You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luca Connell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 35>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Originally posted by eddiebro eddiebro wrote:

Anybody suggesting any of our second or third generation English born players wouldn’t be screaming god save the Queen if they were good enough are delusional. Cap Connell, he seems keen now, it’s within both our interest and his career now. The days of republican like loyalty are over, so outdated.

Are you sure? Callum O'Dowda, Aiden O'Brien, Ronan Curtis? 

Yea im with Gabrieleire on this . theirs plenty of players who wouldn't have a second thought about playing for anyone else. 
Sponsored Links

Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Anybody suggesting any of our second or third generation English born players wouldn’t be screaming god save the Queen if they were good enough are delusional. Cap Connell, he seems keen now, it’s within both our interest and his career now. The days of republican like loyalty are over, so outdated.

Are you sure? Callum O'Dowda, Aiden O'Brien, Ronan Curtis? 

Yea im with Gabrieleire on this . theirs plenty of players who wouldn't have a second thought about playing for anyone else. 

Thumbs Up

I can understand where people come from regarding some 2nd gen and 3rd, but to say all of them is ridiculous. Richard Keogh too is another one. 

Sean Maguire was born in Luton, anyone know how long he lived their for? I don't even consider him as a 2nd gen player for us. 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 8:43am
He should be nowhere near a senior cap lads. Capping him for the sake of it isn't the way to go
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 9:48am
Cap him to put the discussion to bed or this thread will be lighting up like a Christmas tree until September Dead
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 10:27am
I would cap Connell against Gib. At the moment we are the only country to have given him a taste of international football so its entirely legitimate to secure him for the future. If he turns out to be good enough for England then we will have got ourselves a really good player. If he turns out not to be then he is losing nothing.  If he ends up not being good enough for Ireland either, he will at least have a cap.  

One way or the other we can’t go through another grealish or rice saga. 

Edited by Ecumenical Matter - 29 May 2019 at 10:35am
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Ecumenical Matter Ecumenical Matter wrote:

I would cap Connell against Gib. At the moment we are the only country to have given him a taste of international football so its entirely legitimate to secure him for the future. If he turns out to be good enough for England then we will have got ourselves a really good player. If he turns out not to be then he is losing nothing.  If he ends up not being good enough for Ireland either, he will at least have a cap.  

One way or the other we can’t go through another grealish or rice saga. 

I have to agree with you. If Connell gets a big move during the summer, the speculation will gather pace that he might defect to England (irrespective of whether there is any truth in it).  The four competitive games in the autumn are going to be extremely challenging (Swiss at home, Georgia and Swiss away, and then the Danes at home).  There won't be much scope to cap him then. Why not take the pragmatic approach and cap him against Gibraltar and avoid the endless speculation that we endured in the cases of Grealish and Rice.
howieb View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 11:47am
Cap him end of.  Can't afford to keep losing these players . There will be no discussion after next week if we cap him . 
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 12:13pm
Bring him on for Cullen / Whelan vs Gibraltar, last 15/20 mins when the game is put to bed imo
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 12:21pm
Would be my way of looking at it.
Cap him in a game when the 3points are secured and safe
If he turns into a world beater great, if not, feck all lost

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 12:22pm
With his locks Ithink he would be foolish to take a cap.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

Except watering down the meaning of a cap 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Mikeire Mikeire wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

And what is the meaning of a cap Denis Irwin? 
The highest honour bestowed upon mortal man I suppose.

Every team has capped players once and then they disappear. 

A cap is a great achievement for a footballer and a chance to represent your country it’s not the holy grail 

Players should not be getting capped for the sake of it.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 12:43pm

I am not sure about that too much, I do think as fans we can get a bit precious about that. I just really don't like the idea of external factors deciding who is on the pitch for Ireland. 
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 12:47pm

That is it all in a nutshell. There are some people here who still think like this when in reality that stance is from a bygone era. Give Connell 5 mins against Gibraltar and we will have secured ourselves a decent player for the future. Strike while the iron is hot.
The only way is up
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

That is it all in a nutshell. There are some people here who still think like this when in reality that stance is from a bygone era. Give Connell 5 mins against Gibraltar and we will have secured ourselves a decent player for the future. Strike while the iron is hot.
Bollocks, I would be surprised if anybody thought that. The arguments against it, or for it,  certainly aren't based on some sort of deluded nationalism. Unless I have missed something.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 12:51pm

A cap is a great achievement for a footballer and a chance to represent your country it’s not the holy grail 

Why? Either we get precious over handing out caps against the very bottom teams or we try and proactively cap players to ensure success down the line. I'd much prefer the latter. Worked for Wales and the likes of Ampadu etc haven't devalued their caps at all. 

This is a lad who had been playing at a decent level too. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 1:08pm

Define "for the sake of it"?
We're decent enough..
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 1:51pm

This is the truth. That is why we may focus on Scottish/irish or welsh / irish or like the GK mcdemott from other places. THE RICE situation weaken US as a football NATION.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 35>
  Share Topic