You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overrated Goals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

As was the (admittedly arguably offside) goal in 2013 in the game that won the league, where he volleyed it from over his shoulder from 30-odd yards, from Rooney's pass. I think it West Ham and the game finished 3-0. I think it was the first goal.

I thought his goal vs Everton for Arsenal was better. Similar pass and volley but a wider angle.

His volley against Charlton for Arsenal was his best goal, ridiculous technique.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Sponsored Links

bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:27pm
Lads honestly I’d say half of you have never kicked a ball in your lives if you’re calling 90% of the goals mentioned over rated.

Zidane’s volley was simply incredible and is up there with the best I’ve ever seen.

Beckham vs Wimbledon was a ridiculous goal. He was 20 and playing under Ferguson and he had the balls to try that. Ferguson would have eaten the balls off him if it dropped short or ended up in the stand. The technique of that strike is brilliant and I can’t have it that it’s overrated.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:29pm
Shearer’s volley (Was it against Everton?)

Someone mentioned Cantona’s chip against Sunderland, have to disagree. Sheer brilliance made even more famous for the celebration.

Alot of Puskas winners/nominations are severely overrated
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Shearer’s volley (Was it against Everton?)

Someone mentioned Cantona’s chip against Sunderland, have to disagree. Sheer brilliance made even more famous for the celebration.

Alot of Puskas winners/nominations are severely overrated

The easiest way to identify whether a goal is overrated or not is think to yourself how many of those goals do you repeated? Once a week? Once a month? Once a season?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen another player hit a ball as sweetly as Shearer’s goal against Everton. Perhaps Rooney against Newcastle a couple of years later but I still think Shearer’s was better. I can’t remember a similar goal like it since. An unbelievable goal.

Same with Zidane in 2002. 

Cantona’s goal was brilliant but yeah it’s more likely to be remembered for the celebration than the actual goal. There have been plenty similar goals scored in the league since.

Top 3 NOT over rated goals in the Premier League for me:

1) Shearer volley vs Everton 

2) Henry vs Man Utd at highbury (the flick and swivel outside the box)

3) Rooney volley vs Newcastle

Edited by bundy - 16 May 2019 at 10:46pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:06pm
Top 5 goals in the Greed is Good league

5th) Bergkamp vs Leicester
4th) Di Canio vs Wimbledon
3rd) Le Tissier vs Newcastle (2nd one, class celebration, or lack of one)
2nd)Le Tissier  vs Manchester United
1st) Le Tissier vs Blackburn

Edited by pre Madonna - 16 May 2019 at 11:07pm
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

As was the (admittedly arguably offside) goal in 2013 in the game that won the league, where he volleyed it from over his shoulder from 30-odd yards, from Rooney's pass. I think it West Ham and the game finished 3-0. I think it was the first goal.

I thought his goal vs Everton for Arsenal was better. Similar pass and volley but a wider angle.

His volley against Charlton for Arsenal was his best goal, ridiculous technique.

Fully agree, I love that goal. I'd put it up there with the very best in PL history, perfect connection at a very difficult height.
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Le Tissier scored beautiful goals. I'm sure theres a compilation on YouTube 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:27pm
Clearly the best goal ever scored in the Premier League is John Barnes versus Blackburn at Ewood Park in October 1994

One for the scrapbook
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Did he ever just score a 2-yard tap-in? Just about every goal that lad scored seemed to be a worldie. LOLClap

Edited by ConorMac77 - 16 May 2019 at 11:30pm
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 6:21am
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Fully agree, I love that goal. I'd put it up there with the very best in PL history, perfect connection at a very difficult height.

I still have no idea why Eboue crossed the ball in when he did, there were no Arsenal players near the box at the time, makes the technique involved all the more impressive.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:33am
Always thought that Rooneys overhead against City was overrated
Great timing and an important goal, but he shinned it in
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:36am

I'd put the goal against Newcastle number one. The 2 he got that day could be top 5. Actually think the one against Blackburn is overrated slightly. Still show my class every year a compilation of his best goals. They be in awe!
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:38am
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Had a video as a kid of every goal he scored up till 1996. Watched it on a daily basis. Unreal. Hes the reason I follow Southampton
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:49am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

I'd put the goal against Newcastle number one. The 2 he got that day could be top 5. Actually think the one against Blackburn is overrated slightly. Still show my class every year a compilation of his best goals. They be in awe!
It’s the way he beats the two men against Blackburn, he is barely walking and he turns them inside out.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:00pm
Was the who was better Matt Le Tissier or Carlton Palmer feud ever decided?

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Was the who was better Matt Le Tissier or Carlton Palmer feud ever decided?

always thought Le tissier was better than Gascoigne and England would of had a better record  if he had been their main man

Fair play to his loyality but the flip side maybe was lack of ambition/drive
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:26pm
One of the strangest decisions was Hoddle, of all people, ignoring him for England!
I wonder will we ever see a player like him again due to the systematic nature of the game now. 
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:37pm
One of the readers comments after that article.No idea if it was true or the reasons behind it.

mash, Southampton, United Kingdom, 2 years ago

The only flaw in that argument is that neither of the two names you mention were selected to go to Fance in 98. It was nothing short of ridiculous that Le Tiss didn't get selected for that tournament. This more a reflection on Hoddle's personal grudge against him than anything else.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic