Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Gibraltar match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 28>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

The big plus is that the fixtures have fallen kindly for us so far. If this had been a June double header against Switz - Den, we could easily have come away with 0 points.
The big plus is the Swiss flag.
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:21pm
LOL
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Danes up 4-1

No surprise
Georgia are wank 

You've a serious hard on for anyone saying Georgia are a tricky game for us LOL I think you miss the bigger picture when people speak like that - it's just shows that we are at best barely clawing our way just above their level.

I expect Georgia to get a result against us in Tblisi. Actually I expect us not to win any of the remaining 4 games in the group. We won't miss out by a million miles with a few draws thrown in, but it's incredibly tough to see us getting the couple of wins from those 4 games I'd say we will need.

I'm sick and tired of beating this drum. We wasted 12 months and a huge amount of fixtures under MON to bed in new players. We then appointed McCarthy and it was an absolute certainty that there was going to be no real turnover of players. Another 12 plus months of nothingness by the end of it will be the result. Cannot believe how many were, and still are, massively in favour of him being our manager.

This. What I said earlier but got sneered at. Mick is O’Neill but with a bit of charm and the players like him. Same old same old.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:25pm

Danes up 4-1

No surprise
Georgia are wank 

You've a serious hard on for anyone saying Georgia are a tricky game for us LOL I think you miss the bigger picture when people speak like that - it's just shows that we are at best barely clawing our way just above their level.

I expect Georgia to get a result against us in Tblisi. Actually I expect us not to win any of the remaining 4 games in the group. We won't miss out by a million miles with a few draws thrown in, but it's incredibly tough to see us getting the couple of wins from those 4 games I'd say we will need.

I'm sick and tired of beating this drum. We wasted 12 months and a huge amount of fixtures under MON to bed in new players. We then appointed McCarthy and it was an absolute certainty that there was going to be no real turnover of players. Another 12 plus months of nothingness by the end of it will be the result. Cannot believe how many were, and still are, massively in favour of him being our manager.

In fact, since 2017, there has been a massive turnover of players. When you think that since the 5-1 we have seen the retirements of Murph, Wes, Wardy and Walters, serious injuries to Brady and McCarthy, the omission of Christie and Arter, the decline of Meyler, and the defection of Rice, McCarthy has had to do a serious amount of remedial work in a quick period of time.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:28pm
Sure if Pep G had this squad we’d sweep the boards
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

State of the over reaction on here.

mmm

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Only thing that was obvious after this game is that McClean should never play for us again. 

He is absolutely brutal. That isn’t an overreaction, it’s a fact.

Barring a major injury crisis he should not be starting in an important game again. 

He was terrible against Denmark, but even worse tonight. Some of the Gibraltar players have better footballing brains and technique than him. 
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:34pm
we'll beat Georgia, get 3 brave draws in the rest and go out on goal difference

really frustrating that we aren't more ambitious

Would love to be like Wales. Fair enough they lose a couple games here and there but they are exciting to watch, have a go and blood new players. 
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:38pm
We were sh*te tonight against a pub side that put 10 in the box for most of the game. We struggle to create chances and score goals, we knew that before kickoff. No great sweeping conclusions to draw, none of the rest of the games will be like that. 
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Would love to be like Wales. Fair enough they lose a couple games here and there but they are exciting to watch, have a go and blood new players. 

In fairness, Wales have players at Real Madrid, Juventus, Manchester United, Spurs, Schalke and Anderlecht. Not to mention the likes of David Brooks who is a £13 million player, Joe Allen and Ampadu.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

In fairness, Wales have players at Real Madrid, Juventus, Manchester United, Spurs, Schalke and Anderlecht. Not to mention the likes of David Brooks who is a £13 million player, Joe Allen and Ampadu.

I think Wales issue is their manager is a bit sh*te really. You'd fancy them under someone else. 
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Danes up 4-1

No surprise
Georgia are wank 

In fact, since 2017, there has been a massive turnover of players. When you think that since the 5-1 we have seen the retirements of Murph, Wes, Wardy and Walters, serious injuries to Brady and McCarthy, the omission of Christie and Arter, the decline of Meyler, and the defection of Rice, McCarthy has had to do a serious amount of remedial work in a quick period of time.

You are pointing to just plain natural wastage. Lads will retire. Lads will get injured. Who are the up and coming players that have replaced those guys? Glenn Whelan was retired but isn't anymore under McCarthy. It is severely depressing the short-sightedness of the management involved with Ireland. It was never going to be any other way though once McCarthy was appointed.

It won't be long until every one of us is wondering what the hell the whole point of the last 2 years of Irish games was about. Pure nothingness. No chance to succeed and not a single step forward taken that will stand to us for the foreseeable future in terms of developing players. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
The Tribesman View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:50pm
Would it have differed much under The Mon Regime?
He would never have started 3 strikers
Gibraltar would have had more possession
The scoreline would be similar, but even less attractively arrived @ 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:51pm
You can't blame McCarthy for that. His remit was to try and get us to the Euros, he is hardly going to start bringing lads through. If anybody has been short-sighted it is the FAI. 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:52pm
Was there ever a worse opposition keeper in Dublin?
I seem to remember a really poor Georgian Goalie here once.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by The Tribesman The Tribesman wrote:

Was there ever a worse opposition keeper in Dublin?
I seem to remember a really poor Georgian Goalie here once.

What was the point of their tactic to keep kicking it to the left wing?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:56pm
A lot of The Ole Ole brigade will go home happy.
However given that it was Gibraltar, the minimum metrics, I would expect would be a 3-0 victory with 2 of our strikers breaking their international ducks.
Tonight's 4 strikers still haven't scored in what now must be 20 caps collectively, which is absurd!
And tonight's loose passing was deplorable!
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

You can't blame McCarthy for that. His remit was to try and get us to the Euros, he is hardly going to start bringing lads through. If anybody has been short-sighted it is the FAI. 

If memory serves me right, both yourself and I were in the minority who wanted this campaign to be used strictly for blooding young players, implementing new tactics and a style of play while ignoring results to a point.

Thus far we've had one good performance (Georgia), an acceptable one only because we got a result as we were blessed to come away with a point imo (Denmark) and two mediocre ones in 4 games (Gibraltar home and away)

Our luck is going to run out sooner or later and these lucky results will finally dry up because it's been going on for the best part of 3 years now since after the Euro's when you really break down and look at how bad our performances have been.

Edited by Green Devil - 10 Jun 2019 at 11:58pm
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:58pm
The other 3nations will take 6 points off Gibraltar more handily!
Our top position in the group is hugely overblown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 28>
  Share Topic