Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Training Camp Squad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:13pm
LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

Originally posted by Gerry Geary Gerry Geary wrote:

So I remembered working in Genève I played a 5 side with some guys from Birmingham and said...i went to Liverpool and I loved the city people there were very friendly and down to earth! the English....they were 4guys..... thought I was Swiss- French...or Canadian and they said something like.. " hey..Liverpool is a horrible place is a city full of scousers and Irish !"

What has this to do with the training camp?
Connell scouser called up
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:23pm

So I remembered working in Genève I played a 5 side with some guys from Birmingham and said...i went to Liverpool and I loved the city people there were very friendly and down to earth! the English....they were 4guys..... thought I was Swiss- French...or Canadian and they said something like.. " hey..Liverpool is a horrible place is a city full of scousers and Irish !"

Anyone know what floor he lives on?
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I think it's the second floor
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:43pm
Connell not in the match squad it would seem, just the training squad, very odd 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Connell not in the match squad it would seem, just the training squad, very odd 

From quotes I read McCarthy said that Connell could play his way into the squad.

Could show up to the training camp and be sh*te.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:54pm

I don't think the lift goes all the way up to Gerry's.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:05pm
LOL
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I don't think the lift goes all the way up to Gerry's.
It goes! What about you ? Dont go berserker
Joe Stalin View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:45pm
As a matter of interest, whats the point of going to Portugal as opposed to a training camp at home this time of year? 

Any number of high quality facilities here now (Carton, Fota etc.) . All set up to cater for teams at the highest level. Just seems a missed opportunity to support Irish business but more importantly to have the team somewhere on the island and engaging with the Irish public a little more, particularly in some non-Dublin location.

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Joe Stalin Joe Stalin wrote:

As a matter of interest, whats the point of going to Portugal as opposed to a training camp at home this time of year? 

Any number of high quality facilities here now (Carton, Fota etc.) . All set up to cater for teams at the highest level. Just seems a missed opportunity to support Irish business but more importantly to have the team somewhere on the island and engaging with the Irish public a little more, particularly in some non-Dublin location.

I'm guessing partly it's to be away from the clamour of public and constant media.

But main reason is for the players. Only for international games they would be sunning themselves somewhere in Costa Rica right now. Going to the Algarve softens the blow. You're still on the clock but you've got guaranteed sun, new surroundings and relaxed atmosphere. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I'm guessing partly it's to be away from the clamour of public and constant media.

But main reason is for the players. Only for international games they would be sunning themselves somewhere in Costa Rica right now. Going to the Algarve softens the blow. You're still on the clock but you've got guaranteed sun, new surroundings and relaxed atmosphere. 
I can't imagine the players going to Costa Rica on holiday. 
Joe Stalin View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 12:04am
But the journo's are all there with them from what I can see. and the public inter-action can be well controlled. You're probably right re. the players alright. 

Just seems a missed opportunity not to use your biggest asset and try and bridge some of the disconnect between the team and Irish public 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 12:06am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I can't imagine the players going to Costa Rica on holiday. 

I know. Maybe I just want to go there. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 12:07am
Me too.
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 12:16am
That's the exact reason they are there to keep them away from any fans/kids so more of a focus on the job in hand. Whether right or wrong I'm not so sure.
If in Carton/Fota, which excellent facilities they are too close to the public.

Edited by ProudAndLoud - 22 May 2019 at 12:17am
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 1:20am
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

Taking them to Portugal makes perfect sense. 

No distractions, relaxed atmosphere, guaranteed good weather.

Will mean f**k all if we dont get the right results next month 

The Waterford hurlers had a training session in Portugal last month and we see now how much it helped 
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 8:47am
So McCarthy picks Connell, even though he has never seen him play, other than videos and hearsay, and picks him.

He goes to see Crowley play, albeit for about 15 minutes, and who is playing at a higher level, and doesn't pick him stating he needs to see more of him.

Then states there's no ulterior motive to picking Connell, hmmm

Edited by Howdo - 22 May 2019 at 8:47am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
  Share Topic