You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How confident are you about this campaign?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 17>
Poll Question: Will we qualify for the Euros?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [2.90%]
50 [36.23%]
11 [7.97%]
60 [43.48%]
8 [5.80%]
5 [3.62%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor.ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

We’ll draw the three games vs the big two and win in Georgia.

Denmark will lose to Switzerland in Copenhagen. 

Can you post up tomorrow nights Lotto numbersLOL
Its Keane Yes
Sponsored Links

rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

We need 7 points. With our goal difference, only in the unlikeliest of scenarios, less will be good enough unfortunately - and I know it comes down to head to head first but only likely scenario is we’ll at least match the Danes here on in and then they’ll just need a score draw to qualify. It would be a miracle if we didn’t concede to them if they needed goals

Six points could well be enough to qualify from here.

If we win one of our next three games (or draw all of them), that puts us on 13. Beat Denmark and that puts us on 16.

The only way Denmark get to 16 or above is by winning all of their other games... so we'd only need them to drop points in one other game, either at home to Switzerland or away to Georgia.

I don't think that's beyond the realms of possibility. And if, for example, Denmark beat Switzerland, and we get six more points, with three against Switzerland, then we are on 16 and the maximum Switzerland are can get is also 16, so we would be on head to head against them, and that's again assuming they win all their other games, though of course they should.

Six points could well be enough without asking for much at all. Seven is basically guaranteed to be enough, barring the very unlikely series of events where we would end up on the same number of points as Denmark and Switzerland on 17... all beating Georgia, then winning one, losing one and drawing two of the four head to head games. Even then, it would go to head to head.

And another - more likely - route to us finishing on 16 points is draw both games with Switzerland, beat Georgia away, and draw at home to Denmark. This route requires Denmark to lose at home to Switzerland though. This is why that 3-3 draw was bad for us, if the Swiss had held on and won, a draw in the Denmark v Switzerland return game in Copenhagen would have been a good result for us in the route to automatic qualification I've mentioned.
That route, which is basically drawing our way to the Euros, has been dealt a huge blow by that 3-3.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 7:05pm
I reckon we'll get 5 points from our last 12, which will hopefully be enough.
We're decent enough..
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

We need 7 points. With our goal difference, only in the unlikeliest of scenarios, less will be good enough unfortunately - and I know it comes down to head to head first but only likely scenario is we’ll at least match the Danes here on in and then they’ll just need a score draw to qualify. It would be a miracle if we didn’t concede to them if they needed goals

If we win one of our next three games (or draw all of them), that puts us on 13. Beat Denmark and that puts us on 16.

The only way Denmark get to 16 or above is by winning all of their other games... so we'd only need them to drop points in one other game, either at home to Switzerland or away to Georgia.

I don't think that's beyond the realms of possibility. And if, for example, Denmark beat Switzerland, and we get six more points, with three against Switzerland, then we are on 16 and the maximum Switzerland are can get is also 16, so we would be on head to head against them, and that's again assuming they win all their other games, though of course they should.

Six points could well be enough without asking for much at all. Seven is basically guaranteed to be enough, barring the very unlikely series of events where we would end up on the same number of points as Denmark and Switzerland on 17... all beating Georgia, then winning one, losing one and drawing two of the four head to head games. Even then, it would go to head to head.

And another - more likely - route to us finishing on 16 points is draw both games with Switzerland, beat Georgia away, and draw at home to Denmark. This route requires Denmark to lose at home to Switzerland though. This is why that 3-3 draw was bad for us, if the Swiss had held on and won, a draw in the Denmark v Switzerland return game in Copenhagen would have been a good result for us in the route to automatic qualification I've mentioned.
That route, which is basically drawing our way to the Euros, has been dealt a huge blow by that 3-3.

Why would we need Switzerland to win in Denmark in this scenario? Surely any result, other than a draw, would be enough for us to pip the loser in to 2nd place by 1 point?
Trevor.ie View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor.ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:03pm
These threads are so fcuking idioticThumbs Down
Its Keane Yes
Trevor.ie View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor.ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Mikeire Mikeire wrote:

Originally posted by Trevor.ie Trevor.ie wrote:

These threads are so fcuking idioticThumbs Down

Don’t look at them?
Point TakenThumbs Up
Its Keane Yes
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:27pm
Based on the way the results are going, looks like there are going to be some good teams in the league B playoffs. Wales and Bosnia could both be there, maybe Turkey as well. Ideally we'd want to be the 5th best League B team not qualified if every A team qualifies I believe. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Agree. 

I wanted the Swiss to win that game as they're arguably the strongest team and it would do us a favour. 

It's a similar result in Wales's group where Hungary beat Croatia. Disaster for Wales and they're in a right dogfight given tonight's result. 

We have to beat one of them at home which is very unlikely. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 10:22pm
Wales doing sh*t could cost us a playoff 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Wales doing sh*t could cost us a playoff 

It won't cost us a playoff, but could cost us a spot in the Euros if we can't beat them in the playoff
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Crap senior Crap senior wrote:

Any scenario where we wouldn' get a play off?

We are 23rd. Pretty much would have to have 8 teams above us not qualify. Looks highly unlikely at this point. Might not get a favorable draw however depending on how some teams like Wales who are above us finish. 
The Tribesman View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:32pm
While I don't realistically see us getting many more points, perhaps as little as 2, we couldn't have realistically expected any more than the 10 we have from the games to date.
We could have actually got as little as 3, draws against all the Gs  so far.
That's how lucky we have been, a deflected goal and an apparent foul throw last night, a Banksian like save over there and goal V Georgia as tennis balls rained down are the reasons why we got the G points so far!
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:36pm
And strikers who are incapable of scoring @ international level!
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:41pm
The playoffs aren’t so much of a dead certainty at the moment. The strong performances from Kosovo, Hungary, Romania, Israel and Finland after the 1st few qualifiers is a bit worrying. Even Serbia aren’t totally out of the running in their group despite the 5-0 drubbing to Ukraine. I still expect most of the League A and B teams to see off these teams in the end up but you never know!
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

The playoffs aren’t so much of a dead certainty at the moment. The strong performances from Kosovo, Hungary, Romania, Israel and Finland after the 1st few qualifiers is a bit worrying. Even Serbia aren’t totally out of the running in their group despite the 5-0 drubbing to Ukraine. I still expect most of the League A and B teams to see off these teams in the end up but you never know!

Take out Swiss and Denmark who will have qualified if we are relying on a playoff and 8 out of 20 would have to not have come top 2 for this to be an issue. Realistically there won’t be any groups where neither the 1st nor 2nd seed qualify (groups now a bit skewed  - see NI fixture list for example) so then we’re down to needing 2 groups where both 1st and 2nd seeds do qualify. For me it’s a 1/50 shot we take one of those spots 

EDIT - Ignored the fact that there is 10 groups v 24 teams in the 1st 2 pots. Probably looking at both Slovakia and Wales losing out in Hungary’s group. 

Would love a trip to Cardiff for the playoff tournament

Edited by Pipkin - 11 Jun 2019 at 11:59pm
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 12:06am
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

To top the group, we need to beat Georgia. Hold the Danish again and beat the Swiss home or away. 

I genuinely don’t know what people expect, it’s largely the same group of players from Euro2016, who scrapped us to France. We scrapped ourselves to the play offs last time and had a huge opportunity but f**king blew it. 

We grind results out. We lack any top European player, our best player is arguably a second half PL defender in Duffy. We grind results out. We played better v Denmark than under MON, we could have won the game late on if McClean lifted his head.

We as a nation are consistently terrible v nations we’re expected
To beat. I’m hardly surprised we struggled v Gibraltar. We score from set pieces and counter attacks. Not sides who are afraid of us.
Is that assuming Georgia don't take any points off the Danes or Swiss? I've a feeling they will, only problem is I can't see us beating Georgia away. 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 12:14am
The way things are going, what odds would you get on none of last night's 4  strikers scoring in remaining qualifiers?
I'd say it's a possibility!
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 12:21am
2 points and 2 or less goals from our remaining group games, I would put that double at a 3/1 chance, if such a bet was possible!
And none of the 4 hotshots scoring in the remaining 4 games wouldn't get  odds from any sane turf accountant of more than 4/1 specifically!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 17>
  Share Topic