap's 25 on his next birthday. He should cut his losses with Wolves and start playing games,
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The chap's 25 on his next birthday. He should cut his losses with Wolves and start playing games,

In fairness, over the last three seasons, that's exactly what he has done, in Slovakia, Switzerland and Scotland.
He's now back with the Wolves 1st team looking unlikely to get any gametime, but there's plenty of time left in the transfer window to get a move if the Wolves situation doesn't look like it will improve.

I'd like to see him try tough it out in the Championship.
A very high level, physically demanding, and lots of other Irish interest there so would get to see a fair bit of him.
If he could make an impression there, I'd be confident he could do the same for our senior team in a position we are not graced with talent.

amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 5:41pm
woulda been interesting to see him get anything resembling a chance with wolves this year but with their new signing, he seems well down the pecking order. coventry at least has the prospect of west ham playing in the conference league for some game time, but ronan is older and already has played extensive first team football so it seems like its best for him and wolves that he moves on now and goes somewhere where he plays every week. whether thats championship, scotland, or elsewhere idk. agree with fozz's post above, would like to see him in championship, hes already done it in spfl and championship i think would be a better move for him at this stage, depending on the club of course
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 8:33am
he should stay where he is and fight for his place.wolves squad isn't big and he is more than good enough to get 20 appearances or so this season.
Technical_method View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical_method Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

he should stay where he is and fight for his place.wolves squad isn't big and he is more than good enough to get 20 appearances or so this season.

They just spent £38 million on attacking midfielder Matheus Nunes...

He'll be nowhere near the first team 
Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

He really isn't. If he was, he would have broken in long ago and Wolves wouldn't have broken their transfer fee yesterday.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 3:35pm
Honestly thought he might have a chance when it looked like we wouldn't do much transfer business due to recent windows spending barely anything but Collins, Guedes and Nunes have put that myth to bed. Nottingham Forest helping out by pulling the "English tax" card with Gibbs-White and giving us an eywatering amount.

We still only have 4 senior midfielders in a 433 so chance to be 5th midfielder and still think from a wolves fan perspective he would be a good option if they don't dumbfound me and spend more money. But as an Irish fan I want him to get starting player level gametime. I think he is a cracking player that will work his way up the leagues eventually.

Edited by SC92 - 18 Aug 2022 at 3:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 20>
  Share Topic