Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Super duper monster transfers Summer 19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 9:47pm
It has got to the stage where every fee is mental. There hasn't  any logic to it at all for a while, but it is being chucked around like confetti now. 
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 10:49pm
Territorial.  From Ore wee country to YBIG on a free
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It has got to the stage where every fee is mental. There hasn't  any logic to it at all for a while, but it is being chucked around like confetti now. 

Its actually disgusting if you ask me. Gone into the realms of fantasy. 
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

If i could play devils advocate here - tbh i do think the fees in football have gone mad - but if not millions upon millions spent upon player fees, where does it go? There's more money in football than ever with crazy TV rights deals and so on, but if that money isn't being spent on buying players and improving teams, then where is it going otherwise? The FAI are a perfect example of money spent on anything but making club football better. Manchester United are, despite all the money they still have, getting bled by their owners to the tune of hundreds of millions. Im sure there are plenty of other examples but those are two teams i follow.

I think the biggest disgrace is that Premier League football remains at lots of clubs inaccessible to the working class football fan. That would be relatively such a small hit to the bank balance of a PL football club that they refuse to take, an affordable football experience for the fans without whom these big juggernaut clubs would never have got off the ground. Other than that though, proportionally the fact that increased money in football going to football related matters - while crazy fees arent something to be celebrated - is better than it being extracted off the pitch and football related matters, and going to Football Club Plc as a business for whatever they want that has nothing to do with football.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 03 Jul 2019 at 11:10pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 5:30am

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Rabiot rumoured to be going there too, surprised a big club want to take a chance on him considering his attitude problems.

Didnt they get him on a free? Hes a good player. Good move from juve i think.

Transfer fee or not, it just seems like his attitude is terrible and I doubt he'd be a positive addition to a dressing room that already has huge egos in it.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 12:18pm

True, Ayoze Perez gone to Leicester for 30m which was his buyout clause I'd imagine someone at Newcastle (Charnley) put that in thinking no one is crazy enough to pay 30m for a player 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 12:18pm

Define "mental".

And while you're at it, "logic".
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Define "mental".

Ahh FFS, here we go......
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Define "mental".

Image result for ah sh*t here we go again
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

If i could play devils advocate here...         ... but if not millions upon millions spent upon player fees, where does it go? There's more money in football than ever with crazy TV rights deals and so on, but if that money isn't being spent on buying players and improving teams, then where is it going otherwise?
Exactly.

I mean, are Spurs fans complaining because they've just smashed their transfer record by 50%? Or Arsenal fans applauding because their club refuses eg to pay Palace's asking fee for Zaha?

And away from the players, they've both spent well over a billion quid on their stadia between them, and each has top notch training facilities etc.

So subsidising admission prices excepted (see below), if they don't spend on player transfers and wages etc, then the huge profits each is making will only go back to the owners i.e. out of the game entirely.

On which point, you only have to browse AFTV to see how much Arsenal fans HATE Kroenke.

Manchester United are, despite all the money they still have, getting bled by their owners to the tune of hundreds of millions. Im sure there are plenty of other examples but those are two teams i follow.
You'll know better than me, but were MU fans that upset when the Glazers were taking serious money from the club, but also still leaving Ferguson enough to keep them successful?

I think not.  And if OGS (or some other manager) should eventually prove good enough to pull off the same trick, I don't imagine there'll be too many protests at OT either.

I think the biggest disgrace is that Premier League football remains at lots of clubs inaccessible to the working class football fan. That would be relatively such a small hit to the bank balance of a PL football club that they refuse to take, an affordable football experience for the fans without whom these big juggernaut clubs would never have got off the ground. Other than that though, proportionally the fact that increased money in football going to football related matters - while crazy fees arent something to be celebrated - is better than it being extracted off the pitch and football related matters, and going to Football Club Plc as a business for whatever they want that has nothing to do with football.
Instinctively I sympathise.

But when I think more about it, I'm not sure it's so clear cut. I mean, it would be ok if fans were refusing to pay the high admission prices and the stadia were half empty, but that's clearly not the case.

So that if PL clubs were to slash admission prices, it would only create a Touts Charter. And don't believe working class fans would be any less likely to tout their tickets to richer fans than middle class ones. If anything, they'd be more likely, since they'd appreciate the extra cash.

Of course, you could try to restrict these cheaper tickets to "traditional fans" (long-standing? local? working class?), but that would lead to "seat blocking", whereby new, younger fans couldn't hope to get tickets (or would have to use touts, as above).

Besides which, many of the middle-class fans who attend the likes of Spurs or Arsenal these days are the children or grandchildren of fans who were themselves solidly "working class".

Does that mean clubs should take tickets off fans, or double the price, when someone eg goes to university, or gets promoted to a white collar job, or moves out to leafy Hertfordshire for a bigger house and better schools?

And in any case, the traditional "working class" is shrinking all the time, esp in london and the South East:
https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2016/feb/26/uk-more-middle-class-than-working-class-2000-data

Edited by Territorial - 04 Jul 2019 at 12:55pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Define "mental".

Imagine being stuck in a room with Moleman and Terri. You’d leave with a new diagnosis of PTSD
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Joao Felix to Atletico for £113 mil done.

Now that's a super duper transfer. Now to google who Joao Felix is
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 1:04pm
was he the striker for Portugal in the Nations League Final games?
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Joao Felix to Atletico for £113 mil done.

Now that's a super duper transfer. Now to google who Joao Felix is

He looks a lovely player, bit like Kaka imo. Again though only 1 full season under his belt and I think that hat trick in the Europa Knockout stages coloured people's opinions. Actually think he could be a brilliant player, but going to Atletico doesn't make sense to me. He's not Simeones type of player. Unless Simeone is trying to tweak the way he sets up again.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 1:06pm

was he the striker for Portugal in the Nations League Final games?

He played in the semi final, was sh*te by all accounts as well
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 1:13pm
Ok so he wasn't the striker in the final against Holland.

fromreading about it there, I suppose in Atletico's defence they are selling a lot of players 
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 1:31pm

Ok so he wasn't the striker in the final against Holland.

fromreading about it there, I suppose in Atletico's defence they are selling a lot of players 

No, that was Guedes, who would normally play on the wing.

To be honest, I'm very surprised that Atletico have gone for Felix. According to some journos, Rodri left the club because he was told that Simeone wasn't going to change his style any time soon. Given how many forwards have flopped at the club since Simeone joined, it will be a big ask for this lad to fit in, although I suppose getting him young gives him time to adapt.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 2:11pm

If i could play devils advocate here - tbh i do think the fees in football have gone mad - but if not millions upon millions spent upon player fees, where does it go? There's more money in football than ever with crazy TV rights deals and so on, but if that money isn't being spent on buying players and improving teams, then where is it going otherwise? The FAI are a perfect example of money spent on anything but making club football better. Manchester United are, despite all the money they still have, getting bled by their owners to the tune of hundreds of millions. Im sure there are plenty of other examples but those are two teams i follow.

An alternative is a sustainability fund. If football clubs are being run on the basis of continued qualification for major tournaments, winning prizes, tv money, transfer windfalls and debt that is simply not a sustainable model. Leeds United learned that the hard way. The fact that there has even been talk about writing off transfer fees and letting players go for free shows how flippant teams can
potentially be with money.

Spurs have done their level best, but would there example be followed? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic