You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How confident are you about this campaign?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>
Poll Question: Will we qualify for the Euros?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [2.90%]
50 [36.23%]
11 [7.97%]
60 [43.48%]
8 [5.80%]
5 [3.62%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Another 22 days of this stuff

Only 22 days till our next game but 95 days until the end of the campaign. A long way of conspiracys and sh*te talk to go yet.  
The dark side.. And the light
Sponsored Links

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 12:56pm
if we beat swiss at home then we qualify imo 
if we draw then we are already in trouble but not out. 
most likely we will draw

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

most likely we will draw

If we beat the Swiss at home I will vote Tory.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

most likely we will draw

LOL LOL LOL

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

most likely we will draw

LOL LOL LOL

I will pay for a back sack and crack for Baggio if we beat the Swiss or Danes at home

Edited by LO SCIENZIATO - 15 Aug 2019 at 3:37pm
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 3:51pm
Both teams are significantly better than us. Would think it would take something special for us to get something out of the Swiss away game, home games probably two draws.

What does work in our favour is our consistency, we have to be one of the most consistent non-elite teams in Europe at staying in or around the same level, barring the result in the second leg against Denmark two years ago. It's why we've meandered through groups beating the lower teams, drawing against the bigger teams and 'hoping results elsewhere go our way' which they almost always do, because one team either plays out of their skin (Armenia suddenly becoming the best team in the world back in 2011) or another team sh*ts the bed entirely (Scotland, Austria, Wales the list goes on). If we stay at the level we have done for years, we have a chance of one of those teams having an off day, such as Denmark in the first 84 minutes against the Swiss, or the Swiss in the last 6 minutes of the same game.

You don't actually have to be that good to succeed in international football. Organisation and discipline will take you very far. We lost that in the end under MON - or probably more accurately, our neglect of it eventually showed under MON.

We will be in with a shout in the last game at home to Denmark. It'll probably be needing a win. But beating Georgia away (provided we do it) will put us almost in that position already. Denmark failing to beat us at home is a big opportunity lost for them, and them and the Swiss still have to play each other again.

Having said all that, i still think the likeliest scenario is we go into Denmark at home needing a win, which we ultimately fail to get.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 15 Aug 2019 at 3:53pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 4:35pm
Are Switzerland or Denmark better then Germany when we beat them in 2015? Don't think so.
We're probably the same standard as we were back then.
Stranger things have happened. 
The dark side.. And the light
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Are Switzerland or Denmark better then Germany when we beat them in 2015? Don't think so.
We are nowhere near where we were then! Even if it was an average enough Irish side.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 5:17pm

We are nowhere near where we were then! Even if it was an average enough Irish side.

In fairness, the team we had out that night was very weak. a long-since past it given in goal (replaced by Randolph in his competitive debut), Christie at RB, Keogh (probably better then), an over-the-hill O'Shea, Ward, Hendrick, McCarthy, Brady, Hoolahan, Daryl Murphy, Jon Walters.

Keogh is probably the only one who was better then than he is now. Brady and hendrick were inconsistent back then as well, Ward would get in over Stevens perhaps, but not by much. Wes was our creative spark of course, but you'd agree as much as me about Ireland's tendency to overrate him. Walters we could really use now.

Back then we didn't have our best player on the pitch, we now have 2 in the same position.

However, i'm arguing a moot point here because while i disagree that we're now miles off the side we were then, that was a freak result.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 5:49pm
What utter sh*te OTOR LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 5:51pm
Every team we put out now is very weak. I still think that team would beat our strongest team now, even if it was a poor side!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 5:51pm
Edit: we would probably nick a draw off ourselves!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 6:15pm

Edit: we would probably nick a draw off ourselves!

LOL
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 6:35pm

Agree. We have miles off where we were then. We have regressed at an unbelievable rate of knots. It's why I find so much of the talk of finishing top 2 strange. Is it just that our Mick is back? Is that what everything is based on?
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Greenlad11 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenlad11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 6:44pm

Agree. We have miles off where we were then. We have regressed at an unbelievable rate of knots. It's why I find so much of the talk of finishing top 2 strange. Is it just that our Mick is back? Is that what everything is based on?

Look at the group we’re in. Bang average to poor would be the group rating.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Greenlad11 Greenlad11 wrote:

Look at the group we’re in. Bang average to poor would be the group rating.

LOL LOL

If we are average as plenty think (imo we are muck btw), are you saying that Switzerland and Denmark are average also? As in we are more or less at the same standard as the Swiss and Danes? F*ckin hell LOL
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Both teams are significantly better than us. Would think it would take something special for us to get something out of the Swiss away game, home games probably two draws.

What does work in our favour is our consistency, we have to be one of the most consistent non-elite teams in Europe at staying in or around the same level, barring the result in the second leg against Denmark two years ago. It's why we've meandered through groups beating the lower teams, drawing against the bigger teams and 'hoping results elsewhere go our way' which they almost always do, because one team either plays out of their skin (Armenia suddenly becoming the best team in the world back in 2011) or another team sh*ts the bed entirely (Scotland, Austria, Wales the list goes on). If we stay at the level we have done for years, we have a chance of one of those teams having an off day, such as Denmark in the first 84 minutes against the Swiss, or the Swiss in the last 6 minutes of the same game.

You don't actually have to be that good to succeed in international football. Organisation and discipline will take you very far. We lost that in the end under MON - or probably more accurately, our neglect of it eventually showed under MON.

We will be in with a shout in the last game at home to Denmark. It'll probably be needing a win. But beating Georgia away (provided we do it) will put us almost in that position already. Denmark failing to beat us at home is a big opportunity lost for them, and them and the Swiss still have to play each other again.

Having said all that, i still think the likeliest scenario is we go into Denmark at home needing a win, which we ultimately fail to get.

Sense at last 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 9:35am
As Rolo pointed out before the draw Denmark got in Switzerland was a terrible result for us. It has been mitigated somewhat by our fortunate point in Copenhagen. Ultimately, we will probably still need to beat one of these teams at home to go through. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>
  Share Topic