Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overrated Goals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:01pm
I think they two Beckham ones were, not that they weren't good goals, just that they were was more hype because of who scored them. Any goal from the halfway line is excellent, but there have been better goals from that distance. Everything that Beckham did was a bit like that though, even if he was an excellent player.
Sponsored Links

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:08pm
Free kick v Greece was brilliant and don't think it's overrated but I think the goal v Wimbledon is. Obviously it was an excellent goal but it's not at the level people make it out to be.

Cantona's goal v Sunderland where he chipped the keeper (think it was Lionel Perez) in about 1996 or 97 is very overrated. It's always on those best Premier League goals lists

YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Free kick v Greece was brilliant and don't think it's overrated but I think the goal v Wimbledon is. Obviously it was an excellent goal but it's not at the level people make it out to be.

Cantona's goal v Sunderland where he chipped the keeper (think it was Lionel Perez) in about 1996 or 97 is very overrated. It's always on those best Premier League goals lists

He had a few goes at the free-kick though. I remember watching it and thinking about f**king time he got one!

I always felt that Adam and Beckford scored better, Rob Lee's scored a belter on David Forde from halfway at a game I was at.  I also remember Stankovic scoring a wonderful volley from a similar distance. Nayim's is the king though. I just watched it again and it was much further in, but the technique, timing and significance make it underrated.

Cantona's goal appears because of the celebration as much as the goal. Simply brilliant and part of the reason why he is widely loved. I thought he was a very overrated player, I never felt he was world class,or even near it, but he is one of my favourite footballers.

As I am here, I always thought Gazza's goal against Scotland wasn't as good as made out.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Saw a tweet were a man was naming his top 3 over rated goals of all time. They were Beckham against Wimbledon, Van Persie's header against Spain and Beckham's free kick against Greece. .
One that I always thought was over rated was a Ronaldo free kick at home to Portsmouth. It won goal of the season that year I think.

Ah away to f**k out of that, that was a brilliant goal.

Clap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

He had a few goes at the free-kick though. I remember watching it and thinking about f**king time he got one!

I always felt that Adam and Beckford scored better, Rob Lee's scored a belter on David Forde from halfway at a game I was at.  I also remember Stankovic scoring a wonderful volley from a similar distance. Nayim's is the king though. I just watched it again and it was much further in, but the technique, timing and significance make it underrated.

Cantona's goal appears because of the celebration as much as the goal. Simply brilliant and part of the reason why he is widely loved. I thought he was a very overrated player, I never felt he was world class,or even near it, but he is one of my favourite footballers.

As I am here, I always thought Gazza's goal against Scotland wasn't as good as made out.

Isn't that the one where the keeper headed it, it came to him, and he arched his body sideways and smacked it back at a perfect trajectory? I think it might even have went in without hitting the ground, which made it all the sweeter.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:58pm

Yup, that was it.

I love how this thread has actually turned into a celebration of magnificent goals rather than denigration of mediocre ones.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:22pm
Ibrahimovic v England is overrated in my opinion
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:23pm
There's an element of luck about all spectacular long shots/volleys in that most of the time they won't come off, and any professsional footballer has the ability to pluck one out of the very top drawer. 

There was nothing inherently better about Zidane's goal against Bayer Leverkusen than there was, say, about Darren Barnard's spectacular left footed volley in Barnsley's 7-1 win over Huddersfield in November 1998. 

Yet nobody ever lists Barnard's goal as one of the greatest of all time.

whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:24pm

For some reason, I've never thought Zidanes goal for Real Madrid v Bayer Leverkusen in the 2002 Champions League final is as good as it's made out to be. I know his technique was excellent but it just does nothing for me. Maybe it's the 1/2 dive from the keeper or the stupid looking green nets they used.

Abso-bloody-exactly

Ah lads, it was astonishing as the ball was lobbed over so took an age to come down. The technical skill in hitting it so accurately with his weaker foot was fantastic. 
I'm biased because I saw it live, but even still, given the occasion it was a marvelous goal.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:28pm
The Beckham one against Wimbledon was a bit over-rated in that it got a lot more hype than other similar goals from the halfway line have got (Rooney's against West Ham spring to mind)
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by whitesideOnside whitesideOnside wrote:

For some reason, I've never thought Zidanes goal for Real Madrid v Bayer Leverkusen in the 2002 Champions League final is as good as it's made out to be. I know his technique was excellent but it just does nothing for me. Maybe it's the 1/2 dive from the keeper or the stupid looking green nets they used.

Abso-bloody-exactly

Ah lads, it was astonishing as the ball was lobbed over so took an age to come down. The technical skill in hitting it so accurately with his weaker foot was fantastic. 
I'm biased because I saw it live, but even still, given the occasion it was a marvelous goal.
Darren Barnard's was better

Only the greats can do what Barnard did
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by whitesideOnside whitesideOnside wrote:

Abso-bloody-exactly

Agreed. One of the last goals I ever expected to see appear on a thread about overrated goals! As you say the technical difficulty to achieve what he did was phenomenal. Not to mention doing it in a CL final.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:42pm
To be popular
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Better than Zidane's anyway
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:52pm
Just had a look at Zidane's goal in 2002

It was a shinny

Overrated film nomination:  That "documentary" which follows Zidane around for the entirety of a match

sh*t plot

sh*t dialogue

sh*t production values

sh*t everything

Edited by sid waddell - 16 May 2019 at 4:52pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 5:12pm
Excellent soundtrack.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

There's an element of luck about all spectacular long shots/volleys in that most of the time they won't come off, and any professsional footballer has the ability to pluck one out of the very top drawer. 

There was nothing inherently better about Zidane's goal against Bayer Leverkusen than there was, say, about Darren Barnard's spectacular left footed volley in Barnsley's 7-1 win over Huddersfield in November 1998. 

The difference with Barnard is that his was always less likely to come off and has more of the hairy arsed chancer about it.

Any duffer can swing their foot at a ball in the hope of doing the spectacular. For the chancer, it comes off rarely and is closer to luck than absolute skill. However, for Zidane, it was always much more likely to come off. It's the combination of imagination and technique that makes a good goal; a goal from a player who repeatedly demonstrates imagination and technique is more admirable than one from a hairy arsed chancer who hits a ball a thwallop and gets lucky one time in a hundred.

That's why, I suppose, Ronaldo free kicks are not really that impressive; it's a volume thing. However, the Zidane goal was a thing of beauty. He had the imagination to try and the technique to pull it off, in the Champions League final. If he'd done it in a pre-season friendly for Huddersfield, we wouldn't be talking about it.

The best goals are the one where you see the audacity in the split second before the ball is hit and almost have two phases of disbelief; the first is where you realise the player is going to try the spectacular *in the circumstances of the game* and the second is where they actually achieve the spectacular.

That two phase realisation applies to either of the van Persie goals spoken of, to the Stankovic goal (you can see the body arching before he hits the ball) and to plenty of others. It doesn't quite apply to a lad not renowned for brilliance swinging his boot at the ball in an absolute risk-free environment when his team are already 5-0 up in the first half.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

The difference with Barnard is that his was always less likely to come off and has more of the hairy arsed chancer about it.

Any duffer can swing their foot at a ball in the hope of doing the spectacular. For the chancer, it comes off rarely and is closer to luck than absolute skill. However, for Zidane, it was always much more likely to come off. It's the combination of imagination and technique that makes a good goal; a goal from a player who repeatedly demonstrates imagination and technique is more admirable than one from a hairy arsed chancer who hits a ball a thwallop and gets lucky one time in a hundred.

That's why, I suppose, Ronaldo free kicks are not really that impressive; it's a volume thing. However, the Zidane goal was a thing of beauty. He had the imagination to try and the technique to pull it off, in the Champions League final. If he'd done it in a pre-season friendly for Huddersfield, we wouldn't be talking about it.
Barnard's goal was technically superior to Zidane's

It was a harder volley than Zidane's as Barnard had to run into position on a faster moving diagonal ball - Zidane had at least four or five seconds in a standing position with no pressure on him - and Zidane shinned his - Barnard didn't

With volleys you can directly compare technical difficulty in a way you can't with dribbled goals

With volleys the status of the match is irrelevant - you can easily get a more technically difficult volley being scored in a match of less status
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic