Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Gibraltar match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 25262728>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:50am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

It's not a fact, it's your opinion.

He used his brain a lot tonight by playing the ball safely. We are also well aware of McCleans technical ability.

Against minows that’s not, nor should it be the brief of a winger. I’m honestly not sure what game you were watching HB, but if I was to conjoin all the compliments you’ve paid McClean, he was by far the best player on the park, which is simply
Not the case.
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

He used his brain a lot tonight by playing the ball safely. We are also well aware of McCleans technical ability.

Against minows that’s not, nor should it be the brief of a winger. I’m honestly not sure what game you were watching HB, but if I was to conjoin all the compliments you’ve paid McClean, he was by far the best player on the park, which is simply
Not the case.

I don't think he was the best player on the park and I never said he was.

It definitely wasn't his best game and I don't think it was his worst either. Considering the opposition I'd expected him to be more of a threat, he wasn't, and nor was anyone else.

I don't think too many players came out with much credit, it was a very poor performance over all.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 10:01am
It was one of the worst games I've ever seen him play. The assist at the end probably saved it from being THE actual worst in an Irish jersey anyway
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 10:02am

Not the case.

One thing that annoys the sh*te out of me about McClean, and this probably applies as much to the midfield as it does to him, is why does he continuously receive the ball with his back to the sideline and the defender in front of him, resulting in him trying a step over and failing to get a cross in. All to predictable.

I can't remember the last time he tried to make an inside run behind the RB, or one of our midfielders attempting such a pass. Again, it's as much a criticism of how the team play as it is about individuals.

Also, we attempted far too many crosses in to the box considering neither of our strikers are renowned for their heading ability.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 10:10am

Not the case.

I don't think he was the best player on the park and I never said he was.

It definitely wasn't his best game and I don't think it was his worst either. Considering the opposition I'd expected him to be more of a threat, he wasn't, and nor was anyone else.

I don't think too many players came out with much credit, it was a very poor performance over all.

I never said you said that. I’d find it hard to pick many more disappointing, especially considering his campaign in the World Cup, and the high impact he has had in the past when sprung from the bench. Last night should be an attackers dream and I would think the Gibraltar RB has one of his more comfortable nights.

That said, totally agree that nobody was great.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 10:29am
Daniel Crowley or Jack Byrne need to be looked at now. This team is screaming out for a creative player as our threat from open play is non existent. 

Edited by JoxerDaly - 11 Jun 2019 at 10:29am
Green rebel View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 10:39am
That was rough last night lads,shame Judge was injured felt he would have given us something different last night,Micks subs were baffling,should have left Robinson on and put ODowda on for mc clean and went 3 at the back for the last 20 minutes and put Brady on for Stevens, Hogan looks poor ,cant remember Hourinhane or Hendricks having a shot from distance,surely its time for Browne to replace Hendricks,after watching the u21s I give Connolly and Ronan a call up to the senior squad to.

Edited by Green rebel - 11 Jun 2019 at 10:47am
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:22am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

In the grand scheme of things, whether we played well or not will have no bearing on how we play against Switzerland and Denmark. The missed opportunity from the 2 games against Gibraltar is obviously the goal difference. 

However, it is alarming that our players have next to no imagination or creativity when the onus is on them to attack. Our combination play is predictable, and it really only comes in the form of a one-two between Coleman and the RW. The return pass is often so wide and in to the corner that it is very difficult to do something with, even though we expect him to make something from nothing like his goal at home to Georgia (however fortunate), or his assist for Hoolahan in Paris.

Bizzare that Doherty didn't play any minutes in the 2 games. But there are unrealistic expectations about what he'll be able to produce, in a similar manner to Coleman, playing in a team as poor as ours. If anything, his stock has risen further after sitting on the bench for the last 2 games.

Agree with this. I dont think it will have any bearing on how we do in the group (unless it comes down to goal difference) and we didnt learn anything we dont already know - that we struggle to score goals.

In a more open game, hopefully we can create more.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:29am
As was completely evident from last night, we need a Crowley or Connor Ronan type in midfield. Someone who never once thinks: "I shouldn't be receiving the ball here". These are players who change games, especially a game like last night.

