Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JOHN ALDRIDGE/EL ZORRO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 2:05pm
'Bubbles' Dwyer Clap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 3:00pm
BubblesLOL FFS!

Bomber is a fairly normal and understandable nickname in sport, certainly when  compared to the others!
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 3:05pm
'Cheddar' Plunkett
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 3:14pm
Used to play football with a bloke nicknamed Fred because he was Fat and had Red hair.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Used to play football with a bloke nicknamed Fred because he was Fat and had Red hair.
That is completely different though. There are some brilliant nicknames in Ireland, even if they are often rather cruel. I know of people called 'Soupy', 'Lampshade' and 'Bungalow' for their perceived lack of intelligence. In school they were often even crueller and were sadistic looking back on it. I knew girls known as 'Pizza-Face'(bad acne) and 'Permanent Marker' (prominent birth-mark), not to mention my friend's sister being called 'BBT' (Breda Big Tits) to her face. I have also noticed since moving to England that it isn't normal to give your teachers nicknames! My partner still refers to hers by their proper names! I still think of mine as 'Jag', 'Paddy Flash', 'Kicker', 'Bouncer', 'Snail', 'Moustache'(the poor woman' and 'hairy tits'(even poorer woman, but she should have dressed better!)

What is odd about the GAA nicknames is that they become used by commentators and journalists, for no apparent reason! In a land where nearly everyone has a nickname and the best you can hope for is a corruption of your actual name(having an unusual surname can be a blessing!) it is more odd that everyone knows them! As much as I despise the GAA, I do find this parochialism rather charming and at least they are more inventive than those given to our footballers. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

That is completely different though. There are some brilliant nicknames in Ireland, even if they are often rather cruel. I know of people called 'Soupy', 'Lampshade' and 'Bungalow' for their perceived lack of intelligence. In school they were often even crueller and were sadistic looking back on it. I knew girls known as 'Pizza-Face'(bad acne) and 'Permanent Marker' (prominent birth-mark), not to mention my friend's sister being called 'BBT' (Breda Big Tits) to her face. I have also noticed since moving to England that it isn't normal to give your teachers nicknames! My partner still refers to hers by their proper names! I still think of mine as 'Jag', 'Paddy Flash', 'Kicker', 'Bouncer', 'Snail', 'Moustache'(the poor woman' and 'hairy tits'(even poorer woman, but she should have dressed better!)

What is odd about the GAA nicknames is that they become used by commentators and journalists, for no apparent reason! In a land where nearly everyone has a nickname and the best you can hope for is a corruption of your actual name(having an unusual surname can be a blessing!) it is more odd that everyone knows them! As much as I despise the GAA, I do find this parochialism rather charming and at least they are more inventive than those given to our footballers. 

Seems to be a common things nowadays. Had some crackers in the school I went to in Lucan; The Block (Metalwork teacher who was as wide as he was tall), The Gonk (surname was McGonagle and looked like a character from the Muppets), Batman (no idea), and then God (religion teacher) to name a few.

Best nickname I ever heard was "Crime" for a fella who was notoriously stingy. Because Crime doesn't pay.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Any pictures of Breda?
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 10:06pm
During his time at Real Sociedad, Aldo scored 8 goals against Barcelona in 6 games.

In the same period, he played 13 competitive games for Ireland, including starting every game at Italia 90, but he only scored 5 goals.

And those 5 goals came against Malta, a brace, in the game that qualified us for the World Cup, and a hat-trick against Turkey in Euro 92 qualifying.

We've struggled to score goals for years, but it is amazing that we had a player who could score more goals against Barcelona, than against all the teams Ireland faced in those few years.

Edited by Terzino - 02 May 2019 at 10:08pm
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 10:55pm
Man. U got it wrong. U ve got to check....the Toshack strategy and the Jacko's strategy at the time as well. It is not maths. In Donostia he was a fox in a box. Had other fwrd who did the dirty work. He was a poacher. in the Eire he had to do the dirty work to create space for his partners.....Stapleton , Quinn , Cascarino, Tommy Coyne, Davy Kelly, Johnnie Byrne
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:14pm
Seem to spend his time on twitter offering fans of rival football clubs a scrap
Complete heads gone
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Complete heads gone

What is his Twitter account? 

Asking for a mate

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 16 May 2019 at 11:43pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Complete heads gone

What is his Twitter account? 

Asking for a mate

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 6:48pm
Turning into a pathetic aul lad on the payroll of CBD oil firms. His latest shows him making very spurious claims about how CBD extended his cancer suffering brother in law’s life. 

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 5:33am
The way they go on, you’d swear they were the first to bring CBD to the UK. It’s been around ages and I had thought the buzz around it had died down until these lads started peddling it on Twitter.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
nice triangles View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nice triangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 9:57am
This CBD peddling craic is like the football auld lad version of the NFT pyramid scheme con trick .....these lads will do anything / say anything for money. Its all pretty undignified.  
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 10:06am

AS YOU WERE McGx

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 10:25am
His keys to my life episode was only ok.  Steve Walls last week was far better.  He didn’t mention cbd though 😂😂
AKA pedantic kunt
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

His keys to my life episode was only ok.  Steve Walls last week was far better.  He didn’t mention cbd though 😂😂

Yeah Steve wall, what a man Clap
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic