You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Game of Thrones

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 8:38pm
I have a feeling that neither John Snow or Deanerys are going to get the throne but one of the others will. Hope so anyway as both are annoying ****s who were useless on their fire breathing dragons during that battle, useless tygarian ****s

Edited by drog addict - 30 Apr 2019 at 8:44pm
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 3:08am
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

I have a feeling that neither John Snow or Deanerys are going to get the throne but one of the others will.

I am going for Gendry the blacksmith chap who is the bastard son of a King. Not much talk about him and all the focus on the main characters. I am thinking the throne won't go to anyone obvious.
The only way is up
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

People moaning for the sake of moaning. One of the best episodes of television ever.

God forbid anyone look at it with a critical eye. There's at least 5 GoT episodes I could name off the top of my head that are better without even considering other shows so hardly one of the best episodes of television ever. Still very good but had its faults. 

Nothing wrong with a critical eye, in fact I encourage it

People moaning about it being too dark despite it being a war, at night, against the Night King
Or the Dothraki being wiped out too easily, despite them using fear as one of their main weapons, again an army of the undead who don't know what fear is,
People just picking holes for the sake of trying to be cool and going against the grain

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 9:10am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Hold on. Hang on here. WTF 

Scene 41, Episode 2. Series 8

A 12 year old girl who is one of the best character took her clothes off and was riding- how has the internet not broke over this... Araya...it was literally the last thing I was expecting to see. My poor eyes. ShockingConfused

LOL

She is 22 now
Probably the most searched for thing on google after watching the episode, just to make sure it was alright to keep w**king

Fixed that for you

Speak for yourself Lass, I waited until it was over!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 9:13am
Originally posted by robbo robbo wrote:

Really enjoyed the episode but can understand why some were disappointed with it.

The lighting was dreadful. Switched the picture settings to dynamic and that improved it but the likes of the dragon battle were impossible to make out.

The White Walkers literally did nothing. I had expected them to face off against some of the main characters and if any White Walker died for the wights they had reanimated to die making the odds slightly better for the living. Probably understandable given that killing them means killing a chunk of their forces but it still seemed poor not giving them the sort of battle Jon had with one of them before.

The crypt stuff was ridiculous. They knew the Night King could raise the dead, no one thought of that? Not even Tyrion? Seriously?

Was told to watch it in the dark and I had no issues with seeing what was going on.
Agree with the White Walkers, would have expected a bit more out of them, but maybe they were just there to make sure the Night King got to Bran.
Actually didn't see the Crypt thing coming. I suppose they knew he could raise the dead, but maybe just the recently.
Would have been great to see a headless Ned Stark attacking them
Thought more main characters needed to die. Since they ran out of source material they've given up on the shock element that made it so good back in the day in favour of fan service. There were too many scenes when major characters were on the verge only to survive in spurious circumstances.

I do feel the whole threat of the army of the dead and the NK was dealt with too quickly but with only three episodes left there wasn't really much else they could do unless they marched South and I've always felt that they can only move with the winter. Although whether they were bringing the winter with them is another thing I've wondered.

I've resigned myself that it's not going to hit the heights of the middle seasons, it's still excellent though.

While I understand peoples complaints about the lighting, I think it's done as to not make the CGI look cheap but also, it's night time and it would look stupid if they added more lighting than just natural lighting. I thought the dead coming alive in the crypt was fairly obvious considering the week before they couldn't stress enough how safe it was going to be down there, but I get your point on no one even thinking they might come alive. Then again, maybe they thought the NK had to kill them for them to come alive.

There wasn't enough death of the main characters and the fact Sam survived was laughable but again, I think when they kill off big characters they like to give them screen time and it just didn't seem possible in that episode.

A few of my mates were saying they felt ripped off because of the battle being done in 1 episode and it seemed like they rushed that story line after building it up for years but again, the white walkers are a side story in the whole show, a pretty large one but still. The main premise of the show is who will end up on the iron throne. We've barely seen the white walkers throughout all seasons, it's just been built up incredibly well, maybe too well to their detriment, and people have lost sight of the fact they aren't the main story line in all of this. 

I thought last night was excellent. The knife drop was just brilliant and also the dothraki running in to battle with the flames all extinguishing was brilliant. 
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 1:08pm

People moaning for the sake of moaning. One of the best episodes of television ever.

God forbid anyone look at it with a critical eye. There's at least 5 GoT episodes I could name off the top of my head that are better without even considering other shows so hardly one of the best episodes of television ever. Still very good but had its faults. 

People moaning about it being too dark despite it being a war, at night, against the Night King
Or the Dothraki being wiped out too easily, despite them using fear as one of their main weapons, again an army of the undead who don't know what fear is,
People just picking holes for the sake of trying to be cool and going against the grain

I don't think it's picking holes to think that was a sh*t end to the white walker threat which had been built up for seven and a half seasons. Walder Frey did more damage than the Night King who was just added as a self destruct button for the show to dumb things down in my opinion. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 8:32am

Really enjoyed the episode but can understand why some were disappointed with it.

The lighting was dreadful. Switched the picture settings to dynamic and that improved it but the likes of the dragon battle were impossible to make out.

The White Walkers literally did nothing. I had expected them to face off against some of the main characters and if any White Walker died for the wights they had reanimated to die making the odds slightly better for the living. Probably understandable given that killing them means killing a chunk of their forces but it still seemed poor not giving them the sort of battle Jon had with one of them before.

The crypt stuff was ridiculous. They knew the Night King could raise the dead, no one thought of that? Not even Tyrion? Seriously?

Thought more main characters needed to die. Since they ran out of source material they've given up on the shock element that made it so good back in the day in favour of fan service. There were too many scenes when major characters were on the verge only to survive in spurious circumstances.

I do feel the whole threat of the army of the dead and the NK was dealt with too quickly but with only three episodes left there wasn't really much else they could do unless they marched South and I've always felt that they can only move with the winter. Although whether they were bringing the winter with them is another thing I've wondered.

I've resigned myself that it's not going to hit the heights of the middle seasons, it's still excellent though.

Was a brilliant episode and for TV it was pretty epic. It deserved to be seen on the big screen it was that good. The only problem I had with it was playing safe with the character deaths. Maybe I am being hasty and the battle for the Iron throne will be carnage but I think it has lost that shock value as well where if you hadn't read the books(which I hadn't) some deaths came as a complete shock. Theon and Jorah were probably B players really. Melisan dre was a big character but hss fallen into the background and Beric and Lady Mormont were expendable at any time. I thought Brienne could have been killed heroically as a Knight and maybe one of Tormund(what does he care about the Iron throne) or Gendry. They played it to safe.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 8:47am
Surely there will be no more battles. Nearly everyone is dead!! 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 9:07am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Surely there will be no more battles. Nearly everyone is dead!! 

When you have two dragons I am not sure you need many soldiers.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 9:41am
Forgot about the weapon they have in King's Landing for the dragons. You'd imagine Cersei has vastly superior numbers at her disposal than Jon and Danerys.

Just give us the Mountain vs the Hound, the one we all want to see.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 10:54am
it's a business. They have milked an extra two series to keep the cash cow rolling in.

Still very enjoyable all the same 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 11:14am
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

I don't think it's picking holes to think that was a sh*t end to the white walker threat which had been built up for seven and a half seasons. Walder Frey did more damage than the Night King who was just added as a self destruct button for the show to dumb things down in my opinion. 

I think I was just annoyed with people critising it for being too dark. Of course there were flaws, and defeating the night king was surprisingly easy, but still, thoroughly enjoyable and one of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 1:16pm
I've watched it back, with a better quality stream. When you're actually able to see things, it is as good visually as anything I've seen on telly before. Still can't get past the plot problems though, no amount of dragon scraps (Viserion getting half his face ripped off was class to be fair) can cover them. I'm hoping for something epic from Cersei in the last few episodes, but I wouldn't put it past the writers to do sweet f*ck all with her

Edited by HuntysCousin - 02 May 2019 at 1:20pm
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 1:55pm
If he gets around to the books I think they will play out much better 
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 4:20pm
The importance of prudent accounting gets overlooked these day Fruice
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

it's a business. They have milked an extra two series to keep the cash cow rolling in.

Still very enjoyable all the same 
Fair play to them for doing it. Gonna be a sad day when it's all over and we have to go back to whatever the next series will be.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 6:09pm
Haven't read the books but is there any characters who died in the books that are still in the show?
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
robbo View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Haven't read the books but is there any characters who died in the books that are still in the show?

No. People have this idea in their heads that they’ll differ. He sat down with the writers and told them how to finish the show as it’s how he intends to finish the books.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic