You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Connor Ronan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 7:38pm
Is back from injury and has come off the bench today to make his debut for his new club.
Onwards and upwards I hope.
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 12:31pm
Has returned to Wolves after breaking his metatarsal bone, and looking at four to five months out.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 12:39pm
Standard for young Irish players...surprised it took him so long to get into the injury-groove!

Shame thought as he was getting regular games.
Hopefully he recovers fast (didn't think a metatarsel was 4-5 months?) and can get going somewhere better than Swiss Div 2 next season.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 12:45pm
Slovakian 1st division, Swiss 2nd division, little impression made at several clubs down the divisions in England.

He's 23 years old. He'd want to kick on if he's going to achieve what Irish fans thought him capable of.

Comparisons to late starters like Wes could be made. But Wes pretty much hit the ground running straight away when he did move to England. So not totally valid.

I'm not losing sleep anyway. He'd be England's if he was tearing it up at Wolves.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Slovakian 1st division, Swiss 2nd division, little impression made at several clubs down the divisions in England.

He's 23 years old. He'd want to kick on if he's going to achieve what Irish fans thought him capable of.

Comparisons to late starters like Wes could be made. But Wes pretty much hit the ground running straight away when he did move to England. So not totally valid.

I'm not losing sleep anyway. He'd be England's if he was tearing it up at Wolves.

Wes didn’t even hit the ground running at Norwich. Still hoping he’ll be a late developer, Wolves evidently hoping the same. He’s nowhere near our squad right now though.

5 months is a long time for a metatarsal, no?
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Standard for young Irish players...surprised it took him so long to get into the injury-groove!

Shame thought as he was getting regular games.
Hopefully he recovers fast (didn't think a metatarsel was 4-5 months?) and can get going somewhere better than Swiss Div 2 next season.

Given Wolves links with Grasshoppers he'll more than likely be back over again once fit. Seyi Olofinjana who looked after players out on loan from Wolves is Grasshoppers new sporting director.

So hopefully they finish first but their form lately could see them finish second and into the promotion-relegation playoff.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 1:49pm
I've only seen hi play for the u21s and by and large I didn't really think he was that great. 

As said, at 23 you get a clearer picture as to where players are and he's likely going to be released at Wolves.

I would say league1 could be his level but I'd be very happy to be proved wrong.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 4:32pm
Wolves have given him a long contract - he still has another three full years on it which takes him to 26 - so they're giving him every chance. But at the same time it is noticeable that he is 23 now and hasn't made huge progress. He has seemed to do reasonably well in each of his loan spells, including the one at Blackpool in League 1 last year, but he has never really stood out enough to make you think he'll make it at Wolves.

I think he'll have a decent enough career and maybe win a few caps, but there's little so far to suggest that he'll ever be an important player for us.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 10:52pm
Out for up to 5 months; has returned to Wolves for treatment.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 12:23am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Out for up to 5 months; has returned to Wolves for treatment.

Terrible luck.

Grasshopper won the Swiss 2nd Div tonight in his absence.

Wouldnt be the worst move to see him go back there next season in the top flight.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 1:58pm
He was a mainstay of the Grasshoppers team that got promoted as champions to the Swiss premier league.

Had he stayed, and but for his injury, you might expect him to have continued in that role for Grasshoppers this season in their Premier League - not a bad standard, given results in Europe and a smattering of their players at Euro 2020 and throughout other national squads. 

Any time he played for Kenny's U21s a couple of years back, you could see his quality.

He should get over the metatarsal injury soon enough and hopefully get a loan back to Grasshoppers or similar.  

His future may not lie immediately in the PL with Wolves.  However, that's unsurprising given how difficult it is for young players to break through now.  A better model is Josh Cullen going to Anderlecht before being seriously considered as an Ireland regular. 

I'd be hopeful of Ronan continuing in the same vein when he's over his injury, and becoming a senior international in the next few years - in a position where we badly need players.  
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 2:33pm
Well in fairness to him he has shown he is not afraid of going further afield to further his career having now spent time in Slovakia and Switzerland. As you said, he is the presice kind of player we could do with and Kenny seemed to be a big fan. He is 23 now, could do with getting a permanent move somewhere and kicking on a level if he has ambitions of playing for the senior team, I can't imagine he will be hanging around to play u23s football with Wolves. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 9:31pm
Has signed for St. Mirren on loan.

Is he the contingency plan Jim Goodwin was referring to when discussing the possible sale of Jamie McGrath?
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 9:31pm
wow he needs to get away from wolves
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

wow he needs to get away from wolves

He did.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 9:59pm
Hmmm...plays the exact same position as McGrath, right?
We expecting a move there so before tomorrow night?

Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 10:02pm

Have you considered detective as a career   ?
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Have you considered detective as a career   ?

Not before now but you may be onto something!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
  Share Topic