There's a wannky quote that says something to the effect of "everything you want is on the other side of fear"

Ireland embody that quote. If you live in fear, nothing's going to change.

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:37am

What's Wes up to these days?
El Puto Amo
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:49am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

What's Wes up to these days?

Trying to start up an Instagram career by the looks of things.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:57am
No massive surprises last night the sort of display we tend to give against the 'smalller' national teams.

But as Mick is keen to point out the bottom line is we've got ten points.

There will be lot of twists and turns ahead in this campaign no doubt.

Edited by Double Maxim - 11 Jun 2019 at 11:57am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:00pm
I had assumed it was long established that the one eternal struggle the Irish national team almost always has, no matter who the manager and personnel are, is breaking down a limited side that parks the bus. The good news is that given our current level it doesn't happen too often, but I feel like you could recycle so many of the comments on this thread for any number of our previous games vs the bottom seeds of a group. I can't recall a visiting side offering less of a threat than that Gibraltar side and I'm including the iteration of their team that we battered 7-0 a few years back! They had zero interest leaving their half and it worked pretty well for them for the most part.

Obviously not many positives to take from last night, or indeed any real learnings, but felt Robinson showed glimpses of what he's capable of. The Doherty situation is a little worrying at this stage though - either McCarthy purely sees him as a right back and nothing else, or perhaps there's a bit more to it that we're not privy to.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Daniel Crowley or Jack Byrne need to be looked at now. This team is screaming out for a creative player as our threat from open play is non existent. 

I agree that we are desperately crying out for a creative player, don't think Jack Byrne is good enough at the moment though. If he was on the pitch last night I don't think he would have significantly improved us. Crowley definitely worth a look but hard to see us testing him out in any of our remaining four games.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

I agree that we are desperately crying out for a creative player, don't think Jack Byrne is good enough at the moment though. If he was on the pitch last night I don't think he would have significantly improved us. Crowley definitely worth a look but hard to see us testing him out in any of our remaining four games.

Just came on here to post the exact opposite thought. I think Byrne’s movement and intelligence would have helped us through the middle yesterday and created opportunities and space out wide. 

Hendrick has all the movement and intelligence of a brick. His brick-like qualities are wasted on a team like Gibraltar who are not really interested in running into him.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Just came on here to post the exact opposite thought. I think Byrne’s movement and intelligence would have helped us through the middle yesterday and created opportunities and space out wide. 

Hendrick has all the movement and intelligence of a brick. His brick-like qualities are wasted on a team like Gibraltar who are not really interested in running into him.
I agree in theory, but what is the point in playing Byrne or Crowley just because it is Gibraltar when they might not be deemed good enough even for Georgia?
 The problem is more the mentality of the players themselves. No Irish player had the confidence and self-belief to get out of their comfort zone in a game it should have been easy to do so.

Duffy was afraid to step forward with the ball. Stevens, an attacking wing-back at his club, was afraid to cross the halfway line. Hourihane was the most disappointing, a talented player his doubts normally lay in his discipline and positioning, that was a game that he could have ran. Instead, he spent most of the game as a third central defender, because Duffy and Keogh were struggling without him. 
MON and Trap got battered for not having faith in the players, but Mick supposedly has and they showed they have little faith in themselves. Twice.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:14pm
No forward to play with McGoldrick. 
No midfielders with a pinch of quality to try and play through Gibrlatar
No place even as a sub for Doherty
Poor wingers
As always our defence is very solid, the one big bonus from Martin O'Neill 

I see lots of other players been mentioned, and Mick is still very early into his management so maybe he can get one or two of those players in and improve the team...but that seems hopeful really 

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

No forward to play with McGoldrick. 
No midfielders with a pinch of quality to try and play through Gibrlatar
No place even as a sub for Doherty
Poor wingers
As always our defence is very solid, the one big bonus from Martin O'Neill 

I see lots of other players been mentioned, and Mick is still very early into his management so maybe he can get one or two of those players in and improve the team...but that seems hopeful really 

Plus a couple of players who seem to be totally off form. Both Hendrick and McClean were atrocious.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 25262728>
  Share Topic