You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How confident are you about this campaign?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
Poll Question: Will we qualify for the Euros?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [2.90%]
50 [36.23%]
11 [7.97%]
60 [43.48%]
8 [5.80%]
5 [3.62%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skylarking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 10:23am
Highly confident about inventing new swear words whilst watching Ireland play this campaign. Gickwipe was something I coined during one of the Macedonia games years ago
Sponsored Links

LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 11:02am
Originally posted by skylarking skylarking wrote:

Highly confident about inventing new swear words whilst watching Ireland play this campaign. Gickwipe was something I coined during one of the Macedonia games years ago

Award award award award for this chap.........Embarrassed
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:04pm
Accused of being on drugs or living in a dream for predicting a Danish World Cup hangover, and yet here we are.

Said we needed a favour after the Swiss game and the Georgians have delivered.

The team is positioned perfectly for qualification now. Only a spectacular collapse can stop us.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:17pm
If we don't qualify from the group, it most probably will be anything but a spectacular collapse. We have to beat Georgia, and then it will come down to needing some sort of result against Denmark in Dublin. On the level of our performances so far, I'm not sure how anyone would be hugely confident of us winning any match. We are brilliant at getting draws though. Who knows, like was said all along, maybe we can draw ourselves to qualification. That is a possibility if the Danes don't beat the Swiss.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:21pm
Doom doom doom, no matter how often the predictions of downfall go awry the doom merchants continue unabated. If you continually expect the worst, eventually you'll get your wish I suppose.
We're decent enough..
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

If we don't qualify from the group, it most probably will be anything but a spectacular collapse. We have to beat Georgia, and then it will come down to needing some sort of result against Denmark in Dublin. On the level of our performances so far, I'm not sure how anyone would be hugely confident of us winning any match. We are brilliant at getting draws though. Who knows, like was said all along, maybe we can draw ourselves to qualification. That is a possibility if the Danes don't beat the Swiss.

Well at least we’ve put ourselves in the position to have a “spectacular collapse” 
Did you think we’d be in as good a position as this after 5 games? 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 08 Sep 2019 at 9:24pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Probably 3rd but I think we have a decent chance of getting 2nd.  If we have 9 or 10 points after 4 games which we should have then momentum is gathering on our side and it will go down to the wire between us and the Swiss or Denmark.

I think we are capapble of getting 2nd.  Our squad is sh*te but if we are well set up with a good happy camp under Mick then we will be respectable against anyone.

MON had morale rock bottom and played anti-football and was able to get draws against the Danes.  I can't see why a better set up EIRE with better tactics and team spirit can't at least match that.

My prediction is coming along nicely.  Cool
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Doom doom doom, no matter how often the predictions of downfall go awry the doom merchants continue unabated. If you continually expect the worst, eventually you'll get your wish I suppose.

LOL

I'm not sure what the doom merchant part of what I said is. We are going to have to win games at some point in this group. If by some holy chance we can get through by not beating the Danes or the Swiss over the 4 games, of course this represents our best chance - I just don't see how we can beat those sides. We generally aren't trying to win matches, we are trying not to lose them. 

Beat Georgia and if the maths go our way, we might just need a draw against the Danes to qualify. That would be an incredible position to be in considering our performances in this group.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Well at least we’ve put ourselves in the position to have a “spectacular collapse” 
Did you think we’d be in as good a position as this after 5 games? 

It won't be a spectacular collapse if we don't qualify from here though. It will be anything but.

Beat Georgia and we'll have shot in a 1 off home match to qualify. That result today has given us a shot. At some stage we are going to have to stop trying to not lose matches though, and actually start trying to win games.

We'll we were playing Gibraltar twice, and Georgia at home in our first 5 matches. We were always going to be in a decent position. If those who think that we are in a position where only a collapse will stop us, I'd look at the table without the Gibraltar results for a dose of reality.
Paul Andrew White View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Andrew White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:41pm
Denmark will win it vs the Swiss, lads mark my words!
Paul Andrew White View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Andrew White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:43pm
We need a victory in georgia
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Paul Andrew White Paul Andrew White wrote:

We need a victory in georgia

Need to beat Georgia or at least one of Swiss / Danes depending on the result between the two games 
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 10:01pm
Denmark will come to Dublin in the last game needing to win the game. A draw will put us through. 

(I expect us to beat Georgia. They are a tricky opponent but our type of game doesn't suit them. And Switzerland won't lose in Copenhagen.)

So, to lose out on automatic qualification for the Euros to a struggling Danish side, in a home game, would be brutal.

I was wrong to state that it would be a spectacular collapse. That is too strong, but we'd definitely be kicking ourselves for years to come if we were to blow it in such a fashion.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 10:09pm
Without lads jumping on this comment - we actually have a decent chance of winning the group. 

If we are serious about qualifying we have to grind out a win in Tbilisi. We are more than capable of getting a draw in Geneva and then a home game v the Danes to achieve 1st or 2nd. 

Like it is a winnable group. I know we are cat but we the other teams in the group aren't playing well (or as some eluded to are having a world cup and nations league hangover respectively). We won't have a better chance. 

I caught the last 30 mins of the game today and the Danes were all over the place. Like giving away silly fouls and were unable to string passes together. They rattled the bar alright but so did the Georgians albeit called for offside then.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 10:30pm
I'm confident everyone will turn up next month. Even flash 'arry.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 10:33pm
It's incredibly hard to call. Obviously a very good result for us today but traditionally we struggle with the favourites tag and I can see the game over in Georgia being very tough. Having said that, if you offered us this situation 6 months ago we definitely would have taken it and if we want to be qualifying for tournaments you would want to be beating Georgia home and away. I think they struggle against our style of play more than they do against possession based teams, hopefully we will grab a 1-0 win and set us up in a really good position going into the final two games.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Accused of being on drugs or living in a dream for predicting a Danish World Cup hangover, and yet here we are.

Said we needed a favour after the Swiss game and the Georgians have delivered.

The team is positioned perfectly for qualification now. Only a spectacular collapse can stop us.
like losing to two higher ranked sides? Quit jiving me turkey 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 9:13am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Without lads jumping on this comment - we actually have a decent chance of winning the group. 

If we are serious about qualifying we have to grind out a win in Tbilisi. We are more than capable of getting a draw in Geneva and then a home game v the Danes to achieve 1st or 2nd. 

Like it is a winnable group. I know we are cat but we the other teams in the group aren't playing well (or as some eluded to are having a world cup and nations league hangover respectively). We won't have a better chance. 

I caught the last 30 mins of the game today and the Danes were all over the place. Like giving away silly fouls and were unable to string passes together. They rattled the bar alright but so did the Georgians albeit called for offside then.

I would rather shut up shop and try and play safe for 2nd than go balls out to win the group and end up costing ourselves a top 2 spot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
  Share Topic