You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How confident are you about this campaign?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 17>
Poll Question: Will we qualify for the Euros?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [2.90%]
50 [36.23%]
11 [7.97%]
60 [43.48%]
8 [5.80%]
5 [3.62%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 1:39am

16.03 b

Until we know the teams, nothing can be predicted. There are far, far too many variables.
Sponsored Links

cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 2:55am
I feel bad for whoever had to come up with the Nations League rules. General idea is pretty easy to understand after you hear it explained, but the technicalities are almost impossible to know or communicate.
conor253 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conor253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 11:37am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

16.03 b

Until we know the teams, nothing can be predicted. There are far, far too many variables.
I wonder if by draw they mean that they just allocate the team's into the places as outlined in the video here http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/newsid=2581807.html
skylarking View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skylarking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Why do you bother following the team with an attitude like that?

I'm glad fans have a critical attitude ... should be way more critical.

The truly harmful attitudes in Irish soccer have been the total neglect of the domestic game, halfwitted sectarianism of the two football associations on one island (and they're quite happy to remain like that, no matter how harmful it is), not to mention the award winning world's best fans having to send each other DMs in order to get their hands on an actual replica jersey (the only country in FIFA like this, Celtic sell their sponsorless jersey for a 25% discount, same manufacturer as us). 

But I still find myself shouting, cheering and screaming the national side on, despite them playing like someone boxing underwater.

Edited by skylarking - 15 Jun 2019 at 12:29pm
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:45pm
4 group games left with us in 1st place but with more games played than Denmark and Switzerland

We need to win 3 of the last 4 games but 2 tough trips to Georgia and Switzerland and then we have Swiss at home and last day out Denmark at home (we should have an idea what we have to do by then)

If we get to the playoffs than i think were not strong enough to win it as Wales will possibly be there too along with other strong teams
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:18pm
Two draws and two losses would be my prediction.
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:23pm
I reckon we’ll beat Georgia away , draw at home to swiss and Danes and lose to swiss away

Edited by Pauldaly1984 - 14 Aug 2019 at 5:23pm
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:52pm
4 tough games left. We've given ourselves a fighting chance mathematically of top 2 in the group, but chances are we will have to win at least 2 of the remaining 4 games. 0 chance of that happening imo.

I'm gonna say 1 point out the 4 remaining games. Most likely nick that away to Georgia.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:20pm

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

4 tough games left. We've given ourselves a fighting chance mathematically of top 2 in the group, but chances are we will have to win at least 2 of the remaining 4 games. 0 chance of that happening imo.

I'm gonna say 1 point out the 4 remaining games. Most likely nick that away to Georgia.

As optimistic as ever LOL

Can see us getting 5 points from 4 but realistically we will need to gain 7 more points to qualify directly. 

Am I correct in saying we haven't qualified directly for a major competition since Belfast 1993??
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:29pm
1 win, 3 draws. Whether thats enough,  ive no idea
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:29pm
We'll draw our way to qualification....and beyond!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

LOL

It's so grim, that it's either laughing about it or crying, so like you I'm laughing.

I think we are looking at anywhere between 0-2 points in those remaining games. I plumped for 1 point but I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if we ended with 0.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:39pm

LOL

It's so grim, that it's either laughing about it or crying, so like you I'm laughing.

I think we are looking at anywhere between 0-2 points in those remaining games. I plumped for 1 point but I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if we ended with 0.
I think we will draw in Tbilisi and the last game. Unless the Swiss have qualified when we go there, then it will be a draw.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:50pm
I was thinking myself our best chance of getting a point from the 4 games was in the last game if there's nothing at stake
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:50pm

LOL

How could our current position be described as "grim", we've 3 wins and a draw from 4 games ffs, it could scarcely have went much better. We're in a better position than any other team in the group to qualify, so what's with the pervasive pessimism?
We're decent enough..
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

LOL

How could our current position be described as "grim", we've 3 wins and a draw from 4 games ffs, it could scarcely have went much better. We're in a better position than any other team in the group to qualify, so what's with the pervasive pessimism?

I'll bite. We have effectively 4 points from 2 games. After the draw away to Denmark, where we should have been 4/5 down before we equalised late on, we have given ourselves a fighting chance mathematically of qualifying.

Realistically though, we will not be beating any of Denmark and Switzerland over those 4 games. We never were going to. If somehow we drew some of those matches, beat Georgia away and the Swiss beat Denmark, we could squeak through in second.

I think we are in for a horrid few months myself. Nothing points another way. It is always interesting to see so many say we're in a great position in the group though, a group where Denmark and Switzerland will pick up 12 points in their matches against Gibraltar and Georgia. If you believe that will happen the group takes on a totally different complexion - to our 1 point vs Denmark, Denmark have 2 points vs Ireland and Swiss, Swiss have 1 point vs Denmark.

The thought process that we are in a great place in the group is utter b*llox tbh. The group has barely even started for us effectively.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 14 Aug 2019 at 7:00pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:13pm
No one said we're in a "great place", but we're certainly in a good place. Using your estimation that we'll only get 0-2 points from the remsining games, it wouldn't even matter if we had 4 wins from 4 so far, you're effectively saying we were doomed from the start and never had any chance. I don't think any of the indicators point to that, we've started well, played some decent footballer, and historically we're usually there or thereabouts when it comes to qualifying. I simply don't see exactly what there is to be so negative about; we know we can beat Georgia, we know we can get another draw with Denmark, so the only unknown is Switzerland. Switzerland are better than us for sure, but they aren't so much better that I'd give them good odds of taking all 6 points off us (which is what they'd have to do to put us in a truly dire position...).
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 17>
  Share Topic