You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How confident are you about this campaign?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Poll Question: Will we qualify for the Euros?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [2.90%]
50 [36.23%]
11 [7.97%]
60 [43.48%]
8 [5.80%]
5 [3.62%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:11am
Probably stating the obvious but we'll know a whole lot more after the next fixture. If we can avoid defeat in Copenhagen, which is a pretty tall task, I would be reasonably confident of a top two finish.
Sponsored Links

gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:16am
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:16am
I think some of the team might have been out with us Conor the night before in McLarens :) fook I had some hangover match day
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:26am
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

I think some of the team might have been out with us Conor the night before in McLarens :) fook I had some hangover match day
That drinking analogy is quite apt actually.  God knows, the team looked very much like a pub team that had only just met each other that day for the first time in their lives - and had quite a few sherbets the night before, such was the 'performance' in that match.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Probably stating the obvious but we'll know a whole lot more after the next fixture. If we can avoid defeat in Copenhagen, which is a pretty tall task, I would be reasonably confident of a top two finish.

MON got 2 scoreless draws in Denmark. Surely anything less than a point is a backwards step

Edited by Missy - 18 Apr 2019 at 11:29am
All opinions are my own and have f**k all to do with Mullingar RISSC CRISC Ticket Office or the FAI
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Missy Missy wrote:

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

MON got 2 scoreless draws in Denmark. Surely anything less than a point isca backwards step
The second one wasn't even a friendly. A nothing game.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:35am
It's easy to say Mon got two draws in Denmark (Copenhagen and Aarhus) but we never in a million years looked like scoring a goal, I'd imagine Mick will have some sort of plan to try and win the game which in turn might us opened up at the back every now and then. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:40am
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/3998261/fai-complaint-not-related-john-delaney-loan/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Think you've stuck this link in the wrong thread tbh but still:

Now, I know that link is from a God-awful sh*t-stirring rag but I wouldn't be surprised if this story is true.  I think I mentioned that the €100k 'loan' was 2 years ago and that there could be more scandals/revelations still to emerge in relation to subsequent accounting years to that one.  And now, lo and behold...
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:56am
I'm reasonably optimistic. The Swiss will probably clean up in the group and top it relatively handy, though they royally made a balls of it against Denmark. It all comes down to how we do against Denmark home and away. They're a good side but nothing special, the 5-1 was down to suicidal management tactics. Hopefully this time it's a different story.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 1:52pm
I have always looked at this group as 4 games to test ourselves against Denmark and Switzerland in preperation for the Play Off game. 

Nothing has changed for me
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

the group should be viewed at all times without Gibraltar and any points gained from them. They won’t take a single point in this group with the exception maybe of getting s draw with Georgia at home. To view it any other way is coding yourself . 
I’ve heard of computer coding, but coding yourself is a new one.
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

I have always looked at this group as 4 games to test ourselves against Denmark and Switzerland in preperation for the Play Off game. 

Nothing has changed for me
A Nations League group as long as we  take 12 from 12 against Georgia and Gibraltar 
All opinions are my own and have f**k all to do with Mullingar RISSC CRISC Ticket Office or the FAI
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 2:50pm
I think we will not only win the group but go on to win the Euros too
Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 3:50pm
So Denmark had a decent world cup and a good run for a while, maybe they'll be a bit complacent against us this time around I mean they probably think they just need to show up and they'll win after the puke we served them up last few times. Or maybe they'll have improved. You never know, we might get a result against them and scrape 2nd, although 3rd is probably the most realistic outcome. 
FunkyMonkey View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunkyMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 9:31pm
I’m confident myself 

Think we will be there it thereabouts. 

Watched back the Eamon Dunphy interview with Mick on YouTube and Mick just seems like the type of bloke you would love to play for . Don’t think we will be an easy team to beat under him .

A few things he said stuck out , talking about playing bigger teams he said he would hunt down the chief and f**king let’s have em. Dunphy kept goo back to how good Ireland’s football was under him last time and he said he knows we can’t try play like that all the time and we need to get f**king stuck in from time to time .

He also mentioned how he though big jack was a head of the game with how he set Ireland up back then and how everyone knew exactly their job going out in the pitch . I think he is going to have us set to know exactly what we need to do in every match . 

Just have a good feeling about this campaign and think we can do it
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

the group should be viewed at all times without Gibraltar and any points gained from them. They won’t take a single point in this group with the exception maybe of getting s draw with Georgia at home. To view it any other way is coding yourself . 
I’ve heard of computer coding, but coding yourself is a new one.

Oh great a f**king comedian 
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:57pm
We have an excellent chance of qualifying. We have a strong defence, morale is being restored, our players are committed to the cause, work exceptionally hard and they are now working to a plan beyond an ultra limited defensive game.

We had fewer shots on target against Georgia in Dublin than we had in Tbilisi in the heavily criticised 1-1 under O'Neill. However the games were night and day. The game in Lansdowne was how we expect an Irish team to play. 

So things have changed. The O'Neill era is now irrelevant as a guide to future performances.

Our problem is who will put the ball in the back of the net. But that has been the case for decades now, and things usually work out in the end.

The big unknown is how McCarthy will approach the away games. In the past he was usually cautious. On two big occasions though he wasn't. The 2-2 draw in Holland and the 4-2 defeat in Russia. In both of those games we were unlucky.

As he's only new to the job, he'll probably be cautious in Copenhagen. A draw there is not impossible, and a result like that will put us right in contention.

A Danish World Cup hangover is very possible. A previous one helped us qualify for USA 94. 

Luck has always played apart in qualifying for tournaments, no matter the quality of the Ireland team.

How the group looks with a Danish hangover

Switzerland 3 - 3 Denmark

Denmark 1 - 1 Ireland

Ireland 1 - 1 Switzerland

Denmark 1 - 1 Switzerland

Switzerland 1 - 0 Ireland

Ireland 1 - 0 Denmark

.....................P....W...D...L...Pts

Switzerland...4....1....3...0...6
Ireland..........4....1....2...1...5
Denmark.......4....0....3...1...3

Edited by Terzino - 18 Apr 2019 at 10:59pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:59pm
I’ll take an ounce.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
  Share Topic