Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Connor Ronan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 20>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 11:06am
All these players coming in means that the existing players miss out?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 11:07am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Yes, no other way around it.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 11:09am
Fantasy stuff.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 11:09am
Ronan and Kilkenny both need a call up. Showed some unreal quality so far and need to be blooded pronto.

Going to be pretty upset if Arter is in the next squad and these lads aren't.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 11:13am
Or maybe we can start naming squads with 40 players and 10 players on standby again so we can accommodate all the new cause célèbres?

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 28 Oct 2021 at 11:17am
skylarking View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skylarking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 11:19am
Heard Gerrard single him out for praise after the game, he seemed to be really impressed with Connor. Really looking forward to seeing him in the senior squad, hopefully alongside Kilkenny
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 11:47am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Don't think anyone is suggesting all these players get called up.
Just that they are in the next pool of players we can potentially look at.
And yes, of course, for every one we call in, we drop someone.

I'd say drop Arter for Kilkenny to start.
Taylor would be next and Hourihane can go to accomodate him.

I don't believe either of these changes would weaken our squad as both dropped lads were hardly getting minutes anyway.

Ronan would be next for me and we could look at dropping Horgan there.
Both himself and Taylor are a few years older than the rest and being 23/24 is a big difference in football terms to being 20.

So it's far from fantasy stuff to look at such changes at the periphery of the squad for the next window and we can look deeper again come March (Smallbone hopefully back fully fit and playing in the PL should then be considered ahead of Molumby or Browne).

Edited by Fozz - 28 Oct 2021 at 11:48am
Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Or maybe we can start naming squads with 40 players and 10 players on standby again so we can accommodate all the new cause célèbres?
Almost forgot that O'Neill used to do that. So annoying! Basically every fit Irish player was named in the initial squad and killed excitement for a squad announcement. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 12:06pm
Does a Smallbone on the periphery at Southampton justifiably get into the squad ahead of a Browne or Molumby playing regularly at Preston or West Brom? Smallbone and Molumby might end up switching divisions next season anyway the way things are going at their respective clubs - that's if Smallbone doesn't go out on loan, which may have been the original plan for him.

Whatever about Molumby's impact for us, Browne deserves a bit more credit for performances like the ones against Slovakia and Serbia. He adds the same kind of drive and impetus people think we miss and need.

A more pragmatic option off the bench than any of the uncapped, if he can continue his run of games at Preston to build up his fitness.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 28 Oct 2021 at 12:10pm
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 12:12pm
Worth noting that the 3-4-2-1 lends itself to more central midfield players, though they probably need to drift wide. Not unreasonable in the future for Hendrick and Cullen deep with Ronan and McGrath the two in front of them and Robinson up top. Not saying Ronan should start before the usual suspects jump down my throat but maybe he's as likely to get into a squad in the future before an Ogbene or Horgan as he is a Hourihane. 

Starting combinations are essential though. A Ronan and McGrath might be unnecessary. A McGrath and Ogbene might make more sense. 

Anyway, it's a bit more flexible is my point. Which means that lads need to start kicking on and sticking their heads above the parapet! 

Edited by Eoink21 - 28 Oct 2021 at 12:13pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 12:15pm
To be fair there are a few players that have been in recent squads but have question marks over their heads.

Arter - think hes getting some games now but struggled of late. A few on here confused by his inclusion especially as he's not exactly one for the future

Hourihane - in and around the ireland first team but in fairness doesn't look like improving the team vs some of the other players available.

Horgan - again in and around the first team but I would say there ate better options.

My point being that we are starting to see some competition for places now. Nice competiton for the goalkeeper spot. 

Centre back looks like some quality competition now with Collins, oshea and Omobamidele.

Number 6 - Cullen seems to be improving every game but looks like Kilkenny, and molumby might be getting close too 

Add in Ronan, mcgrath and Taylor to the mix..

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 12:15pm
Don't forget Mipo Odubeko, Eoink/O'Shea (get it?)

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 28 Oct 2021 at 12:16pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

To be fair there are a few players that have been in recent squads but have question marks over their heads.

Arter - think hes getting some games now but struggled of late. A few on here confused by his inclusion especially as he's not exactly one for the future

Hourihane - in and around the ireland first team but in fairness doesn't look like improving the team vs some of the other players available.

Horgan - again in and around the first team but I would say there ate better options.

My point being that we are starting to see some competition for places now. Nice competiton for the goalkeeper spot. 

Centre back looks like some quality competition now with Collins, oshea and Omobamidele.

Number 6 - Cullen seems to be improving every game but looks like Kilkenny, and molumby might be getting close too 

Add in Ronan, mcgrath and Taylor to the mix..

Callum O'Dowda hasn't been mentioned yet while we're waxing lyrical about every able-bodied Irish eligible player in their twenties playing in the top 3 divisions in England and top division in Scotland.

There's about ten players left for the midfield/AM including him even before you get rid of Hourihane, Arter and Horgan.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

He getting great reviews at moment, I believe he was excellent again last night.  Must be close to a call up. 

I think we'll see him in March for the friendlies and possibly again next June given the tight schedule at the end of the season. You'll have lads carrying knocks which might open up spots within the squad.

In the two behind the striker we've got a few there already but for me McGrath, Knight, and Browne would be competing for a spot to play alongside Robinson. We'll always need someone in there that can drop back into midfield to make it a trio.

Outside of those four our options are really lads that are better suited to playing out wide in Horgan and Ogbene. But he's also a fan of O'Dowda and Brady, could see both lads back in the squad come March playing in that two behind the striker.

If Ronan is fit come March he'd be foolish not to call up him for the squad. Already playing regularly at club level in a system we use and has a working partnership with Jamie McGrath which is a big positive. Hopefully like McGrath his all round game improves since his move to St Mirren.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 12:57pm
It's absolutely not fantasy to call for one of Taylor or Kilkenny to be included at Arters expense and Ronan who is the topic on this thread at Horgans expense with a view to the future but also short term. 

Hendrick/Cullen and potentially Robinson/McGrath will play in this respective positions against Portugal and Luxembourg with Knight slotting in for arguably any of them if one gets injured. 

It would be quite simply criminal to not have the first two in this squad over Arter. I wouldn't go quite that far regarding having Ronan ahead of Horgan although again Horgan is not good enough. Ronan was exceptional Sunday and reports are great from last night too. 

Already caught plenty attention I suspect like McGrath he will attract interest in the summer if continues his trajectory. can the Irish lads going to Celtic start going to St Mirren instead.

Edited by kevin100 - 28 Oct 2021 at 12:58pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 1:44pm
Arter has only been in squads when others were unavailable. Apart from the training camp he wasn't called into any squads between September 2020 and September 2021. Only came in last month because Browne and Knight were unavailable.

Similar this month he came in when Browne and Molumby were unavailable. He's not a squad regular. And the way Hourihane is going at club level his position in the squad should be similar to Arter. Called up when we're missing players.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 12:48pm
Seems to be back training with Wolves at the moment, would it be typical to return to your parent club to train over the international break? 
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Seems to be back training with Wolves at the moment, would it be typical to return to your parent club to train over the international break? 

Where are you seeing this   ?
I don't think it would be typical, no.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 20>
  Share Topic