You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

European Elections 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:08am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

TD Maria Bailey (the lady who fell off a swing and is looking for €60,000 compensation) ran a 10km race, three weeks after her fall.
In a time of 54 minutes.

She has made an absolute bollix of herself bringing this to court.

Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:28am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Can anyone point me to an easy example of how PR STV works.
I used to think that all the No.1’s were counted, then all the ballot papers were put back in and all the No.2’s were counted, and so on.

They'll mix the ballot papers first before counting. 

Say you need 1000 to get elected and the first in the pool gets 1200 votes, they'll disregard the first 1000 and then distribute the #2s, if they're there, from the other 200. 

so some peoples votes are worth more than others and it relies on randomness. that doesn't seem right.

in above example (simplified) if FG got 1200 no 1's, and the 200 surplus has 200 GP no 2's, what about the 1000 ballots not selected that had IND as no 2, are they just disregarded
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:29am
Hermann Kelly (Farage's former CoS) on 0% in Dublin ClapClapClapClapClap

Edited by Denis Irwin - 25 May 2019 at 11:30am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:39am
Local elections exit poll has Aontu on 1% and Renua on 0%

These are the parties that the right-wing media have been telling us for years that there was a serious gap in the market for

How out of touch can they can be

Very, is the answer

Lovely stuff

A lot of left transfers to go around in Dublin

I think it will be 
1 Cuffe
2 Fitzgerald 
3 Daly
4 Boylan
5 Andrews

Edited by sid waddell - 25 May 2019 at 11:40am
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

I used to think that all the No.1’s were counted, then all the ballot papers were put back in and all the No.2’s were counted, and so on.

Say you need 1000 to get elected and the first in the pool gets 1200 votes, they'll disregard the first 1000 and then distribute the #2s, if they're there, from the other 200. 

so some peoples votes are worth more than others and it relies on randomness. that doesn't seem right.

in above example (simplified) if FG got 1200 no 1's, and the 200 surplus has 200 GP no 2's, what about the 1000 ballots not selected that had IND as no 2, are they just disregarded

Pretty much but the chance of mixing them and ending up like that are pretty much zero, should be broadly representative of the overall vote 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 2:23pm
Hopefully Andrews gets it. A full slate of europhiles.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

No thanks

Fianna Fail and Fine Gael sit with climate dinosaurs in the European Parliament

corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 3:48pm

Fianna Fail is Mayor Quimby.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

No thanks

FF are with ALDE. Not a dinosaur grouping at all.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 6:51pm

No thanks

Read Fintan O'Toole's article in last Saturday's Irish Times

They are
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 7:00pm

No thanks

They are

ALDE are not dinosaurs at all on the issue. I know that for a fact.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 7:20am

No thanks

They are

ALDE are not dinosaurs at all on the issue. I know that for a fact.

Some great bargains, never know what you'd find in that middle aisle 
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 12:28pm

Doing the local count and got this wrong, the votes are distributed pro rata as a percentage of the preferences.

So if someone got 1000 votes and surplus was 100, everyone would get 10% of their second preference votes added.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 10:23pm
Some result for the Greens. Just looking at 2nd pref tallies and Mchugh doesn’t seem to be transfer friendly in the West and will be a close call in the South. I think O Sullivan will shade it - and hope so as have her backed!
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 11:37pm
Interesting potential result in Dublin. There's a chance the final five could be:

Cuffe / FitzGerald / Andrews / Daly / Boylan

But this is interesting, because in that event, the four elected would be Cuffe, FitzGerald, Andrews and Daly, with Daly as the fourth, Brexit MEP.... despite the fact if it was a three seater, you'd expect Boylan's transfers to go disproportionately to Daly over Andrews, such that if it was a three seater, the result could be Cuffe, FitzGerald, Daly. I'm not sure they'll be that close but there is a chance that the way the electoral system works, that could be the result.

I'm not sure you can necessarily blame the Taoiseach for this or that it was designed to work in a way that favoured one party over the other; there were far too many moving parts and it seems it was designed to make the count easier rather than for any purpose nefarious.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 7:20am
Good to see the 200 tonnes of paper used by canvassers from the Green Party came to good use Clap
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 8:51am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I'm not sure you can necessarily blame the Taoiseach for this or that it was designed to work in a way that favoured one party over the other; there were far too many moving parts and it seems it was designed to make the count easier rather than for any purpose nefarious.
Politics if very scientific these days, they'd definitely have done the analysis and gone with the approach they thought gave them any advantage.
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 8:57am
what a f**ked up country we are for voting these green ****s! policies are absolute septic i.e carbon tax to increase from €10 per tonne to €30 per tonne etc etc. 20% of capital transport funding to go on cycling and walking. tell that to someone in rural ireland LOL

people have short memories also. wasn't even 10 years ago they f**ked this country up along with Fianna Scum and then all of a sudden all is forgiven. generation emigration my bollox 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic