You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Gibraltar match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 262728
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

No forward to play with McGoldrick. 
No midfielders with a pinch of quality to try and play through Gibrlatar
No place even as a sub for Doherty
Poor wingers
As always our defence is very solid, the one big bonus from Martin O'Neill 

I see lots of other players been mentioned, and Mick is still very early into his management so maybe he can get one or two of those players in and improve the team...but that seems hopeful really 

Also -
Bulid up was far too slow
No third man runs
No decoy runs to create space and drag opponents out of position
Not an iota of creativity or ingenuity from corners/set pieces
Rarely able to beat first man with crosses, at times we looked like a junior club playing for corners
I could go on but we all seen it

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sponsored Links

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 2:32pm
I think McGoldrick has done well for us, but playing with him as a lone striker is like playing a 4-6-0 formation. 

He drops back into midfield to collect the ball, usually laying it off to the wingers, he then doesn’t have the pace to get back into the box before the ball arrives. 

Obviously his lack of pace is a problem, but could McGoldrick start on the wing as an inverted attacking midfielder, with someone else up front? 

Kind of similar to how Braithwaite and Poulsen played for Denmark the other night.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 2:35pm
I would have thought Long would be suited to playing off McGoldrick in a 4-5-1 with Long advanced as a winger. Just he has that extra yard of pace.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I would have thought Long would be suited to playing off McGoldrick in a 4-5-1 with Long advanced as a winger. Just he has that extra yard of pace.

I’m only suggesting McGoldrick on the wing over Long because McGoldrick is a better passer of the ball and would be a better player in midfield in terms of maintaining possession. 

McGoldrick behind Long would be too much like a 4-4-2 for my liking. 
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 2:56pm
Very sloppy performance from the team, and it's a shame we couldn't get a few goals. But overall it's a pretty irrelevant game.

Gibraltar did nothing and we struggled against an 11 man defence. Fortunately that's the last time we will face such a tactic.

The problems that need to be addressed remain though. A lack of zest from the midfield, poor crossing, and a forward who can score.

And McCarthy's subs have been a bit strange. Doherty did okay away to Gibraltar, but was subbed and we haven't seen him since. Robinson was getting better as the game went on last night, but he too was subbed.

Brady is not the natural replacement for either of these players. Both of them looked more comfortable than him on the right. He's got a good left-foot. Put him out on the left or even midfield.

McClean works hard and has the pace for counter-attacking, but we didn't need those attributes last night. Putting in your best cross in the 93rd minute is not great.

Unfortunately, there's no room left now for experimentation. McCarthy obviously likes continuity, so 8 or 9 of the places in the team are set in stone. Got to hope that the players will repay Mick's faith in them.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I’m only suggesting McGoldrick on the wing over Long because McGoldrick is a better passer of the ball and would be a better player in midfield in terms of maintaining possession. 

McGoldrick behind Long would be too much like a 4-4-2 for my liking. 

I’d agree with that.

But I see McGoldrick as being a more mobile Darryl Murphy, and I think his all round game offers a little more.

Playing Murph up top made sense, but by the time we got to the Wales game he was too isolated, and we had seen that with Walters in the Austria game in Dublin. There needs to be some link.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 3:28pm

Given how poor our midfield were, what harm would it have been to give Josh Cullen a run? He is a neat and tidy passer of the ball. Surely he couldn't have played much worse than what was on offer. 
El Puto Amo
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Mikeire Mikeire wrote:

“Gibraltar have lost all 23 of their European Championships and World Cup qualifying matches, conceding 109. They have failed to score in their last seven.”

These guys are a poor team, I mean really poor.

WE BEAT THEM .......
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 6:55am
What was the attendence on Monday?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 7:08am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

I am pretty sure the commentary said 36k.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

I am pretty sure the commentary said 36k.

Thanks.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 8:38am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

A win, against Gibraltar at home, is the main thing?

No it isn't.  This is a country of 35k. A part time team.
Minimum requirement was far more goals and a far, far better performance. 
Nowhere near good enough. 

Country would be stretching it. A rock in the Med might be more accurate.

The performance was abysmal, and nothing was learned, except what we already know. Where was the wind? The planes? The plastic pitch? All the excuses why we could only beat the binmen and bus drivers by a solitary goal on the rock. Surely playing them in a proper stadium at home, in our conditions, would result in another 7-0 win and sanity restored.

Er, no. Late on, I counted the entire back 4 resolutely stuck in our own half, while we chased a more respectable scoreline. They were all "marking" one forward, who was probably more interested in whether he will make it home in time to start his next shift, than trying to nick an equaliser.

Beating Gibraltar is routine, not a cause for national celebration. A team of LOI First Division pub players would hockey them. The table atm is pretty irrelevant, given all the games in hand and 6 point bankers our main rivals still have to chalk up. If we get 10 points from the next 4 games, we can celebrate then. 

Edited by planning - 12 Jun 2019 at 8:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 262728
  Share Topic