You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Training Camp Squad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

So McCarthy picks Connell, even though he has never seen him play, other than videos and hearsay, and picks him.

He goes to see Crowley play, albeit for about 15 minutes, and who is playing at a higher level, and doesn't pick him stating he needs to see more of him.

Then states there's no ulterior motive to picking Connell, hmmm
Honestly i'd say its debatable whether the Eredivisie is stronger than the championship. It's a really weak league beyond the big sides. I agree with your general point though. Would have been no harm at all to include Crowley for the training camp - you would think he's the type of player to stand out in that setting and possibly force his way into the team.
Sponsored Links

Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:05am
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

So McCarthy picks Connell, even though he has never seen him play, other than videos and hearsay, and picks him.

He goes to see Crowley play, albeit for about 15 minutes, and who is playing at a higher level, and doesn't pick him stating he needs to see more of him.

Honestly i'd say its debatable whether the Eredivisie is stronger than the championship. It's a really weak league beyond the big sides. I agree with your general point though. Would have been no harm at all to include Crowley for the training camp - you would think he's the type of player to stand out in that setting and possibly force his way into the team.

You're probably right about the Dutch league, but it's fairly obvious to everyone why he's been called up. And to be honest I've absolutely no issue with it, in fact if that's the reason he has, then, well done Mick
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:13am

You're probably right about the Dutch league, but it's fairly obvious to everyone why he's been called up. And to be honest I've absolutely no issue with it, in fact if that's the reason he has, then, well done Mick

Crowley's paperwork still isn't through in any case. No idea what the delay is. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Farcical that England could get Rice's paperwork through in weeks but it takes this long for us. I wonder is this also the case for Ryan Johansson?
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:45am

Farcical that England could get Rice's paperwork through in weeks but it takes this long for us. I wonder is this also the case for Ryan Johansson?

I reckon Rice's paperwork was submitted long before we were made aware of it. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:49am
I imagine Mick 'asked around' about Crowley and probably heard very negative things - a big performance was needed from him in the final for Mick to pick him.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:50am

No, I don't think it was. As far as I remember, FIFA have tried to speed up the process, so that combined with the English FA putting the squeeze on, and the subservient sheep at the FAI being ultra-cooperative, got the deal through in record time. As I said then, there was zero chance the English would be as facilitating to us, and that seems to have been the case.
We're decent enough..
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:13am
How do people know McCarthy or someone on his scouting team didn't watch Luca Connell?
houghton88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houghton88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Joe Stalin Joe Stalin wrote:

But the journo's are all there with them from what I can see. and the public inter-action can be well controlled. You're probably right re. the players alright. 

Just seems a missed opportunity not to use your biggest asset and try and bridge some of the disconnect between the team and Irish public 

What disconnect? What issues do we have with the team at the moment? 
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:17am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

How do people know McCarthy or someone on his scouting team didn't watch Luca Connell?

McCarthy stated yesterday that he’s never seen him play other than videos and what’s he’s heard back

Edited by Howdo - 22 May 2019 at 10:17am
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:24am
Originally posted by houghton88 houghton88 wrote:

Originally posted by Joe Stalin Joe Stalin wrote:

But the journo's are all there with them from what I can see. and the public inter-action can be well controlled. You're probably right re. the players alright. 

Just seems a missed opportunity not to use your biggest asset and try and bridge some of the disconnect between the team and Irish public 

What disconnect? What issues do we have with the team at the moment? 

It's not the teams job to try and restore positive public perception in relation to the FAI, and nor should it be.

Let them focus on the 2 games in hand. Denmark isn't until the 7th June, they'll be in Ireland for long enough around the next 2 games.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:39am

Agreed. And to be honest drawing any other conclusion is simply illogical.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:50am
f**king hell!LOL
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:58am
Going by this, it was submitted around January and processed in March: https://mobile.twitter.com/OCowzer/status/1102907387139231753
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

I imagine Mick 'asked around' about Crowley and probably heard very negative things - a big performance was needed from him in the final for Mick to pick him.

A lot of managers just don't like to feel as if they're being told what to do (ie O'Neill with Doherty/Christie, when the pressure to play Doherty became too great he only did so with Christie also shoehorned into the team...). It's effectively just about maintaining a sense of control. Perhaps Mick also feels like he's being pushed by the media to pick Crowley, so he's being more resistant to the idea. Whereas with Connell, there hasn't been the same general clamour, so it feels like a more independent decision to Mick to pick him.
We're decent enough..
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 1:30pm
The way Rice situation was handled was a circus. And has damaged the image of the Republic of Ireland as a football nation, because for most of the ordinary viewers the broadcasters said "Irish footballer declared for England" for most football-wise people the corruption in Fai Offices is something known around the football body.

Edited by Gerry Geary - 22 May 2019 at 1:31pm
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 1:35pm
So if Mick took the game up with this kid, kudos to Mick. I keep on saying that Mon-Roy were very ethical about it and it was Rice and his agent and Davy Gold decision. in this scenario we must cap youngsters in dead rubbers or as the American say will be strike 3. (GREALISH-RICE-)
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 1:42pm
LOLLOL
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic