You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luca Connell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 35>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 10:04pm
That win puts them six points behind Sheffield Wednesday in second, and eight behind Plymouth who are now first again.
Sponsored Links

84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 10:08pm
did anyone watch? any summary of his performance or his strongest attributes etc. 
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 10:25pm
Watched it, thought he was very good.
His press from the kick off at 1.0 forced the error for 2.0 immediately. 
Was on their set pieces & hit some lovely ones & his cross & the quality of it was key to the third goal to go 3.2 after being hauled back to 2.2 from 2.0 up. Good on the ball, composed & passed well. Got stuck in too, it was a physical game & he didn't hide from that side of it. Chased a defender the length of the pitch to press him back to the keeper & then pressed the keeper & was back in his deep midfield position before they could get up the field. Barnsley made five changes but he was never coming off. 
It's L1 but he could do no more.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Was on their set pieces & hit some lovely ones & his cross & the quality of it was key to the third goal to go 3.2 after being hauled back to 2.2 from 2.0 up. Good on the ball, composed & passed well. Got stuck in too, it was a physical game & he didn't hide from that side of it. Chased a defender the length of the pitch to press him back to the keeper & then pressed the keeper & was back in his deep midfield position before they could get up the field. Barnsley made five changes but he was never coming off. 

That sounds like he proper stood out. Didn’t watch the game but praise from Barnsley fans has been of the 1st degree and they were playing the top team in League 1 in Sheffield Wednesday certainly on recent form. All bodes really well for the lad stepping up a level in the next 18 months if nothing else.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

That sounds like he proper stood out. Didn’t watch the game but praise from Barnsley fans has been of the 1st degree and they were playing the top team in League 1 in Sheffield Wednesday certainly on recent form. All bodes really well for the lad stepping up a level in the next 18 months if nothing else.
Looks to be developing nicely, easy to forget he's only 22 and like many others, had nearly been written off by some. Needs to take another step forward and maybe fill out a bit, but he has a good left foot and he will be in the conversation, along with Coventry when the likes of Hendrick's time is up!
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 7:08am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Looks to be developing nicely, easy to forget he's only 22 and like many others, had nearly been written off by some. Needs to take another step forward and maybe fill out a bit, but he has a good left foot and he will be in the conversation, along with Coventry when the likes of Hendrick's time is up!

No nearly about it! The lad was heading for an early retirement if the commentary here was to be believed.
We're decent enough..
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:38am
Boss that Luca lad
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:53am
Luka is a baller and clearly hungry as fcuk after couple years in Celtic. He played lots of games on loan up north and seems to be standing to him. Consistently one of Barnsley’s top performers according to their forums. Will he get promoted this year or will a next level team come on for him. He made his debut at Bolton as a kid and they raved about him, serious pedigree if off the radar last couple years. Hopefully keeps moving in this trajectory and we’ll have a decent mid fielder in sight…
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 11:13am
Do you worry his lack of stature and pace will hold him back though?
I feel they're his main issues, and shares those limitations with Kilkenny, another nice similar footballer.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

I feel they're his main issues, and shares those limitations with Kilkenny, another nice similar footballer.

Agree on this and it will probably prevent either making it to the highest level. Connell is having a very good season in the engine room for Barnsley though, so hopefully can continue improving and filling out a bit. Never really got the hype with Kilkenny, never stood out for the U21s for me, Coventry although not brilliant himself always seemed the better player and the more physically capable of the two.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 11:36am
If Connell is to make it at senior level (big if) that will only be as a deep lying midfielder, similar to Cullen. He doesn't have the pace or athleticism to play any further forward I don't think. Not at the level we need anyway. Him and Coventry are probably the two you'd look at as the potential deputies for Cullen. We don't really have anyone else to play that role in the current squad. Coventry is probably still ahead of Connell at this point though.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 12:20pm
he shone last night in an absolute cracker of a game . First time I’d seen him in a long time and he’s improved in every facet of his game.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

he shone last night in an absolute cracker of a game . First time I’d seen him in a long time and he’s improved in every facet of his game.

I'd say he had a good game rather than "shone" to be honest. Herbie Kane was the best midfielder on the Barnsley side imo. He is definitely on an upward trajectory though.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Don't think it's gonna be much of an issue really cause it's not like he's the same size as Joe Hodge. Even when he was a skinny kid at Bolton Curtis Fleming who coached at Boro talked up his physicality for a young kid.

Pity he wasted those three years at Celtic. Could have been playing at a higher level with a decent championship team maybe rather than League One atm.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:37pm
Stature isn't the issue. He's not a particularly small man and he's not afraid of the physical side of the game. Pace and athleticism is the potential issue and I think would prevent him from ever being a box to box type midfielder.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Stature isn't the issue. He's not a particularly small man and he's not afraid of the physical side of the game. Pace and athleticism is the potential issue and I think would prevent him from ever being a box to box type midfielder.

Yeah, yer right.  I conflated stature with athleticism and the latter is the issue.
Hodge, certainly one of limited stature, looks like he has athleticism to burn the way he's everywhere on the pitch.
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 2:25pm
Watch him chase the CB the length of the pitch last night alone from a hacked away clearance & then turn on the keeper when he forced the CB to go back lads & maybe reevaluate the athleticism  /  pace questions. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 2:37pm

Watch him chase the CB the length of the pitch last night alone from a hacked away clearance & then turn on the keeper when he forced the CB to go back lads & maybe reevaluate the athleticism  /  pace questions. 

I'm not questioning his determination and work-ethic, which is more what you are describing.
He's just not as dymanic as some central mids, and this is not a slight on him but just more an observation.

Delighted to see him step up a division next season and compete with Coventry for Cullen's apprentice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 35>
  Share Topic