You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Perspective needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by The Tribesman The Tribesman wrote:

In theory as a 5 team group goal difference could count, which would take into account The Gibraltar Scorelines!

For sure, but we don't really have form for hammering the small teams, not for the last 10 years at least. That doesn't make us a bad side though.
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I think the concern is that we hardly ever play well. When was the last time we played well? Euro 2016? 
I really don’t think we can get to 16 points playing badly and it is hard to have  hope based solely on our resilience.

We played well against Georgia, but then again they're poor

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I think the concern is that we hardly ever play well. When was the last time we played well? Euro 2016? 
I really don’t think we can get to 16 points playing badly and it is hard to have  hope based solely on our resilience.

We played well against Georgia, but then again they're poor

Comparatively. It was obviously an improvement on the end of MON's tenure and even a few days before, but it wasn't anything more than an improvement. 
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 4:20pm
didn’t meet anyone leaving the stadiums in Vienna or Cardiff complaining. We will know where we stand after the next three games and that is all that matters as well as 10 points on the board.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 4:32pm
10 points I think most people will agree is what we hoped and expected to have after Monday night. For goal difference & confidence Would we have liked to score 4 home & away v Gibraltar of course.

The big tests of course are coming with Swiss X 2 , Danes at home & Georgia away. 3 months till next fixtures. Players will have had holidays, pre season, maybe move clubs, hit form, go out of form, be injured etc so I don't think Monday nights performance will have any bearing when we play Switzerland.

It's a group of two halves almost and it's a bit like qualification form being different from tournament form. But with regards to a bit of historical perspective on past results against what some might view as lesser teams see below.

We don't always play well or batter "weaker" sides by loads of goals in our group yet we can still qualify and go on to have a good tournament.

WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 9:44pm

I would say our team has two modes: passive and aggressive.  Passive can get results, but is dire to watch. Aggressive is a more risky approach, but is far more entertaining.

We have to beat either Switzerland or Denmark at home. Two draws will be no good to us.

Realistically that means we have to be aggressive. With our poor goal-scoring record, we have to create multiple chances just to get a goal. And that means that we will give up some chances too.

Even if our best hope for a goal is a set-piece. We still have to take risks to get up the field to put pressure on the opposition and force free-kicks or corners.

So the games may not be pretty, but they should be entertaining and filled with tension. Especially if we take the lead. 

The recent match against Georgia was the perfect example of such a game.
eddiebro View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 10:26pm
Pre Euro 2012 Robbies Keanes famous last words “we’re not going to make up the numbers”, laughable. Micks second reign looks destined to fail, if we’re not going to get rid of the trap/MON hangovers and play more expensive. Blooding youngsters has been put on the long finger and Doherty on the bench. No other international team would have their best player on the bench. Even if we qualify based on this last weeks performances we’ll struggle to get a single decent performance at the euros. Wes’ cross for Robbie Brady and goal against Sweden in Euro 2016 were instrumental in getting us out of that group but we’ve since failed to find an alternative number 10 to fill that void. Immensely frustrating 
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 11:44am
yeh, terrible v lux in firt half .. boo'd off the pitch at half time, andorra one down and then got back played well hammered them... estonia away, played ok dunne scored
sometimes performances are remembered... its international games 8 per year not club games...40 per year
Come on Irelind
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic