You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How confident are you about this campaign?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
Poll Question: Will we qualify for the Euros?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [2.90%]
50 [36.23%]
11 [7.97%]
60 [43.48%]
8 [5.80%]
5 [3.62%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

The draw between Switzerland and Denmark was, in my opinion, a bad result for us. 

Said it at the time as I felt our best chance was to sneak 2nd ahead of Denmark by drawing with them home and away but taking more points from the Switzerland games than Denmark.

Still possible for us to achieve that but Im not confident at all. We need Switzerland to win in Denmark, yet not win in Dublin, tough to realistically have any confidence in that happening.

Draw puts pressure on the Swiss. They had some pretty bad finishing vs Portugal and while they’re a good team top to bottom, not having a superstar could help. 

Edited by cildaratown - 08 Jun 2019 at 6:16pm
Sponsored Links

armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:19pm
Unfortunately i can see this panning out similiar to the last campaign albeit playing a bit more football. Reckon we will pick up a draw away to the swiss but get undone at home. Hard to see us breaking down a team at the minute. A playoff with the north is probably the best we can hope for.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Confident is the wrong word - i dont think anyone could be 'confident' about our chances. I'm optimistic. We'll be right in the mix till the end, and it'll be a matter of who blinks first.

The Swiss and the Danes have better squads than us on paper, but we've been in that situation before. I'd say its the flip of a coin in it, in terms of our chances at the end of the group landing in the top 2.
A flip of a coin? Really? 
The Swiss are around evens to win the group, the Danes around 6/4 and we are around 9/2. I would say that is more accurate than suggesting we are evens to finish second.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Confident is the wrong word - i dont think anyone could be 'confident' about our chances. I'm optimistic. We'll be right in the mix till the end, and it'll be a matter of who blinks first.

The Swiss and the Danes have better squads than us on paper, but we've been in that situation before. I'd say its the flip of a coin in it, in terms of our chances at the end of the group landing in the top 2.
A flip of a coin? Really? 
The Swiss are around evens to win the group, the Danes around 6/4 and we are around 9/2. I would say that is more accurate than suggesting we are evens to finish second.

I suppose that is a bit of a stretch, though i think it could be mostly draws between the top 3 in the group, with one big result being enough to see one team rise above. It does look like we really deflated Denmark with that draw, had read a couple articles online suggesting that with Hareide it might be starting to go stale, a miraculous draw in Switzerland aside. I think that could be our best bet in hoping Denmark start to go off the boil.

It would take a braver man than me to bet against the Swiss having the group won with a game to spare, though.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 08 Jun 2019 at 6:27pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:35pm
Got to be a bit of pressure on Denmark Monday night whereas not much on George as they have their playoff sorted. No early goal and it could turn hard.
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:35pm
Bosnia losing to Finland isn’t great. Could also be in the League B playoffs. Might not be the worst thing to be the 5th best League B team. But if we are 4th and the North end up getting the easy League A draw with Iceland and League C that wouldn’t be good. 
royal rover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royal rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:42pm
I would be optimistic of auto qualification if we can beat Switzerland at home, it won't be easy but I think its possible. 
royal rover
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by royal rover royal rover wrote:

I would be optimistic of auto qualification if we can beat Switzerland at home, it won't be easy but I think its possible. 

It wouldn't be easy but not an impossibility either. The Swiss are very good but they are not a France, NL, Germany etc
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 8:44pm
Not improbable for the 3 of us to draw all games between us. If that is the case, and we are all level on points, it will come down to goals scored (I assume), so their 3-3 draw will probably be enough to put both of them through. 

I reckon we'll draw 2 and lose 1 out of our 3 remaining games. So long as the team who beat us, in this scenario, is the same team who win in Copenhagen, we'll get 2nd!

Edited by Lenny82 - 08 Jun 2019 at 8:46pm
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:15am
I fear we'll only get 1-2 points in the next 3 games meaning we will likely have to hope Denmark also trip up along the way and then hope to beat them in the last game. Not confident either way
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:32am
In truth many were worried that we would be slogging it out with Georgia for 3rd before a ball was kicked if O'Neill was going to still be in charge for this camaign.

Finishing 3rd is acceptable and realistic, I think 2nd is beyond us.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:52am
I'm not sure we can use Gibraltar as any sort of form guide for later in the tournament.

Having said that, we will need to play a million times better to take anything off the big two.
Adobolo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

In truth many were worried that we would be slogging it out with Georgia for 3rd before a ball was kicked if O'Neill was going to still be in charge for this camaign.

Why would we be worried about finishing 3rd? Might as well finish 5th as 3rd because playoff places were decided trough the nations league. Most likely outcome at this stage is we will go into the last game against Denmark needing a win because our goal difference will be inferior. 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:08am
Originally posted by Adobolo Adobolo wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Why would we be worried about finishing 3rd? Might as well finish 5th as 3rd because playoff places were decided trough the nations league. Most likely outcome at this stage is we will go into the last game against Denmark needing a win because our goal difference will be inferior. 

"Worried" was very much tongue in cheek I thought it came across as rather obvious.

Finishing 3rd is acceptable because we're not better than Denmark or Switzerland, both are superior teams to us and I just don't think we're good enough to finish ahead of either.

It would take a mammoth effort and a huge slice of luck for us to finish in the top 2 with how we've performed thus far and given the quality of our squad.

Edited by Green Devil - 11 Jun 2019 at 1:10am
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 2:11am
Am I right in saying that if we don't qualify directly we need most of them teams above us to qualify automatically for us to get the chance of a play off? think it would need to be 7 of them?

I could be wrong but trying to get my head around it. 
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 2:19am
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Am I right in saying that if we don't qualify directly we need most of them teams above us to qualify automatically for us to get the chance of a play off? think it would need to be 7 of them?

Pretty much. However if 4 of the teams above us fail to qualify, we'd get put into the League A qualifiers if there are open spots. Right now, it looks like Iceland will fail to qualify, but the other league A teams look pretty strong. 
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 2:29am
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Pretty much. However if 4 of the teams above us fail to qualify, we'd get put into the League A qualifiers if there are open spots. Right now, it looks like Iceland will fail to qualify, but the other league A teams look pretty strong. 

So there is a pretty good chance that we will make a play off. Fingers crossed anyway. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I'm not sure we can use Gibraltar as any sort of form guide for later in the tournament.

Having said that, we will need to play a million times better to take anything off the big two.

We played slightly better against Denmark away from home and got a draw.

Ireland will be looking for a huge amount of fortunate events to happen for us to qualify, similar to previous campaigns.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
  Share Topic