You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Premier League 19/20 Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 46>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 10:04pm
Some good wins for the bottom teams this week, West Ham beating Norwich yesterday, thn Watford came from behind to beat Newcastle. 

Looked like relegation battle was over 24 hours ago.

Then Villa beat Palance today to keep their hopes alive

Then Bournemouth looked down at 1-0 down to Leicester at half time. Schmeichel mess up left them back in the game and ran out 4-1 winners.

Sponsored Links

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

He'll not be there this time next year.
He’s yesterdays man. The game has moved on.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 12:02am
Brendan Rodgers reminds me of former Dublin, Offaly and Kilmacud Crokes manager Tommy Lyons. 

Lyons was great at getting a short term burst of very good form out of a mediocre team when he took over as manager anywhere. In the first year or year and a half so after taking over a team, his relentlessly positive, media friendly attitude would get excellent results. His teams would ride a wave of confidence. Offaly won the Leinster title in his first year in 1997 and the National League in 1998. Dublin won the Leinster title in his first year in 2002 and were only stopped by that infamous Ray Cosgrove missed free off the post in the semi-final against Armagh.

Then his teams would suffer an unexpected defeat, and that would be pretty much it. In Offaly's case it was a thumping by Meath in the 1998 Leinster championship.  In Dublin's it was defeat by Laois in 2003. He'd stay on for another year or two, but the team's form would never properly recover from those defeats, and before long the players would end up thinking he was a giant twat and a parting of the ways would become inevitable.

Rodgers had some great runs of form early in his tenure at Liverpool, Celtic and Leicester. He improved those teams beyond all recognition. Liverpool looked like world beaters in 2014 and then you know what happened. And that was basically it. Although Celtic were in a league where winning the title was a given, under him they won the treble and went unbeaten, but by even the end of his second season there were rumblings that all was not well and by the time he left there weren't that many sorry to see the back of him.

And now it's happening again at Leicester. A superb run of form followed by a collapse. I think it was the 4-0 defeat by Liverpool at Christmas that ruined Leicester.

You couldn't say Lyons or Rodgers were terrible managers, because they're not, but they're only good in the short term. I'd guess it's because they are essentially gimmicky in their motivational techniques, sort of Tony Robbins or Deepak Chopra-esque. For a while they're motivational gurus, and then they turn into Alan Partridge.

Edited by sid waddell - 13 Jul 2020 at 12:04am
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Some good wins for the bottom teams this week, West Ham beating Norwich yesterday, thn Watford came from behind to beat Newcastle. 

Then Bournemouth looked down at 1-0 down to Leicester at half time. Schmeichel mess up left them back in the game and ran out 4-1 winners.

West Ham play Watford next at home.
A win for either team will see them safe.

A draw would suit WH as they have a better goal difference.

Bournemouth have to play City away and AV have Everton away next.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:37am

Bournmouth had looked lost since returning, but the last week or so has given them serious hope. Villa also have brought themselves back into it with a good win yesterday.

The other outcome is that Brighton have now been dragged back into it, although they have remaining fixtures that a five point return wouldn't be a surprise, although I happen to feel they are really treading water in then Premier League. 

A win for West Ham or Watford on Friday, and something for Brighton on Thursday will leave it between Bournemouth, Villa, and one of the London Clubs for the final two spots.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Bournmouth had looked lost since returning, but the last week or so has given them serious hope. Villa also have brought themselves back into it with a good win yesterday.

The other outcome is that Brighton have now been dragged back into it, although they have remaining fixtures that a five point return wouldn't be a surprise, although I happen to feel they are really treading water in then Premier League. 

A win for West Ham or Watford on Friday, and something for Brighton on Thursday will leave it between Bournemouth, Villa, and one of the London Clubs for the final two spots.
London Clubs sure the Hornets would not be too happy to be called part of that lot .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:13pm
Tyler and Smith were saying that it's human nature for Liverpool's players to not be overly motivated seeing as the league was wrapped up.

For a club that hadn't won the league in 30 years, records were always going to come secondary once the job was done which was winning the title.

It begs me to ask the question and it's something I really can't get my head around, what is Klopp's obsession with not rotating his squad.

They were at home to Burnley at the weekend and away at Arsenal tonight, why the f**k wouldn't you give your fringe players 90 minutes to actually see how they'll cope as opposed to restoring to what he always does when a key player is missing by shoehorning one of the 13/14 players he only tends to use into an unfamiliar position because he simply doesn't trust the lads beyond that.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:15pm
When you look at how relentless this team were at picking up wins and points all season, and City still managed to be the only team to date to break 100, it puts into perspective how hard it truly is
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:16pm
Adrian, Shaqiri, Lovren, Jones, Williams, Minamino, Origi etc would all have been highly motivated I'm sure if given the chance to start tonight while as we've seen the return of football since the break, a handful of his stars don't look too bothered as they knew the title was wrapped up and their mind is elsewhere.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

When you look at how relentless this team were at picking up wins and points all season, and City still managed to be the only team to date to break 100, it puts into perspective how hard it truly is

No question "but" with Pep and City they are obsessive with breaking records and had a title previously which added that extra bit of motivation.

With Liverpool I don't see it, especially not when it came to winning the PL this season which was practically in the bag by February. 

It's Klopp's achilles heal imo, he's far slower to react in certain aspects than Pep and it cost him early in his reign by being too loyal to certain players who weren't up to it and even in this year's CL campaign, failure to rotate cost them big time.

They will most definitely have to invest in the summer otherwise City will catch them.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Klopp was chasing the 100 points total for sure.
That’s the only reason he was playing his strongest team since the league was won.

I can see him rotating for the next 2 games now that 100 pts can’t be achieved.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:27pm
Complacency has crept in big time, the lack of rotation has back fired and numerous players know there is zero pressure on them come match day. 9 or 10 of them know that they'll be starting and of course when the fringe players are only getting a handful of minutes when brought on can't expect to be "on it" if/when they get a rare start.

Of course said 9 or 10 players have earned the right to start and be first choice, but the league was never in doubt. He would have learned far more seeing what his fringe players can do over the last week or two than see what the usual suspects can do.

Edited by Green Devil - 15 Jul 2020 at 10:30pm

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:30pm
96 points please. I want us to slip against Chelsea. It would be the icing on the cake to keep Manchester United out of the Champions League.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:31pm
Listened to a radio show a few weeks ago were they were debating whether Klopp would go full strength the rest of the season to go for the points record, or take the next few weeks to give key players a rest as they'd benefit from it next season, with the close season being short.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

96 points please. I want us to slip against Chelsea. It would be the icing on the cake to keep Manchester United out of the Champions League.

Win the last two and lift the title to "99 red balloons", finally laying the ghost of Pepe Reina at Sunderland to rest

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:39pm

Listened to a radio show a few weeks ago were they were debating whether Klopp would go full strength the rest of the season to go for the points record, or take the next few weeks to give key players a rest as they'd benefit from it next season, with the close season being short.

It would also keep the likes of Shaqiri, Origi, Minamino etc more motivated and give them some confidence and dangle a carrot by saying well "go and prove me wrong, here's your chance and show me you can break into the team or play more" and so forth.

I've always said this in regard to Ireland, it was to or detriment that so many of our players were cushy no matter how well we were doing and the fringe lads were only along for the ride. 

Even a winning team's squad can become very stale very quickly. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:40pm

IMO He had to go for the 100+ pts - it’s a record that will probably never be beaten. 
With no FA cup or champ league it was something else to go for.

In hindsight it would have been better to rotate the squad and I believe he will do that now. 

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:44pm
lads, who actually cares about points records? Do you get an extra medal for it?

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 46>
  Share Topic