You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luca Connell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 35>
Author
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeatSniffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 11:41am
Connell's first goal for Queens Park last night.

https://twitter.com/celtic_loanvids/status/1377154722973446146 - https://twitter.com/celtic_loanvids/status/1377154722973446146

Despite the lack of game times he's had recently due to injuries, I think he's one of our best prospects. His passing, touch and turn of pace is exceptional.

Edited by SeatSniffer - 31 Mar 2021 at 11:45am
Sponsored Links

amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 5:51pm
glad to see him playing again but what a shame he goes nearly the entire year without club football and then goes to scottish league two
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 6:29pm
Almost two years without club football. Incredible mismanagement of the player (or all part of Neil's grand plan, according to a few posters on here over the course of the last year or two LOL).
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Almost two years without club football. Incredible mismanagement of the player (or all part of Neil's grand plan, according to a few posters on here over the course of the last year or two LOL).

I don't recall anyone saying any such thing. Do you want to show us this?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
TigerRoll View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigerRoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 8:15pm
Celtic have a truly awful record at developing players they buy in. There is a few exceptions of course but in general it’s been dire for many years under various management teams. Look at Bayern or Ajax for inspiration.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I don't recall anyone saying any such thing. Do you want to show us this?

Sure you only have to read back through the thread. Lads crediting Lennon for Virgil van Dyk and the likes.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 10:06pm

Nothing short of a joke and tbh it speaks very badly of both Celtic but also his agent. What’s his agent at is he not meant to be looking after him? 

Hopefully he gets an injury free run for them now and can get either a first team run for Celtic or a move elsewhere. As stated infuriating mismanagement of what looked a good prospect and kind of sums up our general year or so.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Nothing short of a joke and tbh it speaks very badly of both Celtic but also his agent. What’s his agent at is he not meant to be looking after him? 

Hopefully he gets an injury free run for them now and can get either a first team run for Celtic or a move elsewhere. As stated infuriating mismanagement of what looked a good prospect and kind of sums up our general year or so.
It’s not just Luca Connell but most of the other young Irish lads at Celtic have had their progression stalled since going up to Scotland. Them wanting to win 10 in a row and every cup competition which is fair enough they had a brilliant few years including quadruple treble but most of the young talent haven’t gotten a look in. O Connor, Afolabi, Coffey, Okoflex haven’t made much progress which is hugely disappointing as some of them looked to be decent prospects. Hopefully they can get moved next year

Edited by Donegalman - 31 Mar 2021 at 11:32pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 11:33pm
Yes but are any of them realistically good enough to play for Celtic's 1st team?? I suggest probably not.
I love beer gardens
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Yes but are any of them realistically good enough to play for Celtic's 1st team?? I suggest probably not.
Who knows that’s the problem none of them have really gotten a chance. Luca Connell for example got something like 45 minutes in preseason and was most people’s MOTM, the Celtic fans were absolutely raving about him on Twitter. If his performances in the championship are anything to go by he certainly is good enough for their first team.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 12:12am
For me Connell looks like the only one who will be good enough for Celtic and I reckon he will breakthrough next season at some point. Okoflex got a few games and looked out of his depth and thr other two I just cant see it unfortunatley, O'Connor maybe has a chance he is starting to get decent reports latley off the back of a slow start with Tranmere.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 9:05am
Okoflex will be away in the summer as his contract will be up. He did little in the two first team sub appearances he made. Bigger clubs are said to be interested in signing him. Crystal Palace and Huddersfield had offers turned down in recent months, some European teams also rumoured. Coffey is currently on the bench at Cliftonville. Afolabi is mostly a sub for Dundee. O'Connor has impressed for Tranmere and Connell has looked good at Queen's Park and for Ireland under-21s. No guarantees that any of them will break through but opportunities at Celtic have been in woefully short supply and a new manager may not necessarily change that.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 10:26am
Connell does look the best of the five lads at Celtic alright. Which is why it's frustrating that he has played so little football in the last two years. I mean, if you don't think he's ready for the Celtic first team (which is fair enough, they have a big squad), just send him out on loan. It's not that difficult.

Take Lee O'Connor as an example, he's probably not as highly rated as Connell being honest. But he has had a season and a half out on loan and it has definitely helped his development, even though the loan clubs haven't been great. This time last year he was playing poorly for Partick, six months ago he was playing poorly for Tranmere, but he was at least playing and now he is starting to show signs of developing. His ceiling is probably English Championship at absolute best but the football he has played will help him, it's a shame Connell has lost that development time.

Afolabi I think is a classic case of a big lad looking good at underage level but losing that advantage in the senior game. Okoflex seems to have a poor enough attitude, he is young enough that if he knuckles down at his next club he might still have a chance, but he probably won't. Coffey will be back in the League of Ireland soon but will have plenty to prove even at that level.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 7:10am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 11:47pm
Pre season starting for Celtic. They released a clip of the new manager in a training session. Connell featured in it a bit, and even scored a nice goal at the end. It's meaningless pre season I know, but I am hopeful that he's going to be given a chance this season.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 8:19am
Well the Celtic Colts have been admitted to the Lowland League for the coming season (that's tier 5 on the Scottish Pyramid) so if he doesn't go out on loan there's a good chance he'll end up playing most of his football at that level.
gally View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Pre season starting for Celtic. They released a clip of the new manager in a training session. Connell featured in it a bit, and even scored a nice goal at the end. It's meaningless pre season I know, but I am hopeful that he's going to be given a chance this season.

Thanks for that, also heard the gaffer shout at some point "Well done Lee", could that be O'Connor.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by gally gally wrote:

Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Thanks for that, also heard the gaffer shout at some point "Well done Lee", could that be O'Connor.

The first player he greets in that video is Lee O'Connor, so yes. 

Edited by Eoink21 - 03 Jul 2021 at 9:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 35>
  Share Topic