Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Super duper monster transfers Summer 19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Reports that Mohamed Salah has rejected £150m offers of a move to Juve and Real Madrid.

Will they increase the bid?
Why would LFC sell him (for any money)?

Why would he leave?

He was 27 two days ago, so surely has his best years ahead of him.

And LFC, already a top team/club, can realistically hope to improve even further, too, whereas both RM and Juve are playing catch-up.

That's a big call, given his form in the last two seasons
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Reports that Mohamed Salah has rejected £150m offers of a move to Juve and Real Madrid.

Why would he leave?

And LFC, already a top team/club, can realistically hope to improve even further, too, whereas both RM and Juve are playing catch-up.

Yeah, you're right, 75 goals in 111 games is a sure sign he's past it.

Sell him now - "No reasonable offer refused" LOL

Edited by Territorial - 17 Jun 2019 at 2:22pm
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 2:29pm

Why would he leave?

Baggio never said he was past it. The way I read it, it's odd to say his best years are ahead of him as it would take a lot to improve on his current form. Anyway, this 'story' is just paper bullsh*t
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 2:36pm
Exactly my point Huntys.

He's going to have some few years ahead of him to surpass his form of the last two seasons, if his best years are surely ahead of him.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Why would he leave?

Baggio never said he was past it. The way I read it, it's odd to say his best years are ahead of him as it would take a lot to improve on his current form. Anyway, this 'story' is just paper bullsh*t
Would you have said the same about eg Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Pirlo, Modric, Silva or Aguero when they reached 27, for instance?

Hazard is now 28 - Real Madrid not expecting him to reach a new level?

Kevin de Bruyne will be 28 in 10 days time. D'ya reckon City have seen the best of him, too?

Or VVD at L'pool - 28 in July - another one who cannot get any better?

And then there's just about every Italian defender whoever was... LOL
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 4:39pm
The bar for the lads you've listed above at 27 isn't as high as what Salah did. Salah scored 32 goals in a 38 game season lat year. Ronaldo, Henry, RVP at their prime didn't match that. I'd happily take a wager that he'll never beat that.

Getting a year older is not a guarantee that he's going to get better

The point is that he had such a freakish season 2 years ago that I don't think any of us can see him matching it. Obviously he could, but I don't think anyone would bank on it. 
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 4:42pm
What do those other players have to do with another individual? Do you want me to name a few players that have declined past 28 to counter your 'argument'? I see no reason why anyone should expect Salah to push on, and improve on his last 2 seasons. I would expect him to continue at a similar level, but improving shouldn't be expected.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

The bar for the lads you've listed above at 27 isn't as high as what Salah did. Salah scored 32 goals in a 38 game season lat year. Ronaldo, Henry, RVP at their prime didn't match that. I'd happily take a wager that he'll never beat that.

Getting a year older is not a guarantee that he's going to get better

The point is that he had such a freakish season 2 years ago that I don't think any of us can see him matching it. Obviously he could, but I don't think anyone would bank on it. 
Ah, you see, that's the issue.

If you look at MS during season 2017/18, his phenomenal goalscoring streak stands out. But that is only half the story. For while he may have scorted fewer goals personally in 2018/19, Liverpool as a whole scored more and were much stronger overall, with MS being intrumental, appearing in all 38 PL games (37 starts).

Compare that with RVN at Man U. His personal scoring record was phenomenal - 95 in 150 appearances. But that's only half his story, inc that only one of those was outside the penalty area! In other words, the team had to be built round him (to provide penalty box chances for him), so that the team became one-dimensional i.e. stop RVN and you stop MU. Which was why SAF got rid of him, and MU subsequently improved.

That is clearly not the case with MS. On the contrary, it is likely that the extra attention he now receives meant the rest of the attack got more space and opportunity last season. Which is why he and VVD are still the first two names on Klopp's teamsheet.

Anyhow, it is commonly accepted that (outfield) players don't usually reach their peak before 27 or 28.

And they don't usually start to decline again until they've passed 30.

Obviously there are exceptions both ways, but there is nothing in Salah's record, attitude, commitment or physical qualities to suggest that he'll buck the usual trend.

So that regardless of how many he actually scores in future, he can certainly continue to improve his overall value (imo).

Edited by Territorial - 17 Jun 2019 at 6:20pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 12:49pm
Dé ligt going to Juventus good move for him
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 5:46pm
Rabiot rumoured to be going there too, surprised a big club want to take a chance on him considering his attitude problems.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Rabiot rumoured to be going there too, surprised a big club want to take a chance on him considering his attitude problems.

Good player but yeah bit of a moany prick, but free transfer I suppose they can take a chance 
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 11:27am
Very quiet on the Super Duper level transfers. 

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 7:29pm
Joao Felix to Atletico for £113 mil done.

Queue the inevitable comments about how insane the fee is for a 19 year old.

The people with common sense will probably think he's a potential future star and they'll get their moneys worth if he does reach that
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 7:49pm
Only just over 20 games played for Benfica... Crazy money. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

The people with common sense will probably think he's a potential future star and they'll get their moneys worth if he does reach that

He’s not English and in the premier league so most wont bat an eyelid 
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

People will common sense LOL

Of course that is an insane fee, and a massive gamble by Atletico. Not one that I would be backing to pay off either.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Only just over 20 games played for Benfica... Crazy money. 

Were anyone else willing ro pay remotely anywhere close to that for him? Stupid money
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Didnt they get him on a free? Hes a good player. Good move from juve i think.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